Should We Wear Masks?

Author: BearMan

Total: 83
BearMan
Debates: 16
BearMan
I think we should. Hopefully we will have a nice discussion.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@BearMan
Mask or no mask, you wont be getting any bear hugs from me. :--)

Does a bear go mask in the woods?

Obviously USA needs to get its bear-ings regarding covid19.

Just give me the bear facts.

This covid19 has sure been a bear of a problem with many un-bear-able side issues.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@BearMan
if you are sick, any kind of symptom, yes.  in inclosed spaces, very tight quarters, probably, though that's really a personal choice.  They offer some protection from sick people who are sneezing and coughing, but I'm not convinced that talking sheds enough virus to actually cause illness in someone else.

if someone has antibodies do they need to wear a mask?  I mean that's what vaccines do, they cause an immune response that the body creates antibodies for.  If antibodies equals immunity then why would that person need a mask?

also i've seen more studies and show asymptomatic people are very unlikely to spread covid, very low chance.  Nothing is 100%, including masks.

What happens if the mask mandates expire or are discontinued?  Some states it's illegal to wear masks if you can imagine that.  No exception to medical ones unless it's for a short period of time AND you have a doctors note.  You can only protect yourself when the government says you can.  Can you see the irony in that?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
..if you are sick, any kind of symptom, yes."...

Dont yo mean 'infected'?  You may not know that your infected, ergo, wear the mask irrespective of what you may not know.

Its real simple, people need to be responsible citiens and wear the masks, social distancing and stop sniffing orange bad-mans butt and his side kick orange-parrot cause idiots following idiots is idiotic.

Being smart is being responsible. Being dumb is being irresponsiible.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ebuc
a large % of the population is irresponsible right?  obesity?  #1 preventable disease?

just because a person is infected (asymptomatic) it doesn't mean they are shedding enough of the virus that the viral load is sufficient to cause another person to become sick.  If that was the case then masks would be useless as they lead, don't fit correctly, aren't made of a material that can adequately filter/block a virus.  If someone wants to wear a mask they should be able to do so and the state laws that prevent that should be rescinded, but yet, not one whisper of that happening, why do you think that is?
people who have underlying conditions or are otherwise immunocompromised, high risk should be encouraged to wear a mask, however I don't see a difference between them refusing to and refusing cancer treatment or any other.
the best defense is distance, so regardless if someone is wearing a mask or not, you can maintain your distance regardless of their personal choice.
we've always had the choice to not wear a mask when sick, even during flu season.  It's funny how we didn't/don't care about those lives but now it's different.  What is the death rate cutoff for masks anyway?  If covid numbers drop to flu levels or less does that mean no more masks?  what and where are these lines exactally?

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
.."just because a person is infected (asymptomatic) it doesn't mean they are shedding enough of the virus that the viral load is sufficient to cause another person to become sick."..

Doesnt mean they arent.  Get real dude. Wear the mask, social distancing etc and stop following idiot orange-bad man and his side kick orange-parrot.

Finally we the orange-bad-man is beginnging to wear a mask in public, long after Ford motor company recommended he do so when touring their factory where every body else does.

God we need the people to get smart in USA and dump Don Trumpet in the nearest toilet where he crawled out of. This is a minimal brainer.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ebuc
I never wanted strangers close to me, so social distancing I'm all for and was long before covid 19 lol

if you look at the graphics showing the droplets from talking for instance it's only about 3 feet, about an arms length away.  obviously the larger the droplet the faster it falls which really just leaves the very small/micro sized.  Again the problem is we don't know how much it takes to actually infect someone.  I think wearing a mask is a fine precaution but how effective they are no one really seems to know.

Given everything talked about I certainly understand why people are confused and skeptical.  Being aggressive and authoritarian towards them doesn't help at all, in fact it turns them and other away.  Are you convinced and motivated to do something by someone calling you stupid, ignorant, irresponsible etc?

do you think helping people understand works better with kindness rather than trying to make them understand with peer pressure and threats?

which method have you been seeing?  obvious answer is aggression and threats.  Do you not see a problem with that?  is that how society should be?  forced compliance?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
..."I never wanted strangers close to me, so social distancing I'm all for and was long before covid 19 lol ...

Social distancing is about friends and "strangers".  Please wear the mask, practice social distancing with all humans, and stop sniffing orange-bad-mans butt.

Being smart is not aggressive. You might want to try being smart, in regards to covid19. Simple not diffcult to grasp.  Unless you head is so far inside someones else butt you cannot see the light of intelligence.

Where I work I was first person to make a homemade mask weeks before it was being considered by others at my work place.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ebuc
it's funny you say it's not about being aggressive and yet your words show otherwise, look in the mirror more.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
..."it's funny you say it's not about being aggressive and yet your words show otherwise, look in the mirror more."..

I stated "being smart is not aggressive".   You and others are being aggressively dumb. Go figure, and you will come to same conclusion in those regards, unless your ego is creating mental blockages to truth. Aka denial of truth
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ebuc
lol you just don't get it, oh well, you aren't self aware enough to understand how you talk to people and come across, the irony is rich, how your ego controls you but you can't see it.  you don't understand freedom either it seems, freedom must also include the right to make bad or unpopular choices.  I'm not an authoritarian and I lean libertarian in many ways, which is why you can't understand my point of view.  Well just have to disagree I guess.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
.."how your ego controls you but you can't see it.  you don't understand freedom either it seems, freedom must also include the right to make bad or unpopular choices...

Who isnt controled by their ego? I dont mind anyone's ego controling  them ---including myself--- as long as it follows truth and smarts.

You have dont appear to have learned either of these.  Yes, all humans have the right to remain ignorant and dumb if they so choose.  Who do so?

Cause their ego is being problematic, is one reason. You dont appear to grasp the simple.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
meh sure
Crocodile
Debates: 22
Crocodile
The mask debate can be calmed by the "Urine Test"

8 days later

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Crocodile
The pee test does not apply to farts { methane gas }.
Crocodile
Crocodile
-->
@ebuc
well i  mean it's a pee test
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Crocodile
so wear underwear and pants on your head then, far more material than most homemade masks,  look up the force a sneeze has, how fast the particles move, it's kind of amazing if you never looked it up.  particle size is a huge factor as well.
Crocodile
Crocodile
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
so why wouldn't u wear a mask? what is a reason not to?
even if it only stops covid sometimes, you should still wear it.

do you not wear a seatbelt because they only sometimes protect you from getting injured in a car crash?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Crocodile
so why wouldn't u wear a mask? what is a reason not to?
even if it only stops covid sometimes, you should still wear it.
there is no reason that I have read yet to wear one if no one is within 6 feet of me,  there is no reason to wear one if the cashier is behind plexiglass.   As the studies and examples have shown, talking only goes out to around 3 feet (arm length).  If I'm not talking, breathing through my nose why would I need one to protect someone else?  In short, it's situational, there are reasons not to and times you probably should.  Then there's all the inconsistency and plain old hypocrisy about it that I understand the sides people are on.  Amazing only "certain" groups of people need to wear mask, that and the black exception.

from a pragmatic point you should have one with you, if you encounter someone sneezing and or coughing I'd wear one, but that would apply during flu season as well.

Crocodile
Crocodile
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts

there is no reason that I have read yet to wear one if no one is within 6 feet of me,  there is no reason to wear one if the cashier is behind plexiglass.   As the studies and examples have shown, talking only goes out to around 3 feet (arm length).  If I'm not talking, breathing through my nose why would I need one to protect someone else?  In short, it's situational, there are reasons not to and times you probably should.  Then there's all the inconsistency and plain old hypocrisy about it that I understand the sides people are on.  Amazing only "certain" groups of people need to wear mask, that and the black exception.

from a pragmatic point you should have one with you, if you encounter someone sneezing and or coughing I'd wear one, but that would apply during flu season as well.

ohhh, i completely agree with you. there is no reason to wear one if you're maintaing correct social distancing.

i'm stupid lol sorry

i thought you were a complete anti masker.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Crocodile
nope not anti masker, however I don't think people should be threatened to wear them either.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
i think yes
sadolite
sadolite
After exhaustive research into how masks are made and how they work or don't work,  what they can and cant filter the dangers of wearing masks for prolonged periods day in and day out,  My answer is a resounding no. The negatives of wearing them far out weigh any positive. Masks being worn to prevent a virus that in no way is designed to filter a virus is nothing more than a placebo for the mind. It protects you if you think it does. Wear one if you want, you cant afford to wear the ones that actually do filter corona virus. Well maybe some of you can.   Oh and please spare me your links to the CDC saying they work. My information comes strait from the horses mouth. Mask manufactures. NOT ONE OF THEM ENDORSES THE CDC's  CLAIMS ABOUT WEARING MASKS AND THEIR EFFECTIVENESS other than those masks specifically designed to filter viruses which you cant really buy without a good connection.

BearMan
BearMan
-->
@sadolite
What are the cons? The price? The mask actually does help if you have asked any LICENSED HEALTH PROFESSIONAL, instead looking exhaustively at anti-masker forums.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Kakuzu practised for the Covid-19 era for most of his life.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@BearMan
What are the cons?

cloth masks and to a lesser extent, surgical masks house the bacteria from your mouth and in a nice warm, moist environment grow rather well, basic science really.  Washing them breaks down the fibers lessing any blocking ability they might have.  Using one a day (throwing them out at the end of the day) would make far more logical sense, but that's not what is being promoted.  Social distancing > all  Masks give people a false sense of security.  so there are cons, those are just a couple.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@BearMan
I didn't look at anti mask forums, I looked at mask manufacture websites. Ant- mask forums just like pro mask forums are nothing but disinformation propaganda, Pseudoscience  science BS.

BearMan
BearMan
-->
@sadolite
Show me one mask manufacturer website that doesn't support their own product.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@BearMan
That isn't what I said. I said there isn't a single mask manufacturer that endorses the claim that masks that don't filter covid 19 are effective at stopping the spread of covid 19.

86 days later

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@BearMan
Wear a mask, see if I care. What's this "WE" shit in the OP. It should be should "YOU" wear a mask. Don't include me in your fears of dying of a disease or anything else for that matter. If "YOU" are afraid lock yourself in a box and throw away the key.