SCOTUS Live!!

Author: CaptainSceptic

Total: 21
CaptainSceptic
Debates: 8
CaptainSceptic
I have listened to the two SCOUTS cases today about Trump and his records.  So fascinating listening to the arguments live instead of having to read them.  

There are a few more important cases in the calendar, and I would encourage anyone with a political interest to listen in.  

Did anyone else listen?

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@CaptainSceptic
I listened to the one about contraception or something a few days ago but that’s about it. AP exams been takin up my time
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@CaptainSceptic
I don't know why Trump cares so much about his tax returns when it's so obvious he is A Russian spy in 2018, a Ukrainian spy in 2019, and A Chinese spy in 2020.
CaptainSceptic
CaptainSceptic
-->
@Greyparrot
He is to dumb to be a spy.   While Joe Biden has trouble getting words out of his mouth, Trump has trouble keeping them from coming out.  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
There are many cursory comparisons of Obama's case for privacy with releasing his long-form birth certificate and Trump releasing his tax returns.

What do you think the critical difference between those two cases might be?

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
One’s political. Other may go directly against Constitution. Which is which tho...
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Lol, technically they both fall under constitutional due process and both are objectively political in nature.

Ok now that I nudged you in the right direction, I will ask again.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
I just find it funny that liberals are quiet over the Michael Flynn thing. They’re running scared. If Obama is forced to comment, you know there’s something wrong. Durham is closing in
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Hmm, one’s about a possible Black Muslim and the others about a known White Christian?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Come on lol. There is a serious legal answer, you don't see the answer?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Come on lol. There is a serious legal answer, you don't see the answer?
I don’t know what you’re trying to steer me towards😂💀
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Ok, ill softball it.

What would happen if Obama had no Hawaii Birth Certificate?

What would happen if Trump had no tax return for any year?

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
What would happen if Obama had no Hawaii Birth Certificate?
He wouldn’t have been eligible to run for the Presidency

What would happen if Trump had no tax return for any year?
Congress would assume he didn’t pay any taxes?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Close enough lol. One is a violation of constitutional law, the other is a violation of tax laws.

Although it's obvious to any judge who would hear arguments that both cases are frivolous in that it would be highly unlikely that Obama was born outside of Hawaii considering all the other evidence indicating that he was, and also knowing Trump has been under audit from the IRS every year since he crossed the multi-million dollar threshold for income. So the very notion that Trump had no tax return while being under an IRS yearly audit is beyond speculation.

Just looking at the case for due process, one is a potentially more serious offense than the other one. Neither is going to pass the threshold for due process though. Congress will never find a compelling reason to go to court to explain why Trump's tax returns are vital for proving a crime they cannot name yet.

Constitutional Due process demands that a crime be named.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Close enough lol. One is a violation of constitutional law, the other is a violation of tax laws.
Sorry lol my brain is fried after the BC Calc AP exam. But ya, I think a crime should be named for privacy rights to be violated.
CaptainSceptic
CaptainSceptic
-->
@Greyparrot
Constitutional Due process demands that a crime be named.
Ok this is a clearly erroneous statement about the basic elements of a criminal investigation.

For the second case at issue, the subpoenas are argued to be part of a larger criminal investigation.  DA's don't name or know the exact crime before they do their investigation.  The exact crimes are as a result therefrom.

They present their findings to a grand jury to determine if there is enough evidence for formal charges to be levied.    

So to say that  formal charge is required before you ask for a subpoena makes no sense.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@CaptainSceptic
Due Process requires equality between the parties in criminal discovery. Wardius v. Oregon, 412 U.S. 470 (1973), is the lynchpin to a defendant’s constitutional right to access to relevant documents and data that is equal to the government’s rights to access those documents as it prepares its case for indictment. 

No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.

You can't order a person to court without a reason for doing so, even if the reason is "Orangemanbad"

CaptainSceptic
CaptainSceptic
-->
@Greyparrot
Nice copy and paste from law.com. I guess you forgot to paste your source.

If you read Wardius you what it actually does.

"We hold that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment forbids enforcement of alibi rules unless reciprocal discovery rights are given to criminal defendants. Since the Oregon statute did not provide for reciprocal discovery, "
So can you tell me what does that have to do with this case?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@CaptainSceptic
So can you tell me what does that have to do with this case?
Maybe you should read the entire article before asking that question. The answer’s there. I promise.
CaptainSceptic
CaptainSceptic
-->
@Greyparrot
@ILikePie5
I asked GreyParot to explain their perception.  I have concerns that Geryparrot even knows what Wardius is about, considering it was a copy and paste of a sentence.

I, on the other hand, have read the case.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@CaptainSceptic
I know you are referring to, the scotus tapes provided by them, I have listened to a couple and find myself quite enjoying them