Who would you trust to give you the objective facts in DART?

Author: nonjudgmental

Total: 40
nonjudgmental
Debates: 0
nonjudgmental
Title. Who here would you trust to give you the closest thing to truth if you had to rely on people from here for information?

Truth is what is real. A thing is true if it is a fact. ... Aristotle said: “To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true”.  (Definition)

(Edit) TRUST firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something.
RELY on/upon. 1 : to need (someone or something) for support, help, etc. : to depend on (someone or something) 

skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@nonjudgmental
depends on the info i need 

every person specializes in different things so i like to take info from lots of different people 

nonjudgmental
nonjudgmental
-->
@skittlez09
Ah, so you presuppose they are all truthful?

Presuppose
tacitly assume at the beginning of a line of argument or course of action that something is the case.

Tacitly
understood or implied without being stated
skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@nonjudgmental
Ah, so you presuppose they are all truthful?
most of the time they're more experienced and knowledgable than i am so to some extent yeah 

nonjudgmental
nonjudgmental
-->
@skittlez09
I am thrilled that you have enough humility and intelligence to recognize that others know things that you do not.  However, knowledge isnt always truthful. what i mean is, not all knowledge is ALL truth.

Intelligence the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.
Humility comes from the Latin word humilis, which literally means low. If you feel humility in front of someone, you feel small in the scheme of things 
Knowledge facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.
Recognize acknowledge the existence, validity, or legality of.

skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@nonjudgmental
This is true, however when looking for solutions or answers i typically find that its impossible to find the 100 % correct one 

so i just find someone whose trustworthy and is knowledgable on the subject as their opinion is more likely to be accurate than mine 
nonjudgmental
nonjudgmental
What you described is a catch 22. How can you presuppose someone here is trustworthy if you admit yourself as not knowledgable? 
Who do you consider trustworthy?

Catch-22 is a paradoxical situation from which an individual cannot escape because of contradictory rules or limitations.
Trustworthy able to be relied on as honest or truthful
Paradox a seemingly absurd or self-contradictory statement or proposition that when investigated or explained may prove to be well founded or true.
Self-contradictory is the act of someone or something conflicting or going against itself. 
Absurd wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate.
Investigated carry out research or study into (a subject, typically one in a scientific or academic field) so as to discover facts or information.
Explained make (an idea, situation, or problem) clear to someone by describing it in more detail or revealing relevant facts or ideas.
Prove demonstrate to be the specified thing by evidence or argument.
Well Founded based on excellent reasoning, information, judgment, or grounds
Seemingly according to the facts as one knows them; as far as one knows.
Illogical lacking sense or clear, sound reasoning.
Described give an account in words of (someone or something), including all the relevant characteristics, qualities, or events.
Reasoning the action of thinking about something in a logical, sensible way.
Logic reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
Principals a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
Validity the state of being legally or officially binding or acceptable.
Conducted led by a guide; managed.
Assessed evaluate or estimate the nature, ability, or quality of.
Strict demanding that rules concerning behavior are obeyed and observed.

skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@nonjudgmental
 How can you presuppose someone here is trustworthy if you admit yourself as not knowledgable? 
touche 

skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@nonjudgmental
bruh your gonna fit in round here ;p 
nonjudgmental
nonjudgmental
If you dont know the truth or if you dont know anyone trustworthy, you dont have to respond.
nonjudgmental
nonjudgmental
Also. Thank you. I suppose.
Suppose assume that something is the case on the basis of evidence or probability but without proof or certain knowledge.
Objective (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
Facts a thing that is known or proved to be true

skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@nonjudgmental
bruh honestly i could talk to you for hours 

you seem like a fun smoking buddy tbh lmao 
ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
-->
@nonjudgmental
Who here would you trust to give you the closest thing to truth if you had to rely on people from here for information?
No one, not even myself. (:
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@nonjudgmental
the closest thing to truth
that is the key isn't it.
there are 2 sides to every story, somewhere in the middle is the truth

the question can't be answered really

Who here would you trust to give you the closest thing to truth
many believe what they say is the truth even if I don't think it is, so the "closest thing to truth" could be mere opinion based on evidence they believe to be true, imo it's similar to faith.

nonjudgmental
nonjudgmental
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
In other words you dont know what the truth is.
In other words used to introduce a statement that repeats what has been said in a different and usually a simpler or more exact way
Know be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information.

Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@nonjudgmental
A problem is the information is all interpretive. The truth of a resolution is not assured even from the presented clauses. That said, it consistently holding up to scrutiny, it a very favorable sign. Kinda like the theory of gravity; as much as it's a constant in the known universe, we don't have all the information needed to fully understand every aspect of it.

If you haven't, I highly suggest reading some of Oromagi's debates, as they are very informative.

Generally, I would trust anyone in the top 6 of the leader-board.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@nonjudgmental
In other words you dont know what the truth is.

the truth to what question?
are you going to start talking in numbers and symbols because I do like it when you do that, it's funny.

Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
I think you misunderstood what he means by truth. He even gave the definition for it, but you operate under an assumption that truth isnt discoverable because people are different. 

I dont trust anyone to give me the truth other than God. If what they say lines up with what God says, then ill consider their words. 

Melcharaz
Melcharaz
-->
@nonjudgmental
If you are trying to understand who is most truthful here, then you forgot that this is a debate website. Where truth is even questioned and very often not defined. Having definitions doesnt give you authority in a forum, only a agreed upon resource, which can be shot down. You probably would have been better off asking "who do you agree with most in debates?" Or something along that line. Just ignore semantic users. Welcome to debateart.
Melcharaz
Melcharaz
-->
@nonjudgmental
If you are wanting more recent and updated info, i suggest reading rationalmadman. If you are wanting views on scripture i recommend faux, or dr franklin. If you want socialble people i recommend supaduz. Etc.   https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3415/my-must-read-members-list. This might help 
If you want the TRUTH. I recommend reading the bible. And ill help how i can. I believe truth is a spirit. The holy spirit which the world cant recieve.  John 14:6 john 14:16-19

8 days later

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@nonjudgmental
If it’s related to the site, then the moderators.

9 days later

nonjudgmental
nonjudgmental
-->
@Melcharaz
Bible sounds good if i cant get a straight answer from these people.

16 days later

sadolite
sadolite
No one, everyone without exception has their confirmation biases and will only accept those information sources that support those biases. "It's 1000 times harder to convince someone they have been fooled than it is to fool them."
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
@Melcharaz

But gods don't say anything

When have you ever actually witnessed a god saying something?

The words of gods are the words of men.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
No one etc.
Absolutely true....Religious belief is a prime example. 
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
I don't think the OP is asking about religion but more about politics, news and science information.  I guess religion could be included if one was asking about religion. But there again two people of the same faith will give two  different interpretations of that same religion.
Melcharaz
Melcharaz
-->
@zedvictor4
I told you to not mention or talk to me.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
True.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@Melcharaz.

Read or not it's your choice.

I simply comment when I think a comment is appropriate, as I believe this is a fairly public forum rather than someone's  private conversation.

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
Trust but verify. A little personal research and legwork is always a good idea