After reading debates I can't find the vote button

Author: simplybeourselves

Total: 18
simplybeourselves
Debates: 1
simplybeourselves
Hello. I'm new here. I've been reading some debates on this site but I can't seem to find the button to vote anywhere. I'm talking about debates that have a 'voting' status. How do you vote for somebody? 

Thanks in advance!

Simply

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@simplybeourselves
Voter Eligibility

In order for users to be eligible to vote on debates, user's current accounts must reflect that they have read the site's COC AND either completed at least 2 non-troll debates without any forfeits or posted 100 forum posts. Any user who attempts to vote without having these criteria met will have their vote removed. If a user repeatedly attempts to vote without having these criteria met, their voting privileges may be suspended until they meet this criteria.
simplybeourselves
simplybeourselves
-->
@RationalMadman
Thank you! I'll read up on that :) 

EDIT:

Ahhhhh I see.  So can you let me know if I'm understanding this correctly:

So the voting buttons will appear for me once I've either made 100 posts or completed two debates without trolling ... all while successfully adhering to the DART rules. Is that correct?

EDIT 2: Where can I find the code of conduct?

EDIT 3: Neverrmind, I see that it's right above the voting policy section.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
@David
@Barney
@simplybeourselves
The debates need to have 0 Rounds forfeited by you and must be 2 or more Rounds (or 3, am not sure on the specifics I am an old timer here who unlocked voting at a time when just joining the site got me the access to the button).

One or more of the three people I tagged aside from you will be able to tell you the specific criteria.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@simplybeourselves
On a computer's Internet Browser the bottom of the website are buttons to things like the code of conduct, it may be placed different on an iPhone but for Android, it's easiest to view the website on a smartphone while it's vertical (the horizontal formatting is done less straightforward in my opinion).
simplybeourselves
simplybeourselves
Thank you, my friend. I am going to read up on the COC now. Hopefully I haven't done anything that has broken it before reading it! I'm really excited about this place. I've been rather disillusioned about not being able to find good and mature debates on the internet but now it looks like I may have found exactly what I was looking for! :) 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@simplybeourselves
This website in general has only 12 or so active members at any given time. Thanks to Covid-19 driving us all more indoors, the population is nearer to 15-16 active members whereas before it was nearer to only 8-9. Imagine out of the whole planet only that many people caring about debating. It's sad but yes, I too searched for a place like this. Formerly debate.org and debateisland.com suited me (I do NOT recommend EVEN TRYING createdebate.com it's an anarchic shitshow of trolling in severe forms). After DDO was plagued by adbots and had many technical glitches, this website arose and I definitely enjoy that the mods and admin are so interactive with the userbase here, it really is the biggest selling point.
simplybeourselves
simplybeourselves
Best I found was Kialo before this but despite the fact that the system itself was great some of the moderators and admins of the site seemed biased and would disallow claims from views they disagreed with even when they were more reasonable than the claims they agreed with.

The leaderboard and the ELO system and everything ....... this is my heaven. Hopefully someday the site will have more active members but I'd rather a few reasonable members on a wonderful website than a website with many members that is no good. 

Will be awesome if this site grows more someday. Looks amazing.

What's DDO?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@simplybeourselves
Debate Dot Org, it was and is a common acronym we use for it.
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@simplybeourselves
Best I found was Kialo before this but despite the fact that the system itself was great some of the moderators and admins of the site seemed biased and would disallow claims from views they disagreed with even when they were more reasonable than the claims they agreed with.
Kialo is a nice website but as far as I remember their format is different from what we have here.

The leaderboard and the ELO system and everything ....... this is my heaven. Hopefully someday the site will have more active members but I'd rather a few reasonable members on a wonderful website than a website with many members that is no good.
Yeah, I hope so too. My plan is to finish the new design and then start advertising and see what happens, hopefully we'll have at least 100 active users and things will get more interesting. Also we'll have some features that don't exist on other websites, so that's also exciting :)
simplybeourselves
simplybeourselves
Yeah, I do like what Kialo's format is aiming for but it seems kind of unrealistic to a utopian degree. In an ideal world that structure would work but we don't live in an ideal world.  IOW that format only really works if all the admins and moderators are unbiased because claims require their approval. That's the issue. For it to really work well the moderators and admins have to kind of be superhuman because even the most rational people in the world are going to be biased to SOME degree.

So I think this format is better. Was annoying that some of my claims wouldn't get accepted because the admins of Kialo thought they weren't relevant no matter how many times I tried to explain that they were.

This place has structure but not TOO MUCH structure. This place creates a nice balance. Most places don't have enough structure and places like Kialo have too much. That's one of the things that seems so great about here. It's a nice balance.

Also, I absolutely LOVE the Elo rating system so to have that for debating ..... that's just ace.

Exciting indeed, my friend.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@simplybeourselves
The Elo system firstly is not entirely accurately done here, in my eyes (weighting-wise) and there were many issues earlier on as grudge-voting disguised as genuine voting was a major issue thanks to quite a few users, the most prominent one who did it nonstop to me was Ramshutu, he also is a major reason why Oromagi won as much as he did (they voted for each other but to be fair to Oromagi, I believe that he believed his votes whereas Ramshutu was blatantly slanting utter nonsense angles to justify his votes). There was a clear cut win-win relationship between Oromagi, Ramshutu and Ragnar, with Ramshutu being the one who most knowingly and ruthlessly did the bullshit voting scheme.

Ramshutu quit this website mysteriously soon after the old head mod (who always ruled in favour of Ramshutu and even modded this corrupt guy) was dethroned.  I think it had to do with Virtuoso not letting him prey on me so easily and Ragnar changed after he got his role as deputy mod into a far fairer and wiser member of the community. Why I specifically call out Ramshutu is to explain that the Rating you see on debaters who had a lot of debates was almost 80-85% controlled by Ramshutu's whims as he dedicated to voting on everyone's debates and stalled ever debating at all for many months of his site membership, planning carefully who to build rapport with and who to prey upon without letting them fight back as he picked his opponents and topics extremely carefully.
simplybeourselves
simplybeourselves
The Elo system is far from perfect .... but I don't think there is a perfect rating system. Yes, it has its flaws, yes it can be rigged, yes there can be cheaters .... but I still think that it is *generally* useful.

EDIT: Some of the issues you mention regarding people agreeing to vote for each other ........ I think that's an issue that will largely disappear as the site grows. The problem will still exist.... but the punishments for such a thing can become harsher because losing a member of the site won't matter as much when the site is a lot larger.

Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@simplybeourselves
You can unlock voting in one of two ways:
  1. Complete two debates, which must be rated, have open voting system, and not have any forfeits (I believe the system allows a single misses round from your opponent, but more than that denies you the proper experience). They should also be moderation eligible debates (no insult matches, and the primary intent can't be comedy). Once said debates reach the voting stage, it should unlock.
  2. Make 100 forum comments, and they can't be spam. I think this basically indicates interest. A fast way to do this is playing a game of forum Mafia, there is currently a game available to join: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4328-ilikepies-mafia-signups?page=1
If there are any you really wanted to vote on, you can still post a comment on the debate. It won't count toward the tally, but I would bet the debaters would still love the feedback.

And welcome to this site. I'm the deputy moderator, and I'll directly say that our general dislike of topics does not result in any action.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
How is it their fault if their opponent forfeits?
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@RationalMadman
How is it their fault if their opponent forfeits?
It's not. I would like to change the rules to reflect this.
User_2006
Debates: 50
User_2006
I am probably too late here but you must complete 2 moderated debates. 
simplybeourselves
simplybeourselves
This all sounds excellent. Thank you, Ragnar.