What is a Testament, or Covenant?

Author: fauxlaw

Total: 13
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
Who can explain why there is both Old and New Biblical Testaments? What is a Testament, or Covenant?
There is a book in the New Testament which explains the answers to both questions, along with the necessity of Jesus Christ in the fulfillment of both Testaments, and the purposes of the Levitical Priesthood [the lower], and the Melchisedec Priesthood [the higher], of which Jesus is the high priest, and the ultimate purpose of Jesus Christ, "For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins."

Follow that last quote as a thread to find the book. Read and study it, and the answers to the above questions are offered to the studious.  You need no further commentary.
VonKlempter
Debates: 5
VonKlempter
Who can explain why there is both Old and New Biblical Testaments?
"The Old Testament contains the sacred scriptures of the Jewish faith, while Christianity draws on both Old and New Testaments, interpreting the New Testament as the fulfilment of the prophecies of the Old." [https://www.intelligencesquared.com/events/old-testament-vs-new-testament/]

Something that serves as a sign or evidence of a specified fact, event, or quality, but in this case the live of Jesus Christ.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
A testament or a covenant is a human data construct, perhaps actually relative to something real or perhaps only relative to an assumed reality and/or hypothesis. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
@VonKlempter
Neither of you, yet, has read and studied the referenced book. Your answers have not yet begun to construct the proper meaning. Read and study the book. Two separate preliminary, and necessary actions. The first eleven chapters will do. Until then, you're merely drawing upon sunday school lessons, if that. However, it does no good to imagine we are cipher-limited machines.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Ah.

Sunday School....That was where you were  sent  to get you out of the house for an hour or so.... I can remember it well, sitting in the pews at the back of the church drawing aeroplanes.

Nonetheless, I think that I adequately defined a testament or covenant and simultaneously described the process behind every human thought and consequent action.

We think and sometimes we tend to over think.... It's what you rightly refer to as imagination....Though that's not to say that it's not possible for imagination to be correct.

Nonetheless imagination and /or hypothesis remain so until proven to be otherwise....Though imagining that imagination is correct is just an extension of overthink until such times as imagination and/or hypothesis is proven to be otherwise etc.etc.

Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen

@FAUXLAW 

Don't you know?

here you are.

covenant
/ˈkʌv(ə)nənt/
Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All

Law

Religion
noun

1. an agreement.
    "there was a covenant between them that her name was never to be mentioned".

testament
/ˈtɛstəm(ə)nt/
Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All

Law

Biblical
noun

1. 1.
    a person's will, especially the part relating to personal property.
    "father's will and testament"

2. 2.
    something that serves as a sign or evidence of a specified fact, event, or quality.
    "growing attendance figures are a testament to the event's popularity"

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
Sunday School....That was where you were  sent
Nope. My parents came, too. I wanted to go. They did, too. Sorry you were an inconvenience, but some parents are like that. I revere my parents. 
And yet, you still have not done your homework. Do your homework, then comment.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Stephen
Do I hear a fly buzzing about aimlessly?
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
Hebrews tells us what a testament is, hebrews 9:15-17. Old testament was law where moses died, new testament is grace where jesus died and rose again.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Melcharaz
Yes, the significance being that in both cases, the testaments are in force only due to, and upon the shedding of blood of the testators.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Different places, different social structure and organisation, different families, different values and deep respect for one's parents extends way beyond something as trivial as Sunday School.

And as such my definition of testament and covenant is accurate.

And your assumption that you know better is simply your assumption that you know better.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
Who said I know better? You did. That's on you, bud. Your assumption.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Well yes, I would have to admit that my comment was an assumed assumption of an assumption.

And I appreciate the candour of you comment.