Deism

Author: User_2006

Total: 17
User_2006
Debates: 50
User_2006
Deism seems rational. I want to see people's opinions on the subject. 
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@RationalMadman
@Dr.Franklin
@BrotherDThomas
Bump
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@User_2006
Sure. Deism is rational as it deals with why the universe exists and accounts for how processes can occur, and we can conclude that without any religious claims or dogma. The only thing I find strange is the claim "does not intervene in the universe", I'm not sure I understand that completely or why it has to be so. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@User_2006
What do you think about Deism besides it's rational? do you have opinions or ideas about God?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
reason and observation of the natural world are sufficient to establish the existence of a Supreme Being or creator of the universe.

This is true

Deism is the philosophical position that rejects revelation as a source of religious knowledge

My question would be (and not that I disagree with it in some instances) how does this follow, why couldn't both work together would be my main thought here. In other words why would it have to be one or the other rather than both things being possible?
One doesn't need to be an advocate of religion to believe there is a Creator, but there is a connection between God and the soul that is unavoidable. And I'm not advocating religion to make that statement, but religious revelations exist because of that very factor. However that doesn't mean all proposed revelations are true either. 

User_2006
User_2006
-->
@EtrnlVw
I think God is just a force field that the universe runs on. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@User_2006
Fair enough, is there any qualities or description of this force field that qualify it to be described as "God"?
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@EtrnlVw
Tesla and Einstein had tried to give one force that explains all phenomena, and the closest answer they have found is electromagnetism. I think God is just what they are trying to find, and once such force can be found, we have met god. If we are enough to manipulate it, we become god. 
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@EtrnlVw
Personally, it is either deism(God does not intervene with humanity), pantheism(God is the universe itself), and agnosticism(IDK).
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@User_2006
God is just a force field

Like for example....is it conscious? is it intelligent? does it desire? does it have intentions? is it sentient? 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@User_2006
Tesla and Einstein had tried to give one force that explains all phenomena, and the closest answer they have found is electromagnetism. I think God is just what they are trying to find, and once such force can be found, we have met god. If we are enough to manipulate it, we become god.

But there are some things to consider, and remember I'm not advocating or supporting religion. If the universe is capable of producing intelligent processes and intelligent beings, wouldn't it follow that God is also an intelligent source? if God is an intelligent source wouldn't that follow that God is also conscious, alive? if God is conscious and alive wouldn't that necessitate that God is being-like?
So, does electromagnetism really qualify as "God"?
I think there is good reason to speculate that the universe is constructed by an intelligent Source, I think that is a good starting point, would you agree?

Personally, it is either deism(God does not intervene with humanity), pantheism(God is the universe itself), and agnosticism(IDK).

Okay

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@User_2006
What I'm tryin to get at, is to associate God with intelligence (possibly sentience) without associating God with religion. In other words religion doesn't own that conception, religions are just an interpretation of that Reality. So, do you see God as an intelligent Being or a Thing?

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@User_2006
it seems rationate on the surface, depends what arguments are used
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas

User_2006,,

You messaged me regarding your thread to participate, but was blocked by you, therefore, Jesus and I easily worked around your block. 

I don't need a Deistic God concept, because I am a TRUE Christian in accepting ALL of the Bibles content, where in part, Jesus as a serial killer, and Him being a real SOB at times, and where He conducted abortions to the women of Ephraim, and if they gave birth, He murdered their babies on the spot, and where He ONLY exists for the Jewish people. Under all of these Jesus MO's, I still accept Him because of being going to heaven someday that DOES NOT have any women present, praise!

Whereas the pseudo-christians like the one present now in this thread, make Jesus into something that He is not with their Satanic Bible rewrites, apologetics, hermeneutics, and anachronistic views, are always turning themselves into pretzels. When they perform these ungodly acts is when the Brother D. comes in and Bible Slaps them Silly®️ at their expense!  In fact, the present pseudo-christian at this time in this thread is still healing from my last encounter with him when it was shown that he called Jesus a LIAR, and the ramifications thereof, made him leave this forum for a while. Its good to see him back!

Subjectively, Deism would certainly prevent wars, where in the Middle East, it is Allah God of the Muslims against the Jew's Yahweh God. Then it became the Christians Jesus God against Iraq and Afghanistan's Allah God, then the Jews Yahweh God made itself known again in helping the Christian God Jesus in the Middle East, even though they are the SAME GOD through the Abrahamic tradition!   This is where the pseudo-christians, like the one present in this thread at this time, run and hide to this biblical axiom! 

Good post, see where it ends up with the many pseudo-christians that unfortunately all have their DIVISIONS of faith that contradict each other, which makes for great entertainment at their expense, whereas I have had fun with the current pseudo-christian within this thread many times, where Jesus and I literally own his Bible ignorance!

K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@User_2006
From the get-go, deism isn't a bad idea. At the point that a human asks, "where does everything come from," it probably has at least basic tools and commodities, since people struggling to stay alive don't spend too much time with metaphysical questions. It has affected changes in the world, and it has seen a few other things do so as well. It created a spear, the river creates a smooth stone, a bird creates a nest. It isn't a bad idea to assume that something created everything. Religions generally have a human god or gods, but there are some that have animals as well/instead, and you'll often see rivers and oceans personified in some way.

The clincher would be evidence of intelligent design. It's been fairly well accepted in most cultures for centuries that rivers don't intelligently create smooth stones, and in fact aren't intelligent at all. There is no purpose or intelligent design behind the smooth stone, instead, it is merely the result of mechanical processes like erosion.

A bird's nest is obviously built for a reason, and has a form of intelligent design. It is structured in a way to hold a bird's eggs and young safely above the ground out of the reach of most predators. 

When you look at life, it appears to be intelligently designed. The sun is warm and gives light for plants and animals to stay alive. It isn't too close or too far away. The soil has an ideal amount of certain minerals to sustain life. However, evolution suggests that life necessarily adapted to fit the circumstances, and it would be impossible to see life that isn't well-suited to its environment. 
Each of those possibilities seem equally likely to me. I am willing to accept that the universe was created by a hands-off god doesn't care enough about human death or misery to stop it, or has some reason to allow it to happen. I haven't seen this god though, or heard from it. Since the existence of such a god doesn't affect my life as opposed to an atheist model of existence, I'm going to go on as if it doesn't exist.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@User_2006
Deism is simply one of the many utterances we utilise to represent things that we do not understand.

A god principle without all the scriptural nonsense....Therefore a valid hypothesis....Not to say that popular god theories are not valid, but that the scriptural nonsense is  unnecessary.

We are, because we are able to be, maybe that's a god's handy-work....But who's handy-work is a god.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@User_2006
Deism is correct in that God isn't a 'good being' significantly more than it is an 'evil being'. God is neutral in my eyes and enjoys the show, whether it's hostile or pleasant.

Deism is incorrect in suggesting that God has neglected reality and grew bored of it. God did grow bored of reality at the start of its/her existence, since everything was predictable. What happened was that this god being increased randomness and eventually we have what we have now.

I call my god Fiora (like the league of legends character but there is reasoning behind this name) and the random generator at the core of reality (which is even above god) Aurora.