Bump
User_2006
Debates: 50
User_2006
-->
@Barney
@Alec
@Dr.Franklin
Any thoughts on this? Blue shells are pretty much known so if you know about Mario Kart, you know blue shell.

My thoughts will be at least one post below. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@User_2006
I agree
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
I don't know the power balance role it plays. I assume it's good, due to the possibility of luck giving someone an otherwise unfair lead (they get ahead of an early scuffle, and can stay safe and ahead without further danger).
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@User_2006
You are talking about a game that is designed to reward fast tactical play rather than planned out, strategic play. Everything is justified in a game like that except things that push the game longer. The blue shell is prolonging the game and also brutally helps the person in second, also realise that the person in the lead getting the blue shell is brutally unfair. They actually have to avoid it.
User_2006
Debates: 50
User_2006
-->
@RationalMadman
My Reasons are as follow:

1. N64 players vary in quality. It is easier to make something like a blue shell because the computer players will either be ultra instinct or trash. Some computer players are to be better than others, and the way to make the race seem like a race is by a blue shell.
2. Encourage new players. Imagine a game wherein the first game you get crushed so hard you didn't even come close to finishing, it will discourage you. On the Contrary, Mario Kart has balanced items where you are more likely to get a star than a coin in 10th place. It encourages new players to play more, and when you at 2nd place 3rd lap, a blue shell would make your day much better. 
3. There are already such items. If it is really meant to be really fair, then we should able to get Crazy 8 in 1st place, and coins in 12th place. 
4. It teaches a lesson that nothing is fair. However,  it teaches you to get good. You should be able to be as good as that one blue shell won't lose you in the first place. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@User_2006
Your reason 4 destroys everything else. You admit that because the game is designed in all other ways than the blue shell, to reward fast thinking and agility, it is therefore completely unfair that this one move punishes the person in the player pool who is best at the thing the game is meant to be competed upon.

The fact that you can get a blue shell at the last minute and this can give the person who was first, third, as a genuinely realistic outcome is beyond unjustifiable. Blue shell in a game where you 'hold' powers and release them at specific times, could certainly be justified, but not in a burst game like this.