Anime Thread

Author: WaterPhoenix

Total: 53
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
Based off of Supa's Naruto thread. We should have a general anime thread discussing which anime we like most.

Konosuba, Rascal does not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, Toradora, Gabriel Dropout( if you're looking for a quick watch), That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime, and Machikado Mazoku.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06

Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
I used to watch a lot of Pokemon.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
You know, there is an anime clip that nothing else can compare to. It is the best.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
I recently recommended "Rising of the Shield Hero" to someone on DART, can't remember who for sure though I think it was RM... but at the time that I made that recommendation I had only gotten to a certain part of the series and when I later realized more episodes had come out I rewatched it and realized it was a great show right up to the point I had happened to reach then it started getting, uh... less good. At least in my opinion.

So whoever I recommended that to if you watched it and thought "wow that was great up to a certain point then suddenly became less good"... yes. Yes I know. I didn't know that at the time and I would have mentioned it if I did.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
As I presently don't have a MAL account, my (updated fairly regularly) list can be reviewed here:

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Swagnarok
I saw Fate Stay Night on your list but not Fate Zero.

I watched both and Fate Zero was an order of magnitude superior. I probably would never have watched FSN to the end if not for FZ being so great (having seen FZ first despite it being a prequel I had a measure of interest in the series that I likely would not have had if I had started with FSN).
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
You didn't like Shield Hero? For me, it was one of the better isekai's I've watched. In particular, I really enjoyed the world building and magic system. When was the point where it started to get less good? Oh and by the way Raphtalia is 10 years old mentally so think about that for a second.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Swagnarok
yoooooo, you watched chuunibyo? what'd you think of it?
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@WaterPhoenix
It's worth a watch, assuming you're not completely burnt out on the "high school rom-com" premise. S1 had a catchy opening and the cast was generally distinctive. Yuuta stood up for himself and wasn't afraid to tell Rikka to bugger off, which to me was a nice change from the typical pushover MC. Like many anime it's not very long but it at least had two seasons, a movie and an abnormally large volume of OVA material so it outperformed much of its competition.

(Also, I was surprised after the fact by how much of the cast was AO. The manga must've been comparably lonely.)
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Swagnarok
I loved it. I mean, I guess the part how Yuuta thinks touching frickin pinkies is a considerable leap in his relationship is kinda stupid, but the kiss is extremely satisfying once you finally get to it.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@WaterPhoenix
You didn't like Shield Hero?
Not what I said exactly. In fact I would still label it as "worth watching" just not "great". When I first watched it the episodes stopped at the part where the pope first attacked them, they hadn't even had any fight with the pope yet. I had to stop at that point for several months waiting for the rest to come out and at that point it was definitely at the top of my list. Then when the rest of the season came out I watched again from the start and in my opinion it starts to be a lot less good after the pope fight. Not bad necessarily, just less good.

I just kinda felt like the queen coming in and doing away with "Trash" and all the heroes suddenly deciding to start acting cool with our shield bro was too sudden and not all that well executed from a writing point of view.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Hmmm well I guess that one episode where they just farm on an island isn't tip top entertainment but aren't they okay with naofumi because they found out that the redhead melty's sister or whatever was like the actual villain? I didn't really get the queen thing not gonna lie.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@WaterPhoenix
the redhead melty's sister
You mean Whore? Since that is her actual name now.

hehehe, that was a good part. I liked that

But yeah you are right that is the reason they use  for justifying Fuckboy and co. suddenly acting less fuckboyish, and it makes sense to an extent especially in Ren's case (being as Ren was the least fuckboyish of them all) but just having the queen come in and clean house the way she did... it felt really deus ex machina and I feel like the writers could have handled it better. There was a lot of potential for those episodes immediately following the Queen and Naofumi meeting. Like, she may have suspected from her spies that he was not necissarily as bad as everyone thought he was but why have trust him so completely so quickly just based on that? The theme of the show up to that point had been that Naofumi had to work harder for everyone's trust.

Then after the trial itself all the people of the land just went along with all the Queens reforms despite the show previously making a huge deal about how the Three Hero's Church being around for so long and having such a grip on the people was a major part of why there were so many problems in the first place. I mean, imagine that the actual devil was summoned to the modern world, the devil that people had been indoctrinated for hundreds of years to hate and fear, then some bitch accuses the devil of raping her but fails a lie detector test. Is that really going to make people suddenly cool with the devil now? Oh, then the president decrees that the devil is now to be worshiped equally with god and Jesus (i.e. the Queens's crackdown on the Three Hero's church and replacing them as the official religion). Really think that would fly in the real world? But in this world it did, just because the writers felt they needed to wrap up that story line and move on.

Like I said still a good show, but it stopped being a great show at that point.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
You're explanation makes sennse but eh. I thought it was pretty good anyways, as long as ms. whore got her punishment I didn't really care lmao.
Crocodile
Debates: 22
Crocodile
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

70 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
@WaterPhoenix
@WaterPhoenix
Toradora
I liked the light novel.
And like a couple of AMVs with it, don't recall actively watching the anime though.

@Discipulus_Didicit
"Rising of the Shield Hero"

Though I 'read them a fair bit, and 'have liked some of them.
There's 'something I can't put my finger on for the swathe of medieval fantasy that bothers me in manga/fantasy.
Whether it's alternate worlds bothering me for the. . arbitrary nature of it, the 'wish fulfillment or how terrifying I find the thought of someone being plucked from their reality.
The sudden shift in what defines reality, or a persons place in power, the odd way it happens bothers me.

Often for fantasy that 'doesn't have the alternate world schtick, I'm not sure.
'Something about the style I dislike.
The characters acting/value/importance, I'm not sure.

Often they feel, 'gimmicky somehow. I really don't know what it is.
Ah well, still I enjoy some anime.

@Topic
Baccano!
Mobile Suit Gundam, the 1981 trilogy of movies.
Safalcon7
Safalcon7
I just started watching anime movies. Different world

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Lemming

I have heard good things about this one. What did you like about it specifically? Any idea where I could find it online today?
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I have heard good things about this one. What did you like about it specifically? Any idea where I could find it online today?
I do not.
When I was High School, I watched some anime online, but eventually my interest petered off a fair bit.
I 'did watch Baccano! on some site, but that was 3-4 years ago, and I no longer recall the sites name.
Ended up buying the DVDs for Baccano! and Mobile Suit Gundam, though it was a gamble for the space flick, as I hadn't actually watched that one online yet.

I suppose I liked the. . Atmosphere, the setting of Baccano!, had interesting characters. Though the light novels continue on for a time more, I'm actually rather satisfied with the anime ending where it did. Kept it from feeling like 'too much I suppose. Instead the anime dealt with some specific time frames, and wrapped up nicely, even though the story continues on.
Felt suspenseful, some mystery, some anticipation and action, bit of comedy.
Not saying it's the best, but I liked it enough to buy it.

Mobile Suit Gundam. . . It's the appeal of original star wars in a way, I'd say. The DVDs I bought of that ended up being subtitle only versions, but I still enjoyed it.
I suppose I enjoyed how it was an epic and fantastical plot, but even with giant robots, it still felt like they were going for a realism aspect in it.
Was 'some bleakness in the show, but not so much that I felt desensitized and uncaring.
Black Lagoon felt that way after a bit, but perhaps that's due to it being one of the earlier amines I watched.
. . .
I'd say again it was the realism aspect of Mobile Suit Gundam, the epic fantastical plot, interesting characters and scenes.

I've never watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, sounds 'too depressing, and 'too much a bent towards realism in some events and circumstance.
If it was the more lighthearted looking moments more, and not 'such crushing sounding distress and events, I might watch it. But it sounds too messed up for me at the moment.
Has nice music though,

91 days later

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is legit the best anime I've watched
Vader
Vader
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Where is the Shonen. Smh all Slice of Life/Rom Com's.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Vader
i dont find many shounen enjoyable but ya mustang from fmab is probably one of the coolest anime characters of all time.
Vader
Vader
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Slice of Life becomes dry quickly. It relies too heavily on the characters. Shonen relies on a perfect mix of the two. I like RDDOBGS because of it's uniqueness despite it being SoL and it's interesting character. Toradora, RaG, are mid. Surer RaG has waifus but my god for every good waifu there's 2 shit characters
Vader
Vader
-->
@WaterPhoenix
It's not hard to make a popular SoL

The formula is such

1. Make it only 10 episodes
2. Beach scene
3. Kiss scene
4. Funny
5. Waifu

The only SoL's that work are the ones that make it unique, hence why RDNDOBGS is a great anime
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Vader
whats RaG. and well i guess sol is pretty much basically just the characters and it's true there's about zero plot in it but i still enjoy it very much. looking at most of the mainstream shounens these days i think all of their plots take forever to start going, it really feels like just something happens, oh fight scene. then another thing happens, oh fight scene. maybe my tastes are weird but i like very fast moving plots that engage the viewer by the first episode or two cause if it doesn't i'll probably just stop watching at that point lol
Vader
Vader
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Rent a Girlfriend. Could be a style element. I feel like Fire Force has a fast moving plot
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Vader
haven't watched fire force i'll check it out sometime

7 days later

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@WaterPhoenix
What do you guys think of Beach, I know it's "Shonen biggie" but I think its still pretty underrated, especially in themes
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Theweakeredge
I watched a season or so, I don't think it's underrated it's extremely popular. i thought it was pretty decent i might pick it up again sometime.