-->
@ILikePie5
Me:😂😂😂 
Chicken:😞😞😞😞🤒🤒🤒🤕🤕🤕

148 days later

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
As a guy currently in high school - homework - is complicated - we have a complicated relationship. One on hand - it is useful for studying or reinforcing topics you didn't understand in class on the other hand it can every easily overwhelm you or just confuse you more

I don't think there is a perfect balance, but I believe we can make a better one.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Been a few years away from homework, but I still hit the books with relish. So much to learn and so little time - I'm seeing the wall in the distance and its approaching too fast and I will not survive the impact!
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Indeed, it truly is a sad case that there is only so much time as to absorb knowledge in this lifetime and so much knowledge that is to be obtained. I believe myself lucky to have given myself a slight headstart compared to most. Starting relatively young at 14 or so, as that is whenever I became serious about researching and studying.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
A superb start. Well done, Edge 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
@Theweakeredge
Yep, we're rapidly evolving into a future, where humans will become more and more superfluous....This clearly suggests to me that humanity is only a means to something else.

So knowledge is going to be key,  if you want to stay in the game.
skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@Shamayita
hell no schl is low key a legalized prison 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
Uuuuh...... Something else? Sure. What would you think that something else is?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@skittlez09
More like prison in Islamic nations where you get less punishment if you recite the Quran by heart. In school we are taught to remember stuff we don't need whatsoever.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Intelligence_06
I mean, some stuff yeah, but there is also a lot of stuff definitely neccesary

11 days later

Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
Homework does not fuel academic success. It inhibits family time and burdens parents; infringes on playtime and recreation time; and fosters resentment for school + learning that is detrimental and unnecessary. Research shows there is no relationship between the time you spend on homework and your grades. You can't "reinforce" understanding the way you can reinforce a behavior. If you had a hard time understanding the lesson in class, chances are you won't have an easier time understanding it (if you can understand it at all) by yourself through the assignment of homework. I explained why in a debate on this subject. 
MarkWebberFan
Debates: 2
MarkWebberFan
-->
@Danielle
Yeah, I'm a student and I agree for different reasons. I think the vast majority of instructors would disagree with you though.
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@MarkWebberFan
They would probs disagree with me but I would direct them to the research. 
MarkWebberFan
MarkWebberFan
-->
@Danielle
Well, I am going to rant nonetheless even though I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say and accomplish. I think instructors (the kind you get in university) are largely rude and unpleasant people. My university is a "luxuriously aloof" kind of university. They rarely open themselves up to the community and they rarely help the "common people". Sure, they'll make a big case study out of some bankrupt company but what I'm trying to say is they rarely encourage students to venture out in the real world. I have no idea what they do during semester breaks and my attempts to communicate is  usually met with immediate scorn. 

These are my reasons why I don't bother to do my homework. Plus, my philosophy homeworks usually require me to read 3 pages of "word-salad". I usually read philosophy at a much faster pace (10 pages on a normal night). Instructors seem to think I'm dumb and I really resent that.
aletheakatharos
Debates: 0
aletheakatharos
-->
@MarkWebberFan
I really think our education structure needs to be completely decimated and reconstructed. Our world is changing, and so it seems pointless to continue using the same strategies we have for years. Homework should have a practical purpose instead of busy work.
MarkWebberFan
MarkWebberFan
-->
@aletheakatharos
interesting idea.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
The average student can only focus and retain for 25 minutes at a time on any topic.
Utanity
Utanity
-->
@Greyparrot
The average student can only focus and retain for 25 minutes at a time on any topic.
Thats because the average peoples their always doing the distractions but top peoples they are motor vaited and they focus the brain on what is at hand.
aletheakatharos
aletheakatharos
-->
@Danielle
As a teacher myself, I could not agree more. This is why I never assign any homework and have students do exercises during class instead.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@aletheakatharos
I wish I was in your classes, lol, homework is a pretty regular thing where I'm from, I don't know of any teachers who don't assign it.
Rishi_D
Rishi_D
-->
@User_2006
I completely agree with you that this slogan is overused by teachers all over the place just for an excuse to give little kids more homework. There are also some parents even who push parents to give their children more homework to supposedly teach them how to manage time properly. However you shouldn't teach your kids time management by drowning them with homework and expecting a 4.0 GPA. It's unrealistic and truly disheartening that so many parents do this.