Why is everyone so formal and manipulative

Author: TheJackle

Total: 22
TheJackle
Debates: 4
TheJackle
I am reading some debates, and it is like everyone is trying to out word each other, and piss on each other with big words.

Calm down.  Just have a conversation.  All this resolved, bop, blah blah blah

What the hell is wrong with this group?

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@TheJackle
Thank you Jackie.
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@TheJackle
Formality doesn't always beget unscrupulous tactics, nor does eloquence or lengthy replies in debates. The "Resolved" phrase though, since you were wondering, is lingo from academic debate (namely Public Forum, Policy, and Lincoln-Douglas debate styles.) It just means that the debatable clause would be the subsequent phrase. There was a large presence of academic debaters from DDO that migrated over here. If you want, for future debates, you could alter the character limit so that debates are considerably shorter. 

I just like formal debate for the "game" though. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
This is a debate site. Starting a debate on a topic will likely end in someone debating that topic with you.

If you don't want to debate then stick to the forums.
DrSpy
Debates: 7
DrSpy
English is such an imprecise language it can be difficult to convey a critical clean thought.
We learn that 90% of communication is non-verbal, so we are left with only 10% to try to use on a platform like this.

Calling people names, and trying to call them out  I don't even think is permitted in an informal world.

TheJackle
TheJackle
Say whatever you like    It is just fucking word games you play.  Have some balls and have an honest debate rather then hide behind your stupid word games.

Vaccines are safe...   No word games are gonna disprove that.

You did not even have the balls to accept the debate I opened.  Now there is another antivaxxer who is going to try to play some word games.

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@TheJackle
Part of the problem of your complaint you've just demonstrated yourself, by making a blanket statement:

it is like everyone is trying to out word each other, and piss on each other with big words.

It's a commentary that is too broad for the reality, like using a 3" paint brush to brush your teeth. "Everyone" is overkill because not everyone engages in the activity you accuse everyone of doing. Pure and simple. You want to flag somebody, flag somebody; not everybody. Say what you mean. That's all.

What are "big words?" If you encounter a "big word," look it up. Educate yourself. We each have that responsibility. Unless we coin words, and I do that from time to time, because I am a wordsmith, writing daily by profession, we can educate ourselves by a little research. My granddaughter, at four, coined the word "cutteroffs;" cut flowers, as in, "Cutteroffs need rain to grow," a book she illustrated, and we published, at four years old,  to go with a childrens' book I wrote in verse after she told me about her cutteroffs. Every word used, other than those coined, is found in at least one dictionary; the OED [Oxford English Dictionary, unabridged]. The OED is so extensive, it exists in fully 20 volumes; not your desktop single book.
TheJackle
TheJackle
-->
@fauxlaw
My point exactly.  Why reference or use a word from page 150 in volume 7 when a simple better known word works just as well.

A bunch geeks trying to jack off on big words.  Have a simple down to earth conversation.  Debates should be like sitting down and having a beer, not like an admission test for the underground geek association.

Nice to see you promote your granddaughter making words up.  That should suit her well here.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
You had so much potential, Type1. You still do, as you know, yet you allow anger to rule your mind and soul.

I hope one day you calm down. Calm is power, just not in excess. Anger is weakness, just not when you lack it altogether.

I hope eventually, you realise that your rage and resentment don't help you. I needed to realise much the same myself.

Don't hate the players for valuing semantics, hate the game and pursue something worthwhile or embrace the game's flaws and try, blaming noone but yourself for failures.

Your anger is your suffering, it led to you and I losing touch and likely has caused many to do the same. My anger has been my suffering too, I empathise with you more than you know. Change is possible, trust me on that if nothing else.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
It’s called Policy Debate
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@fauxlaw
@TheJackle
When debating complex policy standpoints, it is usually impossible to avoid complex lingo. I take an alternative approach to debate though. Yeah, it's good to discuss things over a beer (I would presume as I can't drink) but a debate is still a competition. Some level of advanced vocabulary might be competitively advantageous if it makes your argument seem more cogent or if is better at describing something. That said, there is something to say for brevity and avoiding superfluous verbiage if it detracts from a case by making it more muddled.
By the way, fauxlaw, that's really cool. It's a shame that some aspects of education quash creativity, particularly when young minds start developing. I think that would be a pretty good school project.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@TheJackle
I think it's to try and win debates.  People here are pretty competetive, myself included.  If you don't want that, the fourms could be where you post your ideas.
skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@TheJackle
LOL
skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@Alec
fourms could be where you post your ideas.
i second that bro 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@TheJackle
you obviously have met therealnihilist 
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
This is a debate site. Starting a debate on a topic will likely end in someone debating that topic with you.

If you don't want to debate then stick to the forums.
Well said!
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheJackle
The benefits of vaccination obviously outweighs the risk.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that vaccination is 100% safe.

Care to discuss....No words bigger than vaccination allowed.

Though I think that what you are actually saying is that some people use words that you don't understand.

The onus is therefore on you to research, understand  and add such words to your own personal database for future use and reference.

It's called learning and you're never too old to learn.

weareacouple
Debates: 0
weareacouple
-->
@TheJackle
well put

10 days later

Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
Play a different game. If you dont like chess, try hide and seek!  Do discussions
Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
-->
@TheJackle
You said all vaccines are safe but what about some of the ones rejected by the FDA because it was determined they would kill people?

skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@TheJackle
idk i kinda see both sides of this issue 

i just kinda believe that while you shouldnt use english in a snobbish or egotistical way, english is a very bueatiful language and adding it into debates creates some flavor to it 

just my 2 cents
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@TheJackle
I am reading some debates, and it is like everyone is trying to out word each other, and piss on each other with big words.
I try to and I think I do well at not using big words. 
Vaccines are safe...   No word games are gonna disprove that.
But this is not true. There are people dumb enough to believe vaccines don't work. They have been convinced through words. 
My point exactly.  Why reference or use a word from page 150 in volume 7 when a simple better known word works just as well.

A bunch geeks trying to jack off on big words.  Have a simple down to earth conversation.  Debates should be like sitting down and having a beer, not like an admission test for the underground geek association.

Nice to see you promote your granddaughter making words up.  That should suit her well here.
I like what your saying.