Big Simulation

Author: CaptainSceptic

Total: 11
CaptainSceptic
Debates: 8
CaptainSceptic
Is COVID-19 evidence that we are all just part of a big stimulation and that COVID-19 is just a bug in the program?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
nope
CaptainSceptic
CaptainSceptic
-->
@oromagi
Here is why I say it could be.

The symptoms or clinical presentations are constantly changing.  There is no clear clinical diagnostic morphology.  Death rates very from country to country substantially.   There are dozens of examples of "infection" with no known source contact.

The math is not adding up....   

I am not saying it is proof, I am saying it is evidence.  
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@CaptainSceptic
  • The symptoms or clinical presentations are constantly changing. 
  • There is no clear clinical diagnostic morphology. 
  • Death rates very from country to country substantially.   
  • There are dozens of examples of "infection" with no known source contact.
  • Examine the history of medical diagnosis and you will discover that these points describe every novel disease outbreak in history.  For example, four years after AIDS was identified as a new disease, all four of the above points were true.  We hadn't even linked AIDS to HIV yet.  Medical histories of the 1918 Flu pandemic or the Black Death demonstrate all these qualities for years- in the case of Bubonic plague, these were true for centuries.
The math is not adding up....   
Expecting all the math to add up 18 weeks after the disease was first identified is irrational.  Wait four or five years and then we can start looking for diagnostic inconsistencies.

I am not saying it is proof, I am saying it is evidence.  
I am saying it is not even evidence.  Its just the same old human tendency to project assertion before any confidence is warranted.  One thing we know about coronaviruses are that they are hyper-mutants.  COVID mutates so fast that we can actually tell the difference between COVID-19 generations that spread in Europe and COVID-19 generations that spread in Asia.    No experienced immunologist, virologist, or molecular biologist would expect stable clinical presentations or consistent morphologies  at the beginning of a pandemic.  Death rates are profoundly subject to demographic and political variables.  Contact tracing a disease with a 14 day incubation time is insanely difficult.  Expect massive gaps in our understanding of how the disease spread between individuals

CaptainSceptic
CaptainSceptic
-->
@oromagi
Examine the history of medical diagnosis and you will discover that these points describe every novel disease outbreak in history. 
Not so with SARS, MERS, Smallpox, Herpes, Chickenpox,  (I am leaving polio out specifically)

Its just the same old human tendency to project assertion before any confidence is warranted.  

Now you are hitting the nail on the head.  Whilst it may not be viewed as evidence to some of the simulation (which I don't believe, I was using it for demonstration purposes). You have shown the exact issue.   

In our world, and how we expect information, how we expect answers, we are now shooting first and aiming later.   And perhaps out minds have morphed based on the code of the big simulation.

Our insatiable appetite for instantaneous answers and information is going to be as much of a problem.

Unless the coders fix it :)

Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
Depends on how you look at reality. If this a simulation, then the virus is part of the processing units attempt at subjugating independant programs.
Marko
Debates: 0
Marko
-->
@CaptainSceptic

Captainsceptic: Not so with SARS, MERS, Smallpox, Herpes, Chickenpox, (I am leaving polio out specifically)

Ill simply react to the argument above (because Oromagi dealt with your other points sufficiently.)

The idea that the ‘clinical presentations’ are constantly changing is wrong.
Are you suggesting that the first identified symptom/s during an outbreak of a novel disease has to be the only symptom the disease ever has, or maybe it’s more a case of, as cases continue to increase, in a genetically diverse population, the number of symptoms will also be diverse and appear to be ‘constantly changing ’ over time?
Of course it’s the latter, and it’s merely an illusion of change as a result of insufficient viral-spread time, genetic and heath risk diversity and insufficient knowledge—not to mention the possible evolution of the virus over time. 

None of the examples of infectious agents you provided above are exceptions...quite the contrary.
Just look at chickenpox for example. The list of possible ‘clinical presentations’ could fill out an entire page and range from itchy blisters to pneumonia, inflammation of the brain, arterial ischemic stroke, and singles. 
Many of the associated symptoms were only discovered hundreds of years after its first description, and so likewise, the clinical presentations also widely changed over time. 
You are looking at the history of infectious diseases with hindsight and without the perception of time. 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Captainsceptic: Now you are hitting the nail on the head.  Whilst it may not be viewed as evidence to some of the simulation (which I don't believe, I was using it for demonstration purposes). You have shown the exact issue.   In our world, and how we expect information, how we expect answers, we are now shooting first and aiming later.   And perhaps out minds have morphed based on the code of the big simulation.Our insatiable appetite for instantaneous answers and information is going to be as much of a problem.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How exactly has this episode been a case of shooting first and aiming later? What exactly has been shot? And how is the concept that we can’t possibly know everything about a novel viral infection immediately and instantly be a good argument for the idea of big simulation? That our brains have an ‘insatiable appetite for instantaneous answers’ is a generalisation and also makes perfect sense (at an evolutionary level). 

User_2006
Debates: 50
User_2006
It all depends on the perspective. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@CaptainSceptic
What or who do you think is doing the simulating?

Or are you suggesting that everything is self simulating?

Or Is this really just about the god principle?

Notwithstanding these questions, I would suggest that the limited duration of the event negates conciseness of understanding.

Though, philosophically we can imply anything we wish to, so within this context the evidence is therefore evidence.

31 days later

simplybeourselves
Debates: 1
simplybeourselves
-->
@CaptainSceptic
Even as evidence rather than proof it is still a non-sequitur because--

Premise 1: 
The symptoms or clinical presentations [of COVID-19] are constantly changing.

Premise 2:
There is no clear clinical diagnostic morphology.

Premise 3:
Death rates very from country to country substantially.  

Premise 4:
There are dozens of examples of "infection" with no known source contact.

Premise 5:
The math is not adding up.

Conclusion: Therefore we are probably part of a big simulation.

--is an invalid argument. 
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
Here is what adds to a conclusion, the cases are rising world wide, and more so since many gotten relaxed --for whatever reasons--, and that, every human on earth is going to get infected with covid19.

The only question ---in those regards-- is will it be before or after a vaccine or Rengerons anti-bodyd shots are approved.

I suppose there is a question about how many will dies, but that too is dependent on the latter above, and the timing of the latter above, and how many conspiracys will shoot anything in the foot before they will allow themselves to be injected.