Online classes

Author: Melcharaz

Total: 26
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
With everything thats going on right now, what is your opinion of online education vs classroom or auditorium education?
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Melcharaz
there were online colleges before all of this which probably gives that whole idea a huge boost.  in theory that could reduce costs since the expenses of classrooms etc would be minimal.  the antisocial behavior could also increase with decreased interaction I suppose.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
I like mine. I work at my own pace and I enjoy it
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
online learning sucks as no one puts actual effort into it
skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@Melcharaz
Pros: 

More flexible 

i moved recently so not having to drive 10 miles to go to school is amazing 

also i can sleep in 

Less fat 

there's alot of time waste in school IE filler classes that you do next to nothing in 

im looking at you speech and debate...

There are alot more pros however these are the main two i see in online schooling however in my opinion it doesnt outweigh the massive con

Con: 

I cant see my friends 

P.S. I'm speaking from someone who's currently a junior in high school and alot of this varies 

some of my friends have mountains of work while others have next to none 

its very possible i just got lucky 
skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@Dr.Franklin
bruh i literally copy and paste everything from google 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Melcharaz
In the 60s, a professor of communications at Fordham University, Marshall McCluhan, wrote two books entitled, "Understanding Media: the Extensions of Man" [1964], and "The Medium is the Massage" [1967] in which he said in the first, and demonstrated in the second, that, near as I can remember [both books are across my library's far wall and I'm too lazy to get up to fetch them], "Our children are surrounded by live radio and television, and are then confused when they enter the nineteenth century structure of the classroom." I grew up in that conflicting environment. 60 years later, the surround is literally the world in your hand and pocket, live and alarming, yet we stall have that 19th century classroom.

Further, the content of that education is so poorly preparing our children for the responsibilities of our 21st century world, and they value their education so cheaply, they demand that it be free, and are apparently succeeding in convincing my generation, which paid ever penny of our education, and gen-xers, and milennnials, that education must be free and entitled.  McCluhan described our 60s world as a "global village," because we were beginning to know everything about everyone. Man, did he have his finger on the pulse, or what?

Melcharaz
Melcharaz
-->
@fauxlaw
There is definately something to be understood about social experience and academic focus.

My pastor was grateful to the school system for a number of reasons. 
1: the enviroment it helped him with focus.
2: the people, it helped him to consider other views.

But most of all he values education for discipline. He always stresses having access to books, developing a good method of study (retaining the knowledge) and to discipline yourself to do the studying repeatedly.

Melcharaz
Melcharaz
A analogy i use is this: without discipline, you are trying to peel a potatoe with a dull knife, with it, you are methodicly peeling it with a peeler
Melcharaz
Melcharaz
I love how the bible says it. " a man that strives for mastery is temperate in all things. 1 corinthians 9:25
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Melcharaz
Yes, I appreciate that Corinthians quote. My oldest brother was a perfect example of the principle. As a teenager, I observed the levels his anger could reach. Fortunately, I was not a source of his anger but on a couple of occasions. But as he matured, and learned - and on that score he was the only polymath I ever knew, and taught me the joy and power of knowledge, his temperament  softened. As a man, he was kind and considerate and patient.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@skittlez09
Dont plagiarize but I get where you are coming from
skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@Dr.Franklin
naw bro 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@skittlez09
k  
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
The necessity of education for the future exceeds the limitations of most peoples capability.

There will be fewer and fewer with the ability to move technological evolution forwards.

It's hive mentality...Educating the masses for the sole benefit of the Queen...And so on.... Until such times as an ultimate goal will be achieved...perhaps.

Though probably, one day in the not so distant future, the Queen will cease to be flesh and blood and the necessity of knowledge will have exceeded the limitations of all humans.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
Online classes are hard for me.  I don't know how people do them.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
What republic do you live in? It's certainly not mine. In my republic, your claims are all wet. Maybe if you added something to your profile other than "unknown," these discussions would not make assumptions. What Queen? Are you UK?

The necessity of education for the future exceeds the limitations of most peoples capability.

Nope, Yes, there are some who will never have the ambition of education beyond the necessity of K-12, and those some will be lucky, and some do, to achieve wealth and influence, and, more important, a contribution to society. But, there are plenty of people with ambition to innovate, and they prove it all the time. Your argument sets a imitation on those people that is just not there. It's a myth, self-propagated by your ilk.

There will be fewer and fewer with the ability to move technological evolution forwards.
See above. Yours is just another myth.

It's hive mentality...Educating the masses for the sole benefit of the Queen

Hives are for bees. Fortunately, Some people have a mentality of individual worth, capability, and responsibility. Argue for your limitations; they're yours.

8 days later

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@skittlez09
You have a laptop, just use google hangouts

I cant see my friends 
skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@Vader
aint the same bro 
VonKlempter
Debates: 5
VonKlempter
-->
@Melcharaz
I don't really like online classes, to be honest.
rosends
Debates: 0
rosends
I think online education stinks in 90% of the cases and for 90% of the students.

All numbers invented to make a rhetorical point. They aren't far off, though, based on non-scientific and purely anecdotal evidence. YMMV. 

250 days later

Jasmine
Debates: 4
Jasmine
I hate it so much
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I have had any official school online myself but I have had access to a lot of pagan and polytheist discussions, lectures and  short classes that I wouldn't of had before because they were local somewhere else and not online.  I love it.  But you have to put in the effort to listen and engage.  Some may have a hard time with that. My son hasn't had online school since ABA is really hard to do online. He has been allowed to attend this year even when school is closed. We have been lucky. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Missed this post.

What republic do you live in?

The now republic, the one that you are stuck in and not looking beyond and have no chance of escaping from.

The future is vast and we are already irrelevant....And technology will only get more and more complex, and fewer and fewer people will be along for the ride.

Out of 7.8 billion people, how many people actually know how  modern technology works?.....Billions know how to utilise it, but that's not the issue.

And have you ever considered what the purpose of technological evolution might be?.............Might be purposeless of course.....But what do you believe?

And your limitations and mine are the same.....Short term existence.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
Wow, I'd forgotten about this thread. Relative to the subject of online classes, I've since had personal acquaintance  to the phenomenon. My married-with-children daughter has two grade school children whose charter school in Calif is closed for in-classroom instruction and they are limited to internet access from home. She decided to engage an 8-week EMT course as a change of career that is available in my state, but not in CA, so she brought the kids with her to take her course, and her children are unaffected, but I witness the difference in them in just the time they have spent in online education. The physical presence of classmates, and even their competitive spirit is dampened by the online experience. I'll acknowledge the advance of high tech, but I am concerned with some of its impersonal results.

But, as for short-term existence, I'll again acknowledge your self-imposed limitations. Meanwhile, an eternity waits for me. Perspective dictates limitations. Myopia is also an attitude.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Change, progress, evolution.......And our parents probably had similar concerns.

And we think because we do, and perhaps because we were meant to.....How would Alternative Intelligence have got of the ground if we hadn't of thought of it?