COVID-19 will be the fuel that gets Trump re-elected

Author: DrSpy

Total: 42
DrSpy
Debates: 7
DrSpy
Trump is going to get re-elected.

He is going to argue the following:

a). He is the best to get the country out of the depression/recession, cause it was perfect, like the phone call before the pandemic
b). The pandemic was Chinas fault
c)  The pandemic response was Obama's fault
d). Hard hit areas are metro areas, typically Democratic, so it is easy to blame Democratic leadership on poor outcomes
e). He deploys the military as a sign it is a war, which has a very powerful message.

And as LInoln said....   You don't want to swap horses while crossing a stream.  

TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@DrSpy
IF people could be honest, Biden should not be president for a many, many reasons, his declining mental state is enough to keep him from being president, IF people could be honest.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@DrSpy
a). He is the best to get the country out of the depression/recession, cause it was perfect, like the phone call before the pandemic
what does this even mean? trump panders to rich people and screws over the working class. That doesn't get you out of a depression. 

b). The pandemic was Chinas fault
this is just dumb. 1) how does that have anything to do with who will win the election? 2) it's a desease. The chinese didn't make it. They didn't try to spread it. Pandemics happen, this one just happens to have started in China. 

c)  The pandemic response was Obama's fault
what? He hasn't been president for almost 4 years. Trump tore down alot of the pandemic response stuff put in place by Obama. He continually called the disease a hoax and said it would magically disappear causing states and local governments to not take it seriously. 

d). Hard hit areas are metro areas, typically Democratic, so it is easy to blame Democratic leadership on poor outcomes
i agree that trump will try to shift blame. Even though it is largely his fault, he takes "0 responsibility" for the consequences of his actions. 

e). He deploys the military as a sign it is a war, which has a very powerful message.
so? He was over a month too late in taking this seriously. For gods sake he tried to get the lockdowns to end by Easter just a few days ago. He is far more concerned with getting his golf clubs back open than in saving hundreds of thousands of american lives. 

this is assuming the horse isn't retarded and actively trying to drown you. In this case, the president is trying to save rich people and their money, he could care less if you died. Switching horses would be best for everyone. 

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
IF people could be honest, Biden should not be president for a many, many reasons, his declining mental state is enough to keep him from being president, IF people could be honest.
agreed. Biden is a bad candidate. His mind is going. But if you could be honest you would say the exact same thing about trump. The guy is a nut job. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@HistoryBuff
Trump has plenty of faults, but he doesn't forget and lose his thoughts like Biden.  Biden is the worse choice between the 2 is all I'm saying.  I would prefer a more libertarian president, but since one doesn't have a snowball's chance, we have to play the hand we are dealt.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Trump has plenty of faults, but he doesn't forget and lose his thoughts like Biden.
what? Have you ever seen him talk without a prompter? He can't keep his thoughts straight to save his life. He rambles all over the place. 

Biden is the worse choice between the 2 is all I'm saying. 
no. Biden is bad. Trump is orders of magnitude worse. At least biden tries to hide his corruption. Trump does it right out in public and brags about it. 

I would prefer a more libertarian president, but since one doesn't have a snowball's chance, we have to play the hand we are dealt.
Libertarian would be worse than both. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@HistoryBuff
we'll just have to agree to disagree.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
we'll just have to agree to disagree.
i explained reality. You explained a fantasy world that exists inside your cult. We disagree on which world we are talking about. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@HistoryBuff
you explained your opinion, I'm not interested in getting into a back and forth with you so trying baiting someone else.  The videos are proof enough for me as to the mental state of public officials.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
you explained your opinion, I'm not interested in getting into a back and forth with you so trying baiting someone else.  The videos are proof enough for me as to the mental state of public officials.
agreed. And if you didn't know trump was president, watching him and watching a mental patient would be virtually indistinguishable. 

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
trump panders to rich people and screws over the working class. That doesn't get you out of a depression. 

Panders? What's wrong with taking personal initiative to change your paradigm? If you're not rich, why not? Change your paradigm. Be rich instead of fighting the condition. Hint: the guy in the mirror is your nemesis, not Trump, or anybody else. History ought to tell you well enough how to be buff, rich-wise, but, that's your moniker, not mine.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
what? Have you ever seen [Trump] talk without a prompter?

Yes, and I have also seen Oba'a without a TOTUS, so let's not parse presidents in that regard. Few Presidents have the gift of extemporaneous oratory. Does that detract from their ability to get the job done? Not in my experience. Hint: even Lincoln had a script for Gettysburg, but then, he wrote it, too.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
watching [Trump] and watching a mental patient would be virtually indistinguishable. 

Distinction is in the eye of the beholder. "Ague for you limitations; they're yours." - Richard Bach
skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@DrSpy
nahhhh i should be in charge 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@fauxlaw
Panders? What's wrong with taking personal initiative to change your paradigm? If you're not rich, why not? Change your paradigm. Be rich instead of fighting the condition.
i honestly can't tell if you are joking. Do you think an economic system designed to extract wealth from people and concentrate it in as few hands as possible allows most people to just choose to be rich? It is so childish that i seriously hope you're joking. 

Few Presidents have the gift of extemporaneous oratory. Does that detract from their ability to get the job done?
Of course it does. People have no idea what the hell he means. There is an entire industry on television based around translating what he says. IE trumps says something insane, stupid, borderline criminal, and people get paid a fortune to say "what trump really meant was..."

Trump told americans that COVID-19 was no big deal. It was a hoax. It would miraculously disappear. As a result america took little to no action to prepare. As a result hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of americans will die. One day he said it was an emergency, the next he wants to open businesses by Easter. His inability to have a clear message is literally killing people. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@DrSpy
[Trump] is the best to get the country out of the depression/recession,

"A common rule of thumb for recessions is two quarters of negative GDP growth. A depression is a prolonged period of economic recession marked by a significant decline in income and employment. There is no widely accepted definition of depressions." -https://study.com/academy/lesson/recession-vs-depression-definitions-and-differentiation.html

We are nowhere near the qualification threshold of a recession according to the above, not to mention a depression, and note that it relates to GDP, not to DJIA. Therefore, a recession is not qualified until and unless both Q1 and Q2 of 2020 are no-growth quarters, which we will not know until July, earliest. As for depression, since there is no "acceptable definition," it cannot yet be a topic of conversation as if it was upon us. It is acknowledged that a depression is worse than a recession; therefore, it has more severe qualifications, as noted. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@fauxlaw
it cannot yet be a topic of conversation as if it was upon us. It is acknowledged that a depression is worse than a recession; therefore, it has more severe qualifications, as noted. 
Your kind of splitting hairs. You are arguing that although we know that the definition of recession is going to happen, you don't want us to use that word to describe the situation until those things happen. You are just delaying our ability to accurately describe our situation. 

The market has taken the biggest beating it has taken since the great depression, by some metrics it is worse than the great depression. Trying to keep people from describing it is not particularly constructive. 

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@DrSpy

“America will never be destroyed from the outside [such as by a rabid virus]. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” 
― Abraham Lincoln

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
Description must be accurate, not a generalized syntax, or that description is worthless. Tell me how helpful it is in a court of law to have the prosecution ask a prosecution witness, a recognized scholar in investment strategy, if we are currently experiencing a recession? The witness first replies that, "...according to..." and cites the source I have given to DrSpy in my post #16.  In this hypothetical trial, the plaintiff sued his broker because plaintiffs investments have declined. The charge against defendant is that the broker did not have a contingency plan to protect plaintiff's investments, when, in fact, there is no recession according to the expert witness that would require a contingency plan. Defendant argues that it is upon the plaintiff to request a contingency, fearing the potential future of a recession or depression, when such conditions are not yet in evidence.

Do you see how essential it is to avoid generalities? It's sloppy language and that is all it is.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@skittlez09
Go for it, Cookie.
DrSpy
DrSpy
-->
@fauxlaw
That was not my belief for the record.  That is what he is claiming :)
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
The market has taken the biggest beating it has taken since the great depression,

"Since Trump’s election, the S&P 500 Index SPY, -4.50% has produced a 42% total return, including dividends. After adjusting for inflation, that works out to a compound “real return” of more than 11% a year." [as of Aug 19, 2017] according to https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-truth-about-the-stock-market-that-never-trumpers-cant-accept-2019-08-08.

"The historic average since the 1920s: Just over 6%. Yep. So far, the “Trump” stock market has produced returns nearly double the historic average." - from same source as above

The recession of 1937-1938 caused a market decrease of 1-18.2% [The Great Depression was -26.7%]
The recession of  1945 caused a market decline of -12.7%, both greater than now, and both according to Smiley, W. Gene (1997). "Depression of 1937–1938". Business Cycles and Depressions: An Encyclopedia. in Glasner & Cooley 1997, pp. 154–55

Please try to research before posting what you hear from pundits, who usually only do the little work you have done. It may take an extra 15 minutes of your time, but it's better than approaching Mark Twain's definition of a fool. Look it up.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@DrSpy
Ah! All forgiven
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
watching him and watching a mental patient would be virtually indistinguishable. 

How would you know? If Trump is making a valid point, CNN cuts away and refuses to cover the presser. Hell, they even cut away from Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx when they are giving out info about Coronavirus to the public.

If all I saw was an endless montage of CNN gaffes, I would think Trump was insane too.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
If all I saw was an endless montage of CNN gaffes, I would think Trump was insane too.
ok, you are having a 5 minute conversation with someone. During this conversation he tells you he wants to kill you and eat your pancreas. At the end of your conversation do you think, "well it was only 1 crazy thing, everything else was fine"? Or do you think, "holy shit he is insane"? 

Trump says crazy ass shit almost every day. The fact that he can string a few sentences between the insanity does not diminish the insanity. 

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
Thank you, Dr. HistoryBuff, for your brilliant, TV flyby diagnosis of a mental condition. Your credibility precedes you, which is why we see you coming from a mile away. Over my 7,500-foot elevation.
DrSpy
DrSpy
-->
@HistoryBuff
Well, I think it is only crazy if he does not pair my pancreas with some fava beans and a nice bottle of chianti.  

But that is just me.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
How is it splitting hairs, exactly, when, as I've demonstrated, even by example, that your claim of present tense is really future tense, whereas the qualification for future tense is not present tense? Confused? That's on you.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
The fact that he can string a few sentences between the insanity 

Still better than Biden.
DrSpy
DrSpy
-->
@Greyparrot
Marbles in his mouth Joe does not think he knows everything.  He listens, and he listens well.

Listening and respecting other's expertise is not a DJT skillset.