school is dumb

Author: crossed

Total: 24
crossed
Debates: 62
crossed
We waste six hours of our children time each day.Instead of locking children up and force them to do math for six hours.We should lock our children up and force them to listen to audio books for six hours.

If every audio book is around 2 hours.That is more than 700 books a year.listening to 700 books is more beneficial then a year of education.What i was thinking was children go to school.They sit down.teacher puts on 3 hour book. Then when finished kids go to lunch.Kids return. Then they listen to another 3 hour book.then they go home.They would learn so much more
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@crossed
So, instead of six hours of listening to teacher, they listen to six hours of audio books. Sounds like your idea of dumb school is still dumb. You realize, of course, that while kids have at hand the literal world, nay, the virtual universe at their  fingertips, yet we wonder why they are confused when entering the 19th century structure of the classroom. You've not changed that with audio books.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@crossed
School is no different to standard employment in terms of what it is designed to do to the mind and personality of those who undergo it.

It trains you to be:
  1. either obedient or cunning
  2. either hardworking or charming
  3. knowing when and when not to pick a fight of any kind
These are essential life skills but I agree that in school, especially because teenagers are the most punishing toward the 'weird' out of all age groups, school is not actually good at teaching us the subject matter that we learn, instead it teaches us those three things as life skills.

n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
we don't need no education..... 
we dont need no thought control...

school's out for SUMMA...
school's out for EVA...
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
I mean at least its original
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
What is original?

Conditioning is conditioning, we've been doing it for millennia.

Crossed's suggestion is probably the direction we are heading in.
User_2006
Debates: 50
User_2006
IDK what Crossed is talking about, but if you hate school, you are in the wrong school. 
User_2006
User_2006
I understand that there are substitutes for schools. I agree that audiobooks do the job. I learn how a Sine Function works in school and I learn how math was invented with audiobooks back in my home. I agree that schools aren't needed, and the whole purpose of schools for me is to increase my social capabilities. I usually ace tests if I am being careful enough.

Debating and owning a computer is a quality of non-poor people. Middle classes and Rich people debate using computers. Poor people can't afford computers in most capitalistic states, and they need to go to school. School is useful for some people, but not all. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
what cross exposed
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Has crossed been exposing themself?

I personally don't recall ever being locked up for six hours and being forced to do maths....Do you?

Nonetheless, I imagine that systems of information transfer will inevitably develop as crossed suggested, though perhaps in a  somewhat more subtle and subliminal fashion.

Of course, this will be fine as long as religion isn't on the curriculum and  only necessary and non-devisive information is transferred, thus establishing a more peaceful and tolerant global society.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
By six hours, he doesnt just mean math
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Are you a mind reader.

Do math for six hours.
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@zedvictor4
@Dr.Franklin
By six hours, he doesnt just mean math
By the way, if it was not just memorizing equations that may or may not have actual values in the later occupations, and instead it was mathematical experiments that were more inclined to self-discovery(That may or may not be something that was discovered), I would do maths for 6 hours on a good mood. 

User_2006
User_2006
-->
@RationalMadman
Yeah I agree. The public school really is flawed. 

First, especially on Fridays, they give out substantial quantities of homework(At least at my school), and most of them aren't half fun. School is for learning, not to be submissive to quests that may or may not have a practical and understandable value. 

I remember in late March(Before I joined the site), I had been observing the forums in DebateIsland.com and DArt. Then I used tangible and explainable logic about why college is not necessary for success. Then I got an entire boring lecture about why college is necessary and I need to boost my grade. 

What is an elementary school for? Middle School. What is that for? High school. Next? College. Then Job. Then you have a full-blown degree in practical mathematics just so you could be hired to calculate how many days the company can sustain without being bankrupt. You are prepared with calculus so you could get hired for Excel. 

I could earn more using what school doesn't teach me than what they do. Schools in the US are preparing you for the job, and Schools in China are preparing you for college. It would earn more to be a Pro Gamer on Youtube programming and hacking single-player games grabbing eyeballs and getting money off that than to work at a boring job with minimum wage salary,  whom the school 'Suggested'. I learned the way of AutoCAD myself through the internet instead of the school, because the school is far too limited to give everyone a chance to learn what they liked. 

No, school is not dumb. They are to guide you and teach you. They are smart. But the present system of education, sure, it would be dumb. It teaches what society needs but also doesn't, because we need programmers that can program robots to replace janitors, office clerks, assembly line, workers, etc, instead of working in a job that will be replaced by automated things. It also made us so all-round that we no longer exceed in any subject. The people who went out of school, especially the most schools, looks like they are advertising for skipping school. 

And my school is not even in the worst category of schools. There are worse ones that the principals kept the school open not to educate kids but to earn money. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
yeah I am
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
So what am I thinking?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
about kangaroos
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@zedvictor4
@Dr.Franklin
Any comments on my post? No? If yes, please do. I want to know where I have flaws. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
How did you know that?

Amazing!
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
I agree, not about locking up children in classrooms and forcing them to listen to audiobooks for 6 hours, but with the fact that the public school system in the US (and to a certain extent Canada) is woefully outdated. The current educational system in use was developed in 18th century Prussia with the express intent of hammering loyalty and obedience into the populace. It does a fantastic job of preparing children for the factory line, where the amount of creativity and critical thinking required is minimal. However, when it comes to meeting the demands of the 21st-century workforce, where the ability to innovate and collaborate with others is becoming increasingly paramount, our method of educating the next generation has utterly failed.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@User_2006
Ok.

So we might as well ask, why do we do anything...And the answer is that we are programmed to do stuff...The survival of the species rests upon us instinctively doing certain stuff. The modern social adaptations that you refer to are just elaborations on the basic theme.

School is a social construct and serves not just your need to achieve, but also the requirements of the wider hierarchical society. So all the basic stuff of education is necessary, even though you perhaps personally  consider it not to be. I would suggest that it is quite common at your age to think about school in the way that you do and I would further suggest that when you are older you will realise why you thought in this way and also realise why a broad education was a vital foundation for a successful modern adulthood.

Your current state of restlessness is of course fuelled by a variety of instinctive mind drives and the immediate acquisition of monetary wealth seems like the quick fix answer to your inner demands. Once again I would suggest that you take a step back and try to envisage what will be the bigger picture of your life, because your social requirements will undoubtedly change as you get older....Fourteen year olds have a tendency to only focus on the requirements of  the here and now and have very little consideration for how the next fifty years or so will pan out.

Eventually you will realise that school wasn't dumb.
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@zedvictor4
School, in its concept, is not dumb, but its execution is dumb, at least for me. Maybe some other kids across the nation like it this way, but not me. I get what you are saying. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
My skill is beyond comprehension
Shamayita
Debates: 0
Shamayita
-->
@crossed
Yeah. This education system is flawed,it needs to be upgraded. It almost feels like a prison in the school. And very little is really done for the students who are not that up to the mark. I have seen this discrimination in my school. The teachers literally don't bother about the other students except for a few of us. Schools should aim in helping us in building in our morals and other values and not just mugging up those sketchy books. Marks seem to decide everything there. Like for example I know two girls in my class who have very good brains,far far better than me but they are regularly dissed by the teachers. Also students should be allowed to study what they want to. Like for example if a student who wants to study science should not be bothered with the arts subjects and the other way too. This happened with myself too. I had to put up with history ad geography trying always hard to keep my marks above 90%  in these subjects. It drove me crazy. And also stuck up in a room crammed with 50students and rude teachers reading useless stuff is boring.