Satan; The Serpent of Eden and Revelation

Author: Stephen

Total: 25
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
I asked  on a thread sometime ago ".Who was the serpent that had tempted Eve in the Garden of Eden."

It was  unanimous that this being was also the same being  spoken of in  the book of Revelation know as  Satan  and “the ancient serpent” (Revelation 12:9, 20:2).

Can anyone tell me by what other titles/names that the bible refers to this being as?

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Either I am remembering that previous thread incorrectly or you are using the word 'unanimous' totally wrong.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Either I am remembering that previous thread incorrectly or you are using the word 'unanimous' totally wrong.
 I stand corrected.

Maybe I should have said nearly all agree that the Eden serpent was the same being that is  written of in  Revelation:  the “the ancient serpent” Satan. And that it was certainly unanimous among the Christians here.

I just had a quick look and you feature only two short posts.  

You are welcome to state otherwise if you don't agree. I would post up the link thread but I wouldn't want to be accused of "thread contamination" and the thread contamination rules are very vague. . It was titled "No One Can EVER Answer This Question Satisfactorily ", but  irrelevant to this thread.

Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@Stephen
I would post up the link thread but I wouldn't want to be accused of "thread contamination" and the thread contamination rules are very vague
You may post a link to said thread. As is, you've already referenced it plenty.

However, that neither would not be the CoC violation of cross-thread contamination. To which, I am unsure as to how the rule is vague. You are more than welcome to ask any clarifying questions.

tl;dr: Don't harass people.

In short: Don't act like a psycho rehashing old grudges, especially when they're off topic.

At length:
Cross-thread contamination is when a user brings up disputes elsewhere on the site up in an unrelated thread for the purpose of harassing, mocking, or insulting another member. Treat every new exchange with a member with as much of a "clean slate" as possible.

You starting a new discussion thread for a topic that is not any users, is almost always fine. Heck there have been times when I've started new threads for ongoing discussions to avoid stalkers who were active in the other thread.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
Maybe I should have said nearly all agree that the Eden serpent was the same being that is  written of in  Revelation

That would be innaccurate though
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
So then, Discipulus_Didicit.   Staying with the topic, do you know of any other titles or names attributed to this being known in the bible as Satan and  the ancient serpent?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
Alternate name for serpent: A snake

Alternate name for Satan: Lucy Fur

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
What was the serpent?

The Penis of course.

And the ripe fruit is an obvious analogy too.

It was an analysis of basic instinct in the context of a naïve, mythologically based, creation hypothesis.

Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
Satan is a spirit and spirits are capable of affecting and even possessing animals as well as humans. But adam and eve were one in God, the animals were not given such protection or oneness. So satan affected the serpent to lie and that became a role to refer to satan as. He is also called a dragon in revelation as well.
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
Just as he is described as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour, or the thief which comes to steal, kill and destroy. 1 peter 5:8 john 10:8-11. Revelation 12:3-4 and 13:4
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Melcharaz
Satan is a spirit and spirits are capable of affecting and even possessing animals as well as humans.

doesn't quite give me what i'm looking for.

Just as he is described as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour, or the thief which comes to steal, kill and destroy. 1 peter 5:8 john 10:8-11. Revelation 12:3-4 and 13:4

And neither does that. So is all I have is Satan and the ancient serpent.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
So is all I have is Satan and the ancient serpent.

Were my answers insufficient? I even gave references...
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I even gave references...

You did. Thank you for taking the time.  And now can you reference them in the bible?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
I am not sure whether any English translations use the word snake. It was probably a snake though. I am not sure there are any other types of serpents that match the description. It is quite possible the original language did not make the distinction.
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen

Stephen,

YOUR QUOTE ON WHAT OTHER NAMES SATAN IS CALLED WITHIN THE SCRIPTURES: "Can anyone tell me by what other titles/names that the bible refers to this being as?"

In prayer with Jesus last night, he referred me to the following:

"Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8)

And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him." (Revelation 12:9)

"We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one." (1 John 5:19)

"But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.” (Matthew 12:24)

"For this reason, when I could bear it no longer, I sent to learn about your faith, for fear that somehow the tempter had tempted you and our labor would be in vain." (1 Thessalonians 3:5)

"And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him." (Revelation 12:9)

ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
-->
@BrotherDThomas
In prayer with Jesus last night, he referred me to the following
Is that what they're calling Google these days? 

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ATroubledMan

ATroubledMan,

YOUR UNGODLY QUOTE: "Is that what they're calling Google these days? "

Not at all!  I have a "plethora" of material over the years, and in prayer Jesus reminded me of this fact regarding His main enemy Satan.  I therefore found the needed material for Stephen and presented it forthwith. 

With you still being a pseudo-christian, do you deny the fact that I converse with Jesus in prayer, or do you want to continue stepping in the proverbial poo again? JESUS STATED: "Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known." (Jeremiah 33:3). GET IT?

This forum in turning into a haven of Bible ignorant pseudo-christians like ATroubleMan represents, and Jesus is NOT smiling!

ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
Not at all!  I have a "plethora" of material over the years, and in prayer Jesus reminded me of this fact regarding His main enemy Satan.  I therefore found the needed material for Stephen and presented it forthwith. 
You did a search of Biblehub. Jesus didn't remind you of anything.

Jesus is NOT smiling!
You mean, YOU are not smiling. Jesus has nothing to do with your words here.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ATroubledMan
He gave you an answer to your question. If you found the answer inadequate then you may explain why.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I am not sure whether any English translations use the word snake.

Well you don't seem too sure about anything concerning Satan or the bible or even Satan in the bible come to that.. But I sincerely appreciate your input and I thank you.

Anyway, it was more names and titles<<<<< that I was after such as "Lucifer" (which isn't in the bible) yet often refereed to by Christians as if he was yet never seem able to explain why this is when asked. Like many other things they cannot explain when pushed. 

Christians as I understand it believe that the Devil aka Satan written of in the bible is also the same entity called Lucifer but who isn't addressed as Lucifer at all the the scriptures. Yet they are all spoken of as if they  are all one and the same entity.

I suppose the better question would be, are Satan, Lucifer and the Devil all regarded as one entity by Christians?

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
names and titles

Oh, in that case no. The snake was never given any name or title by the authors.

But what did you not like about bro-T's quotes?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
I suppose the better question would be, are Satan, Lucifer and the Devil all regarded as one entity by Christians?

Yes, most do. Seeing these three as one and the same is not based on the Bible obviously (the name Lucifer is in the Bible but not as a synonym for the devil and it is debatable whether Satan is the devil) but there are other things believed by many Christians not based on the Bible as well so it isn't that big a deal.
ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Sorry, you're right about that.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit

Yes, most do..Seeing these three as one and the same is not based on the Bible obviously (the name Lucifer is in the Bible but not as a synonym for the devil and it is debatable whether Satan is the devil) 

Yes I have already suggested as much at post # 20. This is what caused me to rephrase the question. And it got a result from you at least - an atheist, I assume.

I don't want to appear to be  being pedantic but what evidence do you have that "most" Christians recognise Satan, Lucifer and the Devil to be all regarded as one single entity?

But what did you not like about bro-T's quotes?

??? I don't know what I have wrote to provoke such an assumption from you..

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ATroubledMan
Sorry, you're right about that.

About what exactly?