Best Orators in History

Author: Earth

Total: 16
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
Discuss famous orators like MLK, Hitler, etc. 
Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Earth
MLK was a serial thief, who only rose above his mediocre oratory and lacklustre writing skills by stealing. MLK stole a lot of things in his life. For example, his P.H.D. was, at the very least, 33% plagiarised. It's not surprising then to find that his famous 'I have a dream' speech had many passages that were stolen from a 1952 address by a black preacher named Archibald Carey. Other famous works, such as 'Letter From Birmingham City Jail' (a speech), and 'Strength to Love and Stride Toward Freedom' (a book), had many instances of plagiarisation (https://www.amren.com/news/2018/01/martin-luther-king-jr-plagiarism/).

He is actually nothing like what he was made out to be by popular media, but I won't derail the thread.

Earth
Earth
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
Interesting, though MLK was still a skilled speaker, which is the point of the thread.
Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Earth
He was skilled in the sense of having sufficient brain power to read electrifying speeches written by others. He was not skilled in the sense of having quick wit. He was not skilled in the sense of being creative. If you replaced him with your average gospel preacher, there wouldn't be a difference. The most you could argue is that being a gospel preacher takes some amount of skill, but even that doesn't justify the astronomical reverence in which he is held (i.e. he gets in a mention in a thread titled "Best Orators in History").

Earth
Earth
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
Well, what orator would you replace MLK Jr with?
Earth
Earth
Secondly, I think you underestimate his ability. Maybe not all of his speeches were original, but nonetheless MLK Jr was able to draw crowds. Preachers aren't able to to that.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
You definitely named one in Hitler. I would throw Churchill in there for consideration, JFK was damn good a orating, alot of religious figures most certainly. 

Morgan Freeman just cause of the voice, even though when it comes to oration hes like, meh. just gotta mention him cause of the voice 😂😂
triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
Pretty much any charismatic dictator that rose to power through popular support has had good orating skills.

Earth
Earth
As a side note, Hitler had good paintings.

Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Earth
Well, what orator would you replace MLK Jr with?
I don't have a sufficiently broad recollection of people around MLK's time whom would be suitable replacements (it's not the kind of information that's valuable).

Secondly, I think you underestimate his ability. Maybe not all of his speeches were original, but nonetheless MLK Jr was able to draw crowds. Preachers aren't able to to that.
1) Churches are only so big.
2) He very likely had massive backing by powerful entities. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Yelling loud and saying 'kill ze jew zieg heil' is not remotely good speech but it should be noted that good speeches tend to fall on deaf ears as majority of humans are idiots and the IQ bell curve is SEVERELY slanted further down that would make sense. If you actually meet the average of the IQ bell curve and are remotely intelligent (IQ above 114 is in my eyes remotely intelligent) you will be shocked at how stupid they are.

There is literally a level in the thinking process called 'why am I right or am I actually wrong' that the normal human doesn't even achieve as they are already on the next thought process since they short-circuit the thinking process.

Some of the best orators are likely people like me who didn't want to get famous in a world full of UTTER MORONS sorry to say it, it's the truth.

The best orators who happened to get famous hmm, in modern days I find Jordan Peterson is extremely articulate and one of the best author-orators (speaks via his books but happily does interviews) is Robert Greene. He is an absolute genius of a depth of thinking superior to my own. He understand strategy of war and how to turn intellect into actual dominance to degrees few humans can even begin to fathom and his books of the strategy of war and laws of power have fascinated me and helped me to degrees no other book ever has or frankly can.

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
Morgan Freeman
XLAV
XLAV
Samuel L. Jackson

119 days later

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
Marc Antony gave a pretty persuasive speech once...

54 days later

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Earth
As a side note, Hitler had good paintings.

This is curious. He was not admitted in the Art School because he was considered as not being enough skilled.

Il Diavolo
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
If Jesus had existed, I think he would have been a tremendous orator. It's not easy to persuade people and make them believe you're a God.

Il Diavolo