What will happen to all these Catholic schools?

Author: ludofl3x

Total: 8
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
Several articles around the web today are discussing the hit that the Covid pandemic has delivered to the parochial schools across the country, some believing that more than 100 of these institutions are going to close permanently by the time kids are allowed to go back to school. Here in NJ, one diocese announced five closures alone! Fundraising events were canceled, financially strapped parents who suddenly have questions about their familial necessities are unenrolling, weekly donations at the parishes are done 80% in some places (this funding often supports a school at least in part: about 80% of a school's costs are covered by tuition typically, the rest by donation, that number is now about 50% and falling). Isn't the solution to this problem obvious, if you're a member of the clergy?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ludofl3x

What will happen to all these Catholic schools?

I am sure that these schools will do just fine. 

$10 billion to $15 billion
Bankers' best guesses about the Vatican's wealth put it at $10 billion to $15 billion. Of this wealth, Italian stockholdings alone run to $1.6 billion, 15% of the value of listed shares on the Italian market. The Vatican has big investments in banking, insurance, chemicals, steel, construction, real estate.

I am not sure what that amounts to in "widows mites"  but I am sure that the Catholic institution as collected quite  a few billion billion mites  over the years.

Luke 21:1-4 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Widow’s Two Mites
21 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, 2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. 3 So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all [ of those rich fkrs] ; 4 for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.”

The Vatican also spend $$$$$$ billions a year on astronomy equipment;  telescopes and observatories etc. 

One has to wonder what these Priests are up to peering into god's living room.

rosends
rosends
-->
@ludofl3x
This is a major problem (for all private schools). If we are relying on distance learning then that levels the playing field between public and private schools. No concerns about dress code, or bullying in the hallway or peeling paint -- distance learning ends up looking mostly the same regardless of who is running it. Teams aren't playing. Bands and clubs aren't meeting. Everything is done via email or virtual classroom. If so, then what draws any student to any private school?

In fact, this same question could be asked about the existence of sites like k12.com which claims to set up virtual public school for people in many states. Get the free education without the downside of your local school. 

Schools have to reinvent their mission and distinguish themselves to show value and it isn't easy. Parochial schools have it slightly easier because they can claim that the infusion into secular classes of religious themes, if important to families, can't be replicated by the public school (Zoom) experience. Private schools have to bank on the supposedly superior quality of educators and curricula, and find other methods of enhancing their offerings.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@ludofl3x
I identify as Irish Catholic culturally and I admire the quality of a Catholic school education but I have to say this seems like a very low priority from a public policy point of view.  Everybody's going out of business- that is one defining feature of the Make America Great Depression.  70% of brewpubs are anticipated to go under this year.

One distinct advantage that private schools (including Catholic schools) have over most other institutions is that the majority of their clients are wealthy.  If the rich continue to value private school education, then the rich must shoulder the burden of saving those institutions.  I, for one, think that the collapse of the two tiered education system and the coalescence of all American interests and resources into a single public education system ultimately improves our readiness to live in a democratic society.
DeusVult
DeusVult
-->
@ludofl3x
Isn't the solution to this problem obvious, if you're a member of the clergy?
Yeah, they are unfortunately going to go bankrupt.  I don't know what solution the clergy is supposed to have.  There are going to also be many church closures.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@DeusVult
 I don't know what solution the clergy is supposed to have
Isn't the answer to just pray for the money, and stop with the taking it from the people? Or, to pray that all the people's problems go away miraculously, and then they'd have the money?
DeusVult
DeusVult
-->
@ludofl3x
Isn't the answer to just pray for the money, and stop with the taking it from the people? Or, to pray that all the people's problems go away miraculously, and then they'd have the money?
Sorry, you seem to have Catholicism confused with prosperity gospel preachers.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@DeusVult
 I don't know what solution the clergy is supposed to have. 

They could try dipping into there own very deep pockets just for once instead of begging the "poor"  to donate their last mite to their astronomy programs . Is it  not enough that the "poor" keep them fed and adorned in fine clothes and free housing?

Beware of the Scribes  Mark 12:38-40
38 Then He said to them in His teaching, “Beware of the scribes, who desire to go around in long robes, love greetings in the marketplaces, 39 the best seats in the synagogues, and the best places at feasts, 40 who devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. These will receive greater condemnation.”

Woe to the Scribes and Pharisees. Matthew 23