Trump Second Term and the Future of the Republican Party

Author: bmdrocks21

Total: 51
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
I just wanted to get a feel for what the community's opinions on the future are.

Trump hasn't taken very drastic measures thus far to bring back a lot of the troops from the Middle East, deporting all illegal immigrants, and taking more drastic actions to reduce drug prices (he said in 2016 he wanted Medicare negotiating drug prices). He has kept a lot of promises, but these are some glaring areas that not a lot of progress was made on.

Do you believe that he hasn't pursued some of these issues because he doesn't want to upset special interests that would do everything they could to prevent reelection? Will he have more conviction when reelection isn't a concern of his? Or did he not believe in them at all?

Also, I wanted to get the feelings of the community on what types of candidates will run after Trump is out of office, whether that be this November or in another 4 1/2 years. Will they continue running more nationalistic and populist-like candidates, or will they return to the typical Bush neo-con-type presidents? I have heard a lot of support for having Pence run, but I'm not sure that he is palatable to most independents or that he can be as confrontational when he needs to be. 

So, in the future:
For Conservatives: who do you want to run in 2024?
For Liberals: who is a Republican that you could potentially see yourself voting for in 2024?
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
John James
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ILikePie5
I see that he is a veteran and has business experience in supply-chain, which are both great traits for him to have, but I didn't see his stances on his campaign website. What does he support?

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
Dan Crenshaw.

HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
Do you believe that he hasn't pursued some of these issues because he doesn't want to upset special interests that would do everything they could to prevent reelection?
The reasons Trump hasn't done these things are: 

1) he is wildly incompetent. He couldn't pass anything of note in the 1st 2 years when he had the senate and the house. He had absolutely no ability to get the house and senate republicans to agree on anything. He is a child throwing tantrums and not getting his way. 

2) the republicans don't want to do those things. They like the high drug prices, the foreign wars, etc. They have no intention of doing anything about them. And, as per point 1, trump is far too incompetent to do anything about it other than whine and rage on twitter. 

3) he has no idea how to do any of those things. The things he wants, some of which are good, some of which are horrible, he has no plan for enacting. It is one thing to say that you will build a wall and that mexico will pay for it. But reality is a touch more complicated than that. Trump promised things without having the 1st clue if they were even possible, let alone if he could do them. He made stupid, wild promises that idiots believed he would carry though on. He won't. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
The reasons Trump hasn't done these things are: 

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@bmdrocks21
I would LOVE IF Douglas MacGregor  ran even though he is a military consultant

I wouldn't vote for Crenshaw or Cruz
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Greyparrot
God no!

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@ILikePie5
Hes good, though President might be a stretch, he would a GREAT opponent of Whitner, hopefully he gets in the senate
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I wouldn't vote for Crenshaw or Cruz

Yeah, not a huge fan of Crenshaw, myself. Why don't you like these two fellas?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@bmdrocks21
I don't think the Republican Party is likely to produce a candidate moderate enough to catch my vote so long as the dominating Trump faction holds majority.   In fact,  I think Joe Biden should be naming Condaleeza Rice or Mitt Romney as his Secretary of State now if they would serve- start building a bi-partisan, "return to normal" block.

I would have voted for Colin Powell against a democrat I didn't like,  in spite of his part in the fake yellowcake causus belli. I might have voted for John McCain if Biden had taken the bid in 2008.  I'd consider a competent technocrat like Bloomberg- who is certainly more Republican than Trump by any meaningful standard.  My sister works for Charlie Baker, Gov. of Massachusetts and she considers him quite competent.  I'd be willing to give a candidate like Baker a listen but I would probably need to have serious problem with the Democratic candidate to vote for him. 

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@oromagi
I think what you’re saying is that you’d only be open to RINOS lol
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@bmdrocks21
I see that he is a veteran and has business experience in supply-chain, which are both great traits for him to have, but I didn't see his stances on his campaign website. What does he support?

He’s more of a moderate cause he’s running in MI, but he’s pretty conservative on a majority of the issues.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@oromagi
I’m not so sure that the “return to normalcy” look is going to win elections right now. That’s what Hillary ran on. Candidates like Bernie and Trump rose on populist rhetoric and policies because regular people feel like the system has screwed them. They don’t want to go back to that. That is why a small yet surprising amount of Bernie voters are going to vote for Trump despite a huge change in policy between the two.

I am too young to have voted for McCain or Romney, but in my opinion neither would have been a whole lot better than Obama. Not familiar with the other Republicans you mentioned, so I will look into them a bit.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not sure that any of these would get the Republican base excited. I just wanted to see what types of candidates open-minded liberals would think about voting for.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ILikePie5
I think what you’re saying is that you’d only be open to RINOS lol
I mean, he is a liberal, so I wouldn’t expect him to vote for a nationalist, true conservative candidate like we would like lol. That is why I separated questions based on politics. So yeah, he picked liberal-type Republicans, or as we would call them RINOs.

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ILikePie5
Think he has a decent chance of winning? Facing an incumbent, I presume?
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
Mitt Romney.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
I mean, he is a liberal, so I wouldn’t expect him to vote for a nationalist, true conservative candidate like we would like lol. That is why I separated questions based on politics. So yeah, he picked liberal-type Republicans, or as we would call them RINOs.

Whoever is the friendliest to China and Tough on Russia.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@bmdrocks21
I want to keep as much of my own money that I earn as possible, taxes should be used to help Americans and not support other countries when we have a homeless and poverty problem.  The constitution needs to be a top priority.  Criminal reforms - non violent criminals.

who ever fits that is who I'd support.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Candace Owens
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Candace is a diverse candidate that recognizes the issues within the community of African and realizing what the true solution is. Not welfare. She is against welfare programs. She makes good points and is overall a candidate I can get behind
Marko
Marko
-->
@HistoryBuff
Historybuff wrote

’He is wildly incompetent. He couldn't pass anything of note in the 1st 2 years when he had the senate and the house. He had absolutely no ability to get the house and senate republicans to agree on anything. He is a child throwing tantrums and not getting his way. 

2) the republicans don't want to do those things. They like the high drug prices, the foreign wars, etc. They have no intention of doing anything about them. And, as per point 1, trump is far too incompetent to do anything about it other than whine and rage on twitter. 

3) he has no idea how to do any of those things. The things he wants, some of which are good, some of which are horrible, he has no plan for enacting. It is one thing to say that you will build a wall and that mexico will pay for it. But reality is a touch more complicated than that. Trump promised things without having the 1st clue if they were even possible, let alone if he could do them. He made stupid, wild promises that idiots believed he would carry though on. He won't.’

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To your point 1) As a history buff you’ll probably remember Obama struggling to pass much of anything he had promised to his voters, either because it stood against what his and the democrats backers (aka the super wealthy) inherently stood for, or because of the increased polarisation of politics between the republicans and democrats, and in the country as a whole. Consider this is at play here too, and that his arguable incompetence might have less to do with it than you think. 

point 2) That’s very  possible....given that many of the republican ‘backers’ are also Democratic Party ‘backers’. 

point 3) Im not sure you can get to point 3 without passing point 1. In other words, if you struggle to get the backing of the senate because of political polarisation, everything you try to do to enact decisions without the approval of the senate becomes impossible or extremely complicated. You used the example of the wall of course. Building a wall without congressional support is, you bet, more complicated than you think.

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
i think someone like marco rubio might stand a chance. i probably wouldn't vote for him, but it depends on who he was running against. 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@bmdrocks21
[Trump] has kept a lot of promises, but...
The last seven presidents:
Roosevelt could have done something for Israel, like predict a US Embassy located in Jerusalem, but he did nothing. He did not even raise alarm about the Nazi death camps.
Truman could have dealt with NoKo directly, and he could have done what Roosevelt didn’t, but he didn't.
Kennedy could have made the largest tax cut in history, and could have done what Roosevelt and Truman didn’t, but he didn't.
Johnson could have have lowered black unemployment, and he could have done what Roosevelt, Truman, and Kennedy didn’t, but he didn't.
Carter could have told Iran where to get off, and he could have done what Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, and Johnson didn’t, but he didn't.
Clinton could have made a better deal with NoKo, and he could have done what Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson , and Carter didn’t, but he didn't.
Oba'a could have recovered our economy, and he could have done what Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson , Carter, and Clinton didn’t, but he didn't.
All seven could have dealt with China, but they didn't.
The last seven Dem presidents could have done these things, but none did. 
Trump did all these things. Inside 3 years. Does he deserve 5 more, or what?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@bmdrocks21
they are neocons
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I’d be perfectly happy with Tucker Carlson at the top of the ticket tbh.

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@n8nrgmi
He is actually a pretty common choice for liberals to consider voting for. Why do you guys like Rubio?
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Barney
Mitt Romney has really become an outcast in the Republican Party in the past few years. Based on his political record, a lot of people don’t find him conservative or consistent enough. Like how Romneycare and Obamacare were practically identical. Then voting to remove the sitting Republican president from office is never a popular action.

He might appeal to centrists, though. I’m curious as to how he’d perform when facing a non-incumbent, less popular Democrat.
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@bmdrocks21
I think his little protest vote on the impeachment shows a wealth of integrity, and that is something I care about in a leader. Not to mention, the figurative balls to go through with it.

Yeah devotees will hate him forever because he broke dogma by acknowledging the possibility for Trump to make a mistake, so probably never going to be a front runner again, but still someone who could easily secure my vote. I'd certainly vote for him over Clinton, Biden, and various others.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@bmdrocks21
i mostly just like his image. he comes off as a reasonable guy. but really, he's a pretty solid conservative. so he should appeal to conservatives. and, he has the immigrant background to bolster that hot button issue. i think he might have some decent views on guns, but like i said he's pretty conservative.