Christians don't read their Bible

Author: RoderickSpode

Total: 154
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
Or, most Christians don't read their Bible.

I see this statement from time to time, including in this forum, and would be interested to see what might lead someone to conclude this. I know why some high profile atheists like Richard Dawkins say it. But with most of them it seems more hyperbole based on political rivalry. So I think the statement has become a cliche.

I suppose if we considered every church member and attender the idea might be conceivable. But even there, it's an iffy assumption.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@RoderickSpode
I would suggest that the statement is probably a fact rather than a cliché.

Of course it might depend upon how you choose to define a Christian.

Are you referring to every Tom, Dick or Harriet that has been subjected to the water splashing ritual?...Or just to all the devoutish ones that do read their bible from time to time..

So do you have every page of your bible recorded to memory?...Because unless you have,  then what was the actual purpose of reading it...Other than  as a transitory entertainment experience.

Without looking, what does it say on page 87?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@RoderickSpode
Christians don't read their Bible Or, most Christians don't read their Bible.

Does that include you? 
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@RoderickSpode

RoderickSpode (Has RUN from 7 of my posts directed towards him and counting),

It is obvious that YOU do not read Jesus' inspired words within the Bible, and that can be easily determined by me easy Bible Slapping you Silly®️ all the time where you have to RUN AWAY from biblical axioms within certain topics that I pose to you!   If you actually read the Bible, at least you may have had a defense to my posts to you, like Jesus wants you do do in the first place, of which you have failed miserably by not even trying (Titus 1:9).  But, as shown before, I severely doubt you could ever overcome Brother D's Bible attacks towards the pseudo-christian like you and many others.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@zedvictor4
I would suggest that the statement is probably a fact rather than a cliché.

Of course it might depend upon how you choose to define a Christian.

Are you referring to every Tom, Dick or Harriet that has been subjected to the water splashing ritual?...Or just to all the devoutish ones that do read their bible from time to time..
This is actually part of why I'm posing the question. Since you stated that it is probably a fact, what are you basing this on? Are you including every Tom, Dick, and Harry?

If you go by anyone who steps into a church, which includes nominal Christians, agnostics, and even atheists, then maybe one can make this argument. If you're talking about professed believers who purposely live a Christian lifestyle, then absolutely not.

I think the statement generally implies that either most Christians only casually read the bible, focusing on the Gospels, possibly Paul's letters, maybe Revelation after watching a doomsday movie, and maybe Genesis on a very rainy day.

The idea is that if Christians knew what was being stated in the Bible, we wouldn't want to be Christians. And they may proceed to give scriptures to support their claim. And they seem to give it as if we've never seen the verses before. Which is really strange.

There are most certainly some young people who grew up in a church, never read much of the bible, left for college, someone tells them the bible supports slavery, shows them the verses, and the young person responds "Wow! I-didn't-know-this. By all means, please-tell-me-more!".

It's the Christians who have read, and study the Bible continuously that find out that no, the Bible does not condone slavery, Yahweh does not kill little children for mocking the
appearance of a prophet, does not support genocide, etc.

So do you have every page of your bible recorded to memory?...Because unless you have,  then what was the actual purpose of reading it...Other than  as a transitory entertainment experience.

Without looking, what does it say on page 87?

The bible is not a fiction novel to be read once for entertainment, and wait for the movie to come out. Nor is it an instruction manual to read over once, and then toss once understood.

That being said, memorization is an ongoing process. I myself don't pay much attention to the page numbers. And they're going to vary anyway depending on the size, and version of the Bible. Do you know the page numbers for every book you have read and claim knowledge on?

So again, per your statement, who are these Christians who probably don't read the bible?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RoderickSpode
Exactly.

There are estimated to be 2.3 billion Tom, Dick and Harry's worldwide, and given the nature of my upbringing, that's probably me included.

How many other  involuntarily labelled Christians, threw away their bibles long ago, just as I did?

So what actually is a true Christian?

Perhaps only the devout one's that do actually study and read the bible.

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@RoderickSpode

RoderickSpode (Has RUN from 8 of my posts directed towards him and counting),

YOUR REVEALING AND EMBARRASSING QUOTE: "So again, per your statement, who are these Christians who probably don't read the bible?"

The very simple answer to your question is the following DO NOT read their Bible as I and many others have embarrassingly shown within this forum:  RoderickSpode, EtrnlVw, ETHANG5, The most Bible ignorant of all, DrFranklin, PGA2.0, and a few others that post periodically.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
Or, most Christians don't read their Bible.
Couldn't this also be phrased as "most Christians don't realize what's in the bible?" Stuff like how women should be subservient, slavery's cool, the genocides, etc. Most Christians seem to get the lion's share of their biblical knowledge from the pulpit, not from the book. 
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ludofl3x

ludofl3x,

You are correct, in the fact that 99.9999% of pseudo-christians get their faiths doctrine spoon fed to them on Sunday mornings, where if they actually read their Bibles themselves, they would see biblical axioms that would startle them to the point of disbelief! lol

Case in point, when was the last time you discussed the biblical axiom with a pseudo-christian that Jesus is an Abortionist? Huh?  Which in turn, the pseudo-christians would be hypocrites when picketing any Family Planning Clinics. agreed?

JESUS AS YAHWEH GOD INCARNATE SAID AND APPROVED THE FOLLOWING AS AN OUTRIGHT ABORTIONIST: The glory of Israel will fly away like a bird, for their children will die at birth or perish in the womb or never even be conceived. Even if your children survive to grow up, I will take them from you.  It will be a terrible day when I turn away and leave you alone.  I have watched Israel become as beautiful and pleasant as Tyre.  But now Israel will bring out her children to be slaughtered oh Lord. what should I request for your people? I will ask for the wombs that don’t give birth and breast that give no milk. The LORD says, "All their wickedness began at Gilgal; there I began to hate them.  I will drive them from my land because of their evil actions.  I will love them no more because all their leaders are rebels.  The people of Israel are stricken.  Their roots are dried up; they will bear no more fruit And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children. (Hosea 9:11-16) 

Ewwwww, can you believe that when Jesus is Yahweh God incarnate, then He did the horrific things above to innocent fetus' and babies as a true Abortionist?  :(

This is what separates a TRUE Christian like myself, that accepts Jesus' MO as a brutal serial killer, whereas the pseudo-christian like are in this thread, not only cannot accept Jesus' true MO of an Abortionist, but Satanically try in vain to apologetically spin doctor His Abortionist MO  away by turning themselves in to laughable pretzels!  You've seen this happen before in this forum!

Pseudo-christians are a dime-a-dozen on DEBATEART Religion forum.

NEXT?

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@RoderickSpode
Rod, you will find that they cannot answer you. They cannot tell you on what their claim is based. Some will simply switch to another claim, ("most Christians don't realize what's in the bible?") but will still not be anywhere near able to tell you on what fact the claim is based.

They are telling you how they feel, and for most of them, how they feel is indistinguishable from fact.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5

Ethang5,

Heads up!  I understand that part of my content in  my post #9 above cannot be discussed within this thread, but only mentioned as an example as shown.  BUT, let's get another thread going where you can help me come up with meaningful excuses against our Jesus as an outright Abortionist, okay?  I want to hear your arguments that you use when this disturbing topic is brought forth, okay?

I am anxiously awaiting your reply to me in getting your input upon this somewhat annoying topic.

Thanking you in advance!

WAITING!

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
I am anxiously awaiting your reply to me in getting your input upon this somewhat annoying topic.
Is it the anxiety that makes you follow me around the board with shtick? Or is it just the Landover style? 

Thanking you in advance! WAITING!
Actually, I'm enjoying your stalking so I think I'll keep you waiting a bit longer. I'm on the politics forum too, you might want to expand your stalking to include that too. You guys vote at Landover don't you?

Lol!
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
You are currently fixated with "Landover".

So what is Landover?

Are you referring to the Magic Kingdom (Terry Brooks), or perhaps the Town in Maryland.....These are the two options that my quick internet search comes up with.

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@zedvictor4

zedvictor4,

Yes, ethang5, the proven and without a doubt number 1 Bible ignorant pseudo-christian on DEBATEART Religion Forum, keeps bringing up this Landover thingy, but in turn, runs away from telling us in what it represents, like he runs away from his jabberwocky  word salad posts when questioned about them, especially the most embarrassing one in me Bible Slapping him Silly®️ in The Free Will-Omniscience Dilemma thread.  

The laughable irony that ethang5  says that I am stalking him is another embarrassment towards him, equal to his landmark uneducated Bible ignorant quote mentioned above, whereas shown below in my activities section, who is stalking who? LOL!

«ethang5» mentioned you in a new post for the forum topic «Christians don't read their Bible»
09:47PM

«ethang5» mentioned you in a new post for the forum topic «Jeff Goldblum Challenge - Making Sense of Atheism»
09:41PM

«ethang5» mentioned you in a new post for the forum topic «The Free Will-Omniscience Dilemma»
09:12PM

«ethang5» mentioned you in a new post for the forum topic «They Want To Discuss Anything But The Bible»
02:25PM

«ethang5» mentioned you in a new post for the forum topic «The Free Will-Omniscience Dilemma»
03:53AM
June 09, 2020

«ethang5» mentioned you in a new post for the forum topic «They Want To Discuss Anything But The Bible»
08:42PM

«ethang5» mentioned you in a new post for the forum topic «Jeff Goldblum Challenge - Making Sense of Atheism»
07:37PM

06:24PM

11:09PM

10:14PM

«ethang5» mentioned you in a new post for the forum topic «Would you consider this evidence?» 
11:20AM

«ethang5» mentioned you in a new post for the forum topic «Would you consider this evidence?» 
10:33AM

Every Religion forum has to have its totally BIBLE IGNORANT FOOL, therefore, ours is the predictable pseudo-christian ETHANG5!

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5

Ethang5,

Regarding once again, in this case, you RUNNING AWAY from my post #11 regarding help towards disturbing biblical axioms.

YOUR RUNAWAY QUOTE AGAIN: "Actually, I'm enjoying your stalking so I think I'll keep you waiting a bit longer"

Oh no, not again?! More of your excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses AGAIN, as in this case, in not wanting to help me cover up the fact of Jesus being an Abortionist!  Why don't you want to share your assumed knowledge regarding this topic?  Obviously it came up before in your travels around Religion Forums, yes?  I just need a quick synopsis in how you handled this disturbing fact about our Jesus, okay?  Did you just RUN AWAY from Jesus being an Abortionist, like you do in this forum where I easily make you the Bible fool?  Or do you just leave the conversation regarding Jesus being an Abortionist by yelling: "I don't hear you, neener, neener, neener?"

As shown once again, this is why you are a perfect example of a pseudo-christian compared to me being a TRUE Christian, where I do not run away from disturbing biblical axioms, whereas your MO runs away from them, and then you still want to call yourself a Christian in general?  NOT! LOL!

Okay, what is going to be your never ending NEXT EXCUSE to not help me and others in regards to the topic at hand of trying to cover up the blatant fact that our Jesus is an Abortionist? Huh?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
You are currently fixated with "Landover".
Lol. Or one of them is "fixated" with me. Either or.

So what is Landover?
Landover Baptist Church. Dee Dee's a brother deacon there. Look at their website and you will see where Dee Dee gets his tired shtick. You would love it.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
who is stalking who?
You address me first in ever thread. That, my dear compulsive, is stalking. I respond because, as we all know, I like stalkers. So I respond to you.

You aren't capable of not stalking me anyway. You're compulsive, and past a certain point, compulsion is uncontrollable.

Now I've got you making double posts to me in the same thread. You've gone way past the all caps, all bold, and weird dashed lines. You even mention me in your posts to others. If you charged me rent for the rooms I occupy in your head, I'd be broke.

I'm here for you Dee Dee. No matter how many times you spam post your silly bible slapping or running away shtick, I will be there for you. You crave attention right homer? Well, you got it now.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas

ethang5,

My time is valuable, so I'll be quicker to the point in the link shown below that you continually RUN AWAY from at all costs! LOL!

NEXT?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Hey Dee Dee, on every thread, you're spamming links to other threads. Why? Have you lost your taste for templates?
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@RoderickSpode
Do atheists read theirs?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@ronjs
A lot of atheists are atheists because they read your bible. 
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x

Couldn't this also be phrased as "most Christians don't realize what's in the bible?" Stuff like how women should be subservient, slavery's cool, the genocides, etc. Most Christians seem to get the lion's share of their biblical knowledge from the pulpit, not from the book. 

This is the quote you would probably want to address.

"It's the Christians who have read, and study the Bible continuously that find out that no, the Bible does not condone slavery, Yahweh does not kill little children for mocking the
appearance of a prophet, does not support genocide, etc."

And your suggestion doesn't make sense in that it may be rewording the way I originally put it, but not saying anything different. If Christians don't realize what's in the Bible, then they couldn't have read it. So you're stuck with the same problem in trying to suggest Christians don't read the Bible.  And that somehow atheists are the only people who actually read the Bible, and are being gracious by enlightening all of us Christians about verses they don't think we've ever read.

We read the Bible, and see the same exact things that you or any atheist see. Yes, we read the account of Elisha and the bears, and it looks like from a rather shallow contemporary viewpoint that Elisha was upset because some little kids insulted him and called out a couple of bears out on them for vengeance. To actually assume that's what the verses are implying without considering every form of content is beyond absurd. If this account, or any others in the bible were found recorded in a Sumerian cuneiform, and a linguist/historian studying it's context, determined they mean something other than how it appears to read at first modern glance, there would be no issue. It would be considered confirmed. But (and I'm sorry) these dopey atheist activist websites feel they can make an exception with the bible. If it was a Sumerian text, which has no direct influence on our society, then everyone would understand historical context, difficulty in ancient language translation, etc.

If atheists are unwilling to acknowledge such a very simple, and extremely obvious factor, then the arguments just get relegated to attempting crafty comebacks, stinging quips, etc. At that point logic and reason gets tossed out for arguments based on a silly rivalry.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x
A lot of atheists are atheists because they read your bible. 

I think you might be a bit too quick to give atheists too much credit. More than likely most atheists who follow the atheist biblical doctrine came to their conclusion by reading someone else's biblical diatribe. In an atheist comic book, yes, the story line would probably involve atheists (and former Christians) reading the Bible on their own and determining on their own that the book is wicked in nature. The reality is that the internet has developed on line sermons that spoon feed allegations of corrupt axioms to it's flock.

There's a wall of separation that looks something like this.

College kid grows up in church, then leaves for college. In college he meets an atheist who tells him that the bible condones slavery, and shows him the verses. The kid says "wow'' in absolute amazement. He says "I've never seen this before. I've only read verses about God's love. I wonder if Billy Graham knew about this? I think I'll go on line and tell the world!"

That kid hit a wall. He can get over the wall by reading the verses the atheist showed him, and then study the actual meaning.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ethang5
Rod, you will find that they cannot answer you. They cannot tell you on what their claim is based. Some will simply switch to another claim, ("most Christians don't realize what's in the bible?") but will still not be anywhere near able to tell you on what fact the claim is based.

They are telling you how they feel, and for most of them, how they feel is indistinguishable from fact.
Yes, and the amazing thing is that what you're saying doesn't only apply to casual forum members, but includes atheists who maintain a profound media presence. Richard Dawkins actually believes that if the bible were more public, like in public libraries, people would turn away from the bible after reading it.  What does he think believers do after conversion? I guess he thinks they continue to read Harry Potter books.

I've seen the claim many times, including from relatively prominent people. And I don't think any of them know what they're talking about.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@RoderickSpode
None of them do, but as a great man once said, "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is the belief that one is already knowleagable."

The atheist isn't here to reason, he is here with a gripe built on emotion. For example, you can plainly show him where the bible condemns and prohibits slavery, and sets the punishment for slavery as death, and he'll simply roll with his atheist dogma despite what the clear and unambiguous verses say.

There are many reasons atheism is still a fringe belief, and one of those reasons is due to how atheist activists behave in public.
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@ludofl3x
Reading and understanding are two different things . Most atheists objections indicate that they don't understand  grammar, or read very carefully.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@ronjs
I wouls say it's 80% not understanding grammar, though they seem to understand the exact same grammar quite well in non-biblical sources.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ronjs
Re.  #26.

A tad subjective and also a tad arrogant, to say the least.

Given the historical nature of the bible and it's compilation, I would therefore suggest that interpretation and the acceptance thereof, is the more pertinent quality of the theist, rather than grammatical and cognitive acuity.

Discernment is the atheists best quality....The ability to see the wood for the trees or sort the grain from the chaff, as it were.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@zedvictor4

Discernment is the atheists best quality....The ability to see the wood for the trees or sort the grain from the chaff, as it were.

Discernment is not a quality owned by atheists in any monopolizing sense. There are no doubt atheists that are objectively skeptical, but they seem to be the exception. Most atheists that claim to be skeptical appear very biased, as they're only skeptical in regards to the Bible. The real atheist skeptics are the ones who include claims from atheist sources.

One of the major evidences of this is skepticism towards Christian apologetics. There's nothing wrong with skepticism, but no one ever gives a sound argument against it. They seem to demand non-acceptance by some sort of default without any refutation.

Another would be the Christian/ancient mythology comparisons. Many so-called atheist skeptics fell for the Jesus/Horus comparison scam. A chart was made comparing Jesus and Horus supposedly found in the Egyptian Book of the Dead. This was a complete hoax. Why weren't the atheists who fell for it skeptical against the claim?

Another trick of the comparison trade is to create a chart lining comparisons up with Jesus, taking portions throughout a mythology that appear similar to accounts credited to Jesus, and line them up in a chart giving the appearance that certain bible scriptures are carbon copies of myths with minor changes.

And then of course they completely break the rules by implying that any similarities are a product of copying. Aside from that compromising
violation we all understand that coincidences are inevitable, even if they appear uncannily similar like the novel about the Titan ship, and the Factual Titanic. And Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@RoderickSpode
Because at the core, their arguments are not logical but emotional. That also explains their unreasonable anger at strangers on the net, and their obsession with God and Christianity.