Alot of police are clueless

Author: HistoryBuff

Total: 32
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
here is a link to a video of the US police department union president. He is standing in front of a wall of cops. They are all male. they are all white despite the city they "protect" being diverse. He then goes on to whine about how great New York cops are and that he is proud of the work they do. It is inter-cut with some of the behavior of new york cops to peaceful protesters. 

I think he honestly believes the things he is saying. He believes that the police are acting nobly as they club and beat people whose only crime is protesting or not "giving them respect". He doesn't understand that respect is earned. And the actions of the NYPD during the protests proved they don't deserve that respect. They did act like thugs. Their actions were shameful. The fact that he doesn't see that is a huge problem. 

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
Well, the NYPD did decrease violent crime by like half since 2000. We should abolish the NYPD right?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ILikePie5
The N.Y.P.D. would still be the N.Y.P.D. …..You cannot abolish law enforcement...Perhaps the N.Y.P.D. just requires a different ethos and modus operandi. (Change)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@HistoryBuff
lots are clueless including yourself, make no mistake and I certainly don't know everything which is why I don't generally make statements like the heading, just makes you look bad rather than what you are attempting to make look bad.  Afaik you are not an expert on law enforcement, psychology, human nature, training etc  and not really interested in learning or being informed, just judgemental.  In an attempt to enlighten you a tad please search and read up on "compassion fatigue"  that should also lead you down a rabbit hole that you should explore if you truly want to learn and understand instead of just judge.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Well, the NYPD did decrease violent crime by like half since 2000. We should abolish the NYPD right?
violent crime rates have been falling all over the western world for decades. That doesn't mean the NYPD did any of that without abusing alot of people and committing alot of crimes. 

They are currently involved in a huge amount of abuse of their power and at the same time are whining about how they should be respected. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
white bad

man bad

rinse and repeat
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Dr.Franklin
There's nothing wrong with being a white man. But the protests about about cops abusing black men. so the fact that he is standing in front of a crowd of cops with no women or people of color in sight, while praising the NYPD for being worthy of respect even though they are engaging in countless acts of police brutality. 

The optics of the group of cops given the terrible things they are doing and why, is terrible. But that is mostly just subtext. It is the whining about how they demand respect while simultaneously doing things that make people respect them less. They are just in a different reality than normal people. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
A vast majority of cops are honest and hardworking. A vast majority of cops aren’t racist.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
A vast majority of cops are honest and hardworking. A vast majority of cops aren’t racist.
what evidence do you have for that assertion?

There are tons of videos right now of police beating on and abusing unarmed protesters. I can only think of 1 video where an officer attempted to prevent or chastise one of these abuses. Even if there are good cops, they aren't doing much good if they stand back and watch their fellow officers commit crimes. 

The videos are evidence of a big problem spread over much of the country. The fact that no one is trying to stop them, and the only time they actually get punished for it is when a viral video goes up, shows that the cops around them are complicit. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
what evidence do you have for that assertion? 
Burden of proof is on you homie. Videos of 20 bad cops don’t show the “vast majority” of cops are bad considering there are 800,000 law enforcement officials. I can show you countless videos of cops doing good things over the course of 3 decades. Let’s say there are 4 cops with each bad cop making them bad as well, that’s 80 cops. That’s 0.01 percent of the police population that’s a thousandth of the police officers that are bad.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Statistically speaking if you are a black person, you will experience more than 10 times the amount of violence from other blacks than you will from any white person. Why is black violence so tolerable? Is it a cultural thing?

Crime statistics are a better source of evidence than viral videos.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Crime statistics are a better source of evidence than viral videos.
Those too. Liberals don’t seem to accept the statistics tho so I chose the video route.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Burden of proof is on you homie. Videos of 20 bad cops don’t show the “vast majority” of cops are bad considering there are 800,000 law enforcement officials.
there are dozens of videos which include hundreds of cops either directly abusing people or standing around as their fellow officers abuse people. There are very, very few that include a cop trying to reign in the abuse of their colleagues. Expecting someone to be able to provide a video of every cop in america being abusive is obviously bullshit. The fact that there are hundreds of cops culpable in this extremely damning. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Yeah, but sensational videos are circulated more, leading to a false perception of reality.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@HistoryBuff
There's nothing wrong with being a white man. But the protests about about cops abusing black men. so the fact that he is standing in front of a crowd of cops with no women or people of color in sight, while praising the NYPD for being worthy of respect even though they are engaging in countless acts of police brutality. 
but why? It affects whites more. 

also the NYPD has been worthy of respect, the rioters which is the majority of the protestors anyway, very few of them act in police brutality and if they do, they make up for the mistake

why does there need to be women?

NYC is made up of majority white and many cops are from the suburbs which is even more white so why does it surprise you there are white cops, they a re plently of black cops around the nation, one of them killed in the protests

The optics of the group of cops given the terrible things they are doing and why, is terrible. But that is mostly just subtext. It is the whining about how they demand respect while simultaneously doing things that make people respect them less. They are just in a different reality than normal people.
what is so terrible right now, a few rioters get beat up, so what
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
there are dozens of videos which include hundreds of cops either directly abusing people or standing around as their fellow officers abuse people. 
Please show me videos of “hundreds” of cops abusing people or standing around as their fellow officers abuse people. I would love to see a number anywhere near 100.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Yeah, but sensational videos are circulated more, leading to a false perception of reality.
Gotta fight fire with fire. It’s the only language these people seem to listen to.
Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
I wouldn't say they're clueless. Rather, they're said to be often undertrained, or trained poorly, so as a result they're quick to rely on lethal force instead of effective grappling holds and stuff to restrain suspects.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Christen
The sad thing is that the police are probably going to be trained even more poorly with less experience as Democrat Mayors race to fill in the staffing gaps left by the maligned good cops voluntarily leaving the police force.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Dr.Franklin
why does there need to be women?
the reason i mentioned that part was that the whole point of the protests is the abuse of people of color by white (primarily male) police. So the optics of it being an entire crowd of white, male police whining about wanting respect while they simultaneously carry out the brutality people are protesting is just worth noting. 

NYC is made up of majority white and many cops are from the suburbs which is even more white so why does it surprise you there are white cops, they a re plently of black cops around the nation, one of them killed in the protests
it's the optics of it. the protests are about white cops abusing black people. so they lined up alot of white cops so that they could whine about how unfair it is that they don't get enough respect while they are also carrying out crimes that would get anyone else thrown in prison. 

what is so terrible right now, a few rioters get beat up, so what
that is not what anyone is talking about. What people are talking about is the hundreds, if not thousands of peaceful protesters being attacked by police. In those clips you can see some of them. Like that guy on his bike trying to get home while a cop is beating him with a club. That isn't a rioter. But that cop won't be punished for beating him. That is exactly the kind of thing people are protesting against. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Christen
I wouldn't say they're clueless. Rather, they're said to be often undertrained, or trained poorly, so as a result they're quick to rely on lethal force instead of effective grappling holds and stuff to restrain suspects.
it's not about that. It isn't that they can't restrain people without hurting them, it is that they want to hurt people. I've seen videos of guns rights protests full of armed angry people (usually all white). No cop pepper sprays them or shoots them. But a black person yells at cop about police brutality and a group of cops curb stomp him or pepper spray him in the face. 

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Please show me videos of “hundreds” of cops abusing people or standing around as their fellow officers abuse people. I would love to see a number anywhere near 100.
you want me to go out and find you dozens of videos? Well i have already shown you several of them and every single time you say something similar to "well they deserved it". Why would I go to the effort of finding evidence that you have proven you will immediately dismiss? I mean in the clip this post started around there are at least a dozen people being attacked. 

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
you want me to go out and find you dozens of videos? Well i have already shown you several of them and every single time you say something similar to "well they deserved it". Why would I go to the effort of finding evidence that you have proven you will immediately dismiss? I mean in the clip this post started around there are at least a dozen people being attacked. 
Burden of proof is on you to prove a “vast majority” of cops are bad. At best you maybe have 100 cops out of 800,000. You’re extrapolating 100 to 500,000ish. Show me the extrapolation is warranted. Anecdotal evidence doesn’t mean much.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
 But the protests about about cops abusing black men
Then why does it matter that they were all male cops lined up? Do you think the male cops are being sexist towards black men as well? Should there be 2% gay cops in the crowd to represent the "diverse" city?

And the protests are ridiculous. If you account for the number of police shootings that occur per violent crime committed by each race, you will see that white people are shot more often per violent crime arrest than black people. (I can pull up the data if you want. Just lemme know)

And I don't see why it matters that the cops were white at this press event, either. There is no evidence as far as I know stating that black cops shoot black people less often than white cops do. 
This study didn't find any such evidence of racial bias in police killings. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/puar.12956

The only reason anyone would find it problematic that only white cops were present would be if the spectator bought into the narrative that black people are specifically targeted by police for their race in these killings.

But that cop won't be punished for beating him. That is exactly the kind of thing people are protesting against. 
*cough* UNIONS *cough* 

Unions make it harder to punish and fire bad employees? I'm shocked.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Christen
Most people shot are armed, so I don't know that a good portion of these deaths could even be prevented by training in grappling holds. And unarmed people can get shot because you think they are armed (reaching for the glove box, etc.). Any life saved would be good, but that sounds incredibly expensive and police will spend more time in training and less time on the streets making them safe, so more people could die from lack of policing too. 
Envisage
Debates: 3
Envisage
-->
@HistoryBuff
Bernie Sanders made a statement a couple days ago which I largely agree with, that the law enforcement needs to look like the people they police over, and not look like an invading force taking control.

It might actually be sensible to impose a demographic make-up or quotas for the police in the US so that trust between the populace and police is improved and that they are seen as more of a service to the community rather than to their authorities.

This comes with a lot of issues on discrimination such as those faced by affirmative action that would need to be navigated though, and clearly will take a long time to implement.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Envisage
Then we are back to the problem of having law enforcement assets revolving around superficial traits rather than merit. I thought America wanted a better trained and more competent police force? It's the areas that have the most violent, uneducated cultures that need the most protection, especially considering the urban poor need the police far more often than people with the means to secure and relocate their own interests. That's not the area you pull competent police from. It's an area you recruit thugs from.

Cities don't recruit their urban police workforce from the suburbs because it matches a skin color card. It's because that is where the cultural talent is.

Instead of requiring the police force to wear superficial costumes to appear less threatening, perhaps it would be better for the country to not be so skin color sensitive. We are the most skin color sensitive nation on the planet right now, and there are plenty of political leaders saying we are not skin sensitive enough. It's ridiculous, this skin culture America is so fascinated with embracing.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@HistoryBuff
the reason i mentioned that part was that the whole point of the protests is the abuse of people of color by white (primarily male) police. So the optics of it being an entire crowd of white, male police whining about wanting respect while they simultaneously carry out the brutality people are protesting is just worth noting. 
yeah but the majority of victims of police brutality are whites and men so it is realistic, stop with the identity politics

it's the optics of it. the protests are about white cops abusing black people. so they lined up alot of white cops so that they could whine about how unfair it is that they don't get enough respect while they are also carrying out crimes that would get anyone else thrown in prison. 

what did NY police do to black people, it goes by city and region.also., who cares if no one is black, there just arent enough qualified black police officers, oh well, optics of what??

that is not what anyone is talking about. What people are talking about is the hundreds, if not thousands of peaceful protesters being attacked by police. In those clips you can see some of them. Like that guy on his bike trying to get home while a cop is beating him with a club. That isn't a rioter. But that cop won't be punished for beating him. That is exactly the kind of thing people are protesting against. 

those thousands of peaceful protesters tors are at the scene when the rioters riot,they are apart of the problem

cops are punished for bad behavior
Envisage
Debates: 3
Envisage
-->
@HistoryBuff
12.1% of the US police force is black. Roughly 15% of the US population is black.

These statistics are not hard to find.

The population, and police force isn't spread homogeneously. Very few samples of the US will have the average ratio of blacks/whites. Blacks tend to be concentrated in communities and vice versa.

So while there need to be better representation of blacks and Latinos in the police force in the US, the statistics for Blacks aren't what your post portrays, and a sample of a handful of white police officers says nothing for how diverse it is.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Envisage
do the police attire look so different than police of other countries?

could it be possible that only 12.1% of the police force is black because that's the % based on applicants and those who meet and pass the criteria?  should be just hire them based on their skin color?  maybe have a darkness rating like they do for window tint?  sorry he's darker than you, he in, you are out.
stats show a disproportionate crime rate too, do you think the pool who would go into law enforcement and doesn't have a record is much smaller than the population pool?