Teleported to the past?

Author: WaterPhoenix

Total: 60
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
What would you do if you were suddenly teleported to the past? For me the answer is simple. I'd kill myself. Before we get too hasty here, I'm not suicidal, I swear. I have too much nothing to do to die. But, if I were teleported to the past, in order to not alter a single event in history, I would find a remote area and discreetly kill myself. No matter what atrocity I could prevent, it's not worth messing with the timeline to prevent. As a result of preventing one tragedy who knows how many more could occur? Is this the right thing to do though?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Where or what do you think the past might be?
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@zedvictor4
Anytime anywhere, however, if it was a case where I was transported to my past body with my memories intact, I would try to re-enact my life as closely as possible. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
Well O.K...Simply as a hypothetical fantasy situation....Because the past is billions of years if not infinite...What one would do would be relevant to the moment and environment one found oneself in....As a "sudden transportation" is not suggestive of a great deal of choice in the matter.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@WaterPhoenix
 if I were teleported to the past, in order to not alter a single event in history, I would find a remote area and discreetly kill myself. No matter what atrocity I could prevent, it's not worth messing with the timeline to prevent. As a result of preventing one tragedy who knows how many more could occur? Is this the right thing to do though?
Consider you've opened a one way portal from a later time to an earlier time.  When you come through that portal even  just  the act entering the new time stream adds your net matter and  heat energy  the old timeline's universe for however long the portal is open.  Consider that however discretely you kill yourself.  Your corpses matter must disperse in this new timeline and your old timelines self proceed towards the teleportation event with that incremental increase in heat and light increasing over iterations until  those increases effectively zero out the chance you would continue to teleport to that time and place.  Eventually, there would be sudden increase in heat and corpses that would eventually prevent you from ever trying to teleport in the first place.  All attempts to travel to past are likely futile, perhaps even self sealing.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
i feel like theres some paradox to this but i cant quite figure it out
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@oromagi
That is one theory I guess.
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@WaterPhoenix
How far into the past would you have to go to enact the suicide plan?
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Barney
Whatever the smallest unit of time is.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@WaterPhoenix
What is a unit of time?
Barney
Barney
-->
@WaterPhoenix
If not any significant amount of time, you would be unable to measure any changes before catching up with your origin point. And your death would still have a full impact on the future.

I think your self removal, would only make any sense if at least a year ago. Even then, I doubt any changes you could try to make would do harm, at worst you would be one more crazy person shouting the end is nigh something something China pandemic.

Regarding the danger of the butterfly effect, the TV series The Flash showed the most simple consequence of time travel, which the further back you go, the more unpredictable the impact from it would be... So let's say you arrive 500 years ago, immediately head out to a remote spot to end it, and along the way you bump into one random guy. That random guy is fooling around with his wife a week later and his mind wonders back to that odd person he bumped into, thus prolonging the passion. His wife still gets pregnant the same night, only the egg merges with a different sperm from the same father. The obvious case of randomization is switching the sex of the future child, but let's say it was a boy and is still a boy, but is more or less hansom than in the previous iteration... That one change spirals out, not just in one family tree, but in the impacts of everyone they interact with slightly differently. The population of at least one region will get randomized, and likewise other people as well considering our interconnected world.

So I don't think suicide to avoid the butterfly effect would be a good idea in that scenario.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Barney
Ok, first of all, how was the first example that popped into your mind a guy getting fired up while banging his wife cause of some random kid he met in the streets? And that made him bang her harder? Is he gay and a pedo? That aside, that's where the emphasis on discreetly comes in, if it is absolutely impossible to commit suicide discreetly, I suppose I could just blend in as a mute if it's too far back or I can't change the language, or just blend into the background.
Barney
Barney
-->
@WaterPhoenix
As per your profile, you're 90 years old, which probably makes you memorable. Heck, just wearing different fashion from other people might make you memorable. Also I referenced prolonging things, for which thinking of random non-appealing stuff is useful... The point is that even a single second shift in such a minor event, leads to a randomized population in the future.

Let's say you don't even bump into someone. Some animals eat your corpse, and a couple that otherwise would not have made it through a harsh winter now do... It takes longer, but slight changes to the animal population will cross paths with people, thus affecting the human populations.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Barney
Ok, then what would you suggest is the course of action that affects the future the least.
Barney
Barney
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Accept that you'll inevitably change stuff, and try to live the best life you can.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@WaterPhoenix
From a scientific point of view, and without taking any science fiction as gospel, what is a "timeline"?
Crocodile
Crocodile
-->
@WaterPhoenix
If you kill yourself, you've never time traveled to the past in the first place. As you killed yourself before.

So, you once you kill yourself you get erased from existence. So, your parents will never give birth to you. This could cause more tragedies.

As for me, I would try to find a way to get back
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@WaterPhoenix
The version of time travel I believe is most likely is the self-consistent version. In other words, you can't alter the past because anything you do after traveling to the past has already happened. In other words, an attempt to kill Hitler as a child would always fail, because we already know that Hitler was not killed as a child. In this scenario, killing your past self would be impossible, and killing the version of yourself that was "teleported to the past" would not be necessary to prevent paradox or changing the past.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@K_Michael
That doesn't seem very likely, if I were to kill hitler as a child, what I know doesn't matter. The events that came from hitler would cease to exist, so us remembering hitler as a fascist dictator would not happen.
BearMan
Debates: 16
BearMan
If you kill yourself, you will be teleported back to the time in which you were born, or you teleported to the past. You will be stuck in a never ending loop, because it is destiny, that you will teleport to the past.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@BearMan
You'll never reach the truth!
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@WaterPhoenix
There is only one timeline. Time travel doesn't actually change the past, because the very first time through, is the only time. Even if you travel through time with the intention of killing Hitler, you have already failed.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@K_Michael
One theory, I guess.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@WaterPhoenix
It's the one that makes the most sense to me.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@K_Michael
Makes more sense to posit that time travel to the past (and therefore also travel at faster than the speed of causality) is impossible, which given what we know about entropy and causality seems the most likely. Any reason to suppose that this is not the case?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Time travel works on the assumption that time is a tangible medium that can be travelled through either backwards or forwards. 

I work on the assumption that time is simply the possibility that allows events to have duration.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
That is a more reasonable proposition since we haven't seen any evidence of backward causality in the real world, but we are presuming that time travel has occurred in this scenario as a matter of fact, and must expostulate from that information.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
I think that more modern one's hairdo and facial hair/piercings etc are, the harder time they'll have blending in the past. Whereas the more generic or flexible and 'unique but not in an irreversible way' one's things like that are the more they can blend in.

What I would do would depend (and this is not a joke) on how nearby I turn up to a hairdresser, salon, shop with a mask in it or anything of the sort. I would need to move Fast and have in-hand something valuable enough to them that they'd help me without telling a soul what they'd seen. The past was also unforgiving to weirdos far more than it is now, so I'd have to look extra normal vs whatever look I have now.

If I don't turn up near to one, I will have also brought with me a weapon that I was ready to toss aside fast and if need be I'd use force and speed to make my way undetected around the place. Law enforcement then was less developed than it is now and they'd never ever let a time traveler live in most places, you'd be hung as a witch/warlock/demon etc. even worse you could be burnt alive or tortured for information.

I'd need to get into a very quiet area and would rub dirt on myself and rip my clothes and then rub dirt on them to appear homeless (homeslessness was very common in older times and I'm assuming we're not going to 'recent past'). I'd blend in at first and endure any level of headache and hunger, my knowledge from the present time is going to make me have such a huge edge over the other homeless people and even normal citizens that I can begin parlour tricks and con my way like a gypsy towards some level of basic income purely from how amazing I will seem. I will need to stay lowkey and if possible make a deal with a circus to be an act there. It will be a relatively fun life, I may even reproduce with someone and who knows? Maybe my own descendant was with me in my original timeline and maybe I even met them and just never knew.

Continuing from the first scenario, if I was able to alter my appearance into something normal and respectable and assuming I was (hopefully) in an English-speaking area or somewhere that at least wouldn't treat a foreigner too hostile if they spoke English or didnt speak their language brilliantly (this doesn't mean I don't, it's just to avoid doxxing I am assuming I speak only English IRL), then I'd make my way through somehow. I'd meet someone, try hard to mimic their accents. Back then it was far more normal for strangers to interact, there weren't smartphones or much migration overall so them seeing someone they don't recognise at all would in itself perk their interest. I'd pace myself well, meet the right people worth trusting and tell them a version of the truth that I'd feel suited them without making them feel I was a demon or some shit like that. Then, I'd help them a lot with my futuristic knowledge of how to clean things, build machines, use tools and whatever else and maybe even tutor them or younger relatives of theirs to help them with their grades as I'd have futuristic knowledge and what's hard math and science to them would surely be easy to me, so I'd stick to those topics. Assuming that all goes well, eventually I'd meet the right people in the science department and reveal some version of the truth to them. If there was no such option available, I'd live a quiet life, thank the people I befriended for keeping my secret and just make do.

Both scenarios end similar, it's about survival to me.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
..."Physicists reverse time".. LINK

Only in a virtual  simulation, not reality

...."It is very complex and complicated to send waves on a pond back" once they've been created, Vinokur said, "but we saw that this was possible in the quantum world, in a very simple case." In other words, it was possible when they used the control given to them by the quantum computer to undo time's effect.

The above reminds me of trying to put the  genie back in the bottle. 

....After running the program, the system went back to its original state 85 percent of the time. However, when a third qubit was introduced, the experiment succeeded only 50 percent of the time. The researchers said the complexity of the system likely increased too much with the third qubit, making it harder for the quantum computer to maintain control over all aspects of the system. Without that control, entropy can't be held in check, and the time reversal is therefore imperfect. Still, they're aiming for bigger systems and bigger quantum computers for their next steps, Vinokur told Live Science."...

There exist many kinds/varieties of qbits.... LINK....

Symmetry of parity is broken with Weak Nuclear Forces 

...."As far as we know, the weak nuclear force and the weak nuclear force alone violates the symmetry of parity."....

Carge parity violation?...LINK...

..."CP violation was first observed in 1964 at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in the US in particles called neutral K mesons, which contain a strange quark."...

..."The LHCb experiment is currently undergoing an upgrade during the LHC’s two-year shutdown. Gershon adds that when it turns on in 2021 then the experiment will be able to record data at a rate 10 times greater than previously possible, allowing physicists to collect as much data in one year then they have in total to date. “This will make our measurements more precise to allow us to study additional processes,” adds Gershon. “For example, we will be able to measure the amount of CP violation in the mixing process when D0 mesons flip into their antiparticle, and vice versa, which has excellent sensitivity to physics beyond the Standard Model.”...

7 days later

skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@WaterPhoenix
wait so my actions would have no consequences?