Debates: 22
Crocodile
-->
@sadolite
no stfu.

musician
athlete
artist

there 3 jobs you need to use the arts in.

if you don't play sports than you are a lazy bastard.
:)
Crocodile
Crocodile
and this is coming from a person in the finance buisness
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@Crocodile
Two things, I am not in the finance business and your arrogance that anyone who doesn't show interest in sports is lazy.  I hated sports in the traditional sense, I did other physical activities not related to sports such as mow lawns when I was a kid and my current job is non stop on my feet all day outside with heavy lifting and so do millions of other people. Sports is entertainment and nothing more.
Crocodile
Crocodile
-->
@sadolite
no you---

im in the finance business.

why are sports so bad, they provide entertainment for the country. What do you do for entertainment?

Different people have different senses of entertainment, and I bet the people all around the world who do heavy lifting also enjoy sports.
BearMan
Debates: 16
BearMan
Ok everyone, you are wrong. The arts are applied in multiple things. Without knowing any of the arts or graphic design, the world would not be what it is today. Art is necessary for advertising and creating websites. Sure, plain art like painting really doesn't benefit society, but others do:

Art is used for:

Graphic Design
Website Design
Advertising
Criminal Tracking (police drawing the criminal)

and many more.

What is sports used for? A lot too, but it doesn't contribute to society as much as art. Sports have much narrower jobs, as footballers can only play football, perhaps coach about football, and talk about football. Very narrow.
BearMan
BearMan
The thing that went wrong about sadolite's thinking is that this is not the 1960's anymore man. You want to learn how to do taxes? Search it up. How to cook? Search it up. Art is used for so many things now, that 1960's thinking won't get by anymore.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@sadolite
What If I don't wanna become a ceo? what if I just want to be an individual artist? I understand business should be more involved in school but that doesn't mean arts and sports should be completely defunded and omitted from the schedule.

I will agree with Bearman here. Your talking sounds like some worker several decades ago indeed. 
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
Gosh🙄 this thread is turning into "School should fund the sports and arts".
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@BearMan
Then why bother with school, just look it up, what ever you want to learn is on google. You can learn to read, write, do math, anything, Schools is a waste of money, "essentially nothing more than  giant day care centers.  " That's a quote from my 16 year old son who attends his day care center.  He learns nothing there except indoctrinated political propaganda. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him he can reject everything his teachers say and not believe a word of it. He knew it was bullshit anyway. I just confirmed it by telling him he has a right to his own views and opinions and any teacher or student that attacks him for doing so cant defend their own views intellectually but rather resort to personal attacks and bullying. I said to him he already won the debate when that happens. Only indoctrinated dullards do that.
BearMan
BearMan
-->
@sadolite
You can't learn everything from google. I only said two examples. Your 16 year old son is an idiot, who wants to quit school because of lack of anything to do. Not everyone can manage homeschooling, not everyone has certifications for education. Math, English, Science, Programming, are all things that most people lack extensive knowledge on. Thats what schools are for, teaching the people who are in the dark.

Google is for teaching people who need one fact, or one tidbit of information. Yes doing your taxes are hard, but why not just hire an accountant?

BearMan
BearMan
What sadolite is saying is that we should put education into the hands of private businessmen not concerned with the amount of education that the public is getting, but concerned with the amount of cash is in his pockets. This will increase economic disparity throughout the entirety of the United States, which is clearly a bad idea. If you want to debate @sadolite, please come.
sadolite
sadolite
I love the baseless extrapolations about my views on the education system based on things I never said LOL. Hell ya'll go so far as to say my son wants to quit school and an idiot. This just proves my point about what I said about personal attacks and already losing the debate. I never said that nor implied that. You are just angst because I am criticizing the current education system. You cant stand that your opinions of it are not coming out of my mouth. Pretty much like the teachers in the current education system. I am met with unfounded personal attacks, typical, but no worries dime a dozen BS.

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@sadolite
You want me to quit school? Sure I guess. It is one thing I want and another my parents don't want. Nevertheless, if you are making children into propaganda-infused, moneymaking machines, then this is the deal. sure, you want the sports and the arts die out, don't you?

Instead of avoiding the problem, why not solve it?
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Intelligence_06
No matter what  situation that needs to be fixed, those not involved with fixing it will always call what anybody does to try and fix it to extreme. In other words you don't want it fixed.
Crocodile
Crocodile
No you're wrong.

If we ban school we'll all become idiots like you :)
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Liberals fuel the propaganda of shoving the Liberalism agenda down your throats and forcing you to believe it or else you're silent. Schools need to be more free thinking institution that promote the freedom of expression, not just the freedom to express for Liberalism

I disagree with Sadolite saying education should only be education as studies have proven that theory wrong
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@sadolite
 In other words you don't want it fixed.
Compared to you, sure. I guess not fixing it is still better than an attempt of fixing that works not.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vader
What studies show that teaching kids to read, write, do math and  basic life skills  don't work.?
BearMan
BearMan
As far as I know, we still of Home Ec and "Shop" class. Those take two minutes to learn. You search up on google, "How to make eggs?" and then you do it. It isn't that hard. It's the question of which is more important in "real life" but which needs more effort to teach.
Vader
Vader
-->
@sadolite
Studies have shown extracurricular activities teach students about time management, decrease stress related to school, and get admitted into more colleges if actively involved

I'm not denying those classes are beneficial, but there are benefits with extracurriculars as well 
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
I believe Sadolite's fallacy is False dilemma. Because worker skills are important thus Sports and arts aren't! Ok, being able to cook food on desks does not deny me from being an artist, especially since not all of the population wants to work a minimum wage job about skills like Home ec.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vader
Never read a study that didn't show exactly what the study wanted to show.

Vader
Vader
-->
@sadolite
What does that have to do with the topic at hand. You are objectively wrong in what you are saying
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vader
"I am objectively wrong" That would be your opinion based on a study you read. It isn't fact.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Sports should get more funding than arts because they earn more money. It’s only fair 
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ILikePie5
All though I think neither should be funded by the taxpayer, I will disagree that sports figures earn more than actors or actresses
Vader
Vader
-->
@sadolite
So you're gonna deny scientific research and just say "LOL stupid research." Doesn't seem like the best idea
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vader
what research?

43 days later

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@sadolite
@Vader
@Intelligence_06
Okay, this confused me greatly, actually IN high school here. We have several shop classes and home ec classes, as well as a separate culinary course. It' s not like its a super high funded high school either. We have some grants but that's pretty much it for extra funding, it's a big school, that's pretty much it.

While it is true that sports CAN develop life skills such as discipline and all of that over time

It is also true that arts can develop hand-eye coordination, discipline, etc, same as sports

As for the argument for that school's extra curriculars/ arts, sports, shouldn't be funded at all? That really depends on what goal of school you want. But if you just cross-apply all of the benetfits that both arts and sports contribute to society, easy.

For sports:

In general:

My point being, there is an overly abundant preponderance of evidence that having sports and arts will benefit the kid and the society they influence. Not to mention - that the bare minimum of an education's system is to provide you the teaching, to read, to write, to do math, and science. This is the bare minimum not the actual goal. 
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Theweakeredge
The govts responsibility (Public Education)  since day one, always has been, is still,  and always will be to teach children to read, write and do math above all else. As has been demonstrated it fails miserly at this  most basic task.  One only has to take 10 seconds and google  education statistics and levels of competency to see how incompetent the education system is. When the greatest most educated minds in all of higher education can teach 70% of all  high school grads to read above a 5th grade level call me and we will discuss extra money for other things.  The education and competency statistics rebuke all of your so called research.