8 Billion Need Fresh Water

Author: ebuc

Total: 22
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
8 Billion People Need Food { Fish? >< Squid }

...."But an NBC News investigation, based on new satellite data, has revealed what marine researchers now say is a more likely explanation: China is sending a previously invisible armada of industrial boats to illegally fish in North Korean waters, violently displacing smaller North Korean boats and spearheading a decline in once-abundant squid stocks of more than 70 percent"...

....“This is the largest known case of illegal fishing perpetrated by a single industrial fleet operating in another nation’s waters,” said Jaeyoon Park, a data scientist from Global Fishing Watch, a global ocean conservation nonprofit group co-founded by Google, based in Washington. The group specializes in artificial intelligence and satellites that, along with an international team of academic researchers, discovered the Chinese fleet."....

..."OFF THE COAST OF SOUTH KOREA — The battered wooden “ghost boats” drift through the Sea of Japan for months, their only cargo the corpses of starved North Korean fishermen whose bodies have been reduced to skeletons. Last year more than 150 of these macabre vessels washed ashore in Japan, and there have been more than 500 in the past five years."...

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
8 billion?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ebuc
China is becoming even more of a problem.  My guess is they will be even worse if they think Biden will be elected.  Given the past administrations spineless attitude towards China it's no wonder why they feel unopposed to build islands, fish whatever what waters they want etc.  
Say what you will but president Trump has made the U.S. less dependant on China compared to any other president.  The new drug pricing etc will also help.

So what's the solution?  War?  Sanctions like on N. Korea, Iran etc?  How far is anyone willing to push the issue?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
............."How far is anyone willing to push the issue?"....

I dunno but it appears to me, that, any pushing of China powerhouse is a temporary policy ploy, for a hopeful, and only temporary, political gain.

Lets see if UN does anything with the over fishing issue in Korea waters and whether it is truly a long term fixing  move.

...."The Yellow River—northern China’s main river—has dried up every year since 1985.35 With aquifers and rivers suffering from overuse, lakes are also being affected. Hebei has already lost 969 of its 1,052 lakes.36 Yet with all of northern China’s water resources being tapped, water shortages still cost the Chinese economy a lot of money. According to one report, water shortages are responsible for direct economic losses of $35 billion annually, about 2.5 times the average annual losses due to floods.37

...Besides the disparity in water supply between the north and south, China’s water crisis has a second factor: pollution. Even in water-rich areas of China, pollution is decreasing the supply of clean, usable water.

...According to estimates, a full 70 percent of China’s rivers and lakes are currently contaminated, half of China’s cities have groundwater that is significantly polluted, and one-third of China’s landmass is affected by acid rain.38,39,40 Today, most of the Yellow River is unfit even for swimming, and experts have called the Yangtze “cancerous.”41"....

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ebuc
Lets see if UN does anything with the over fishing issue in Korea waters and whether it is truly a long term fixing  move.
tbh I forgot the UN even existed......I don't have much confidence.

can't imagine how long or if it's even possible for China to clean up it's environment, so horrible for the people.  They are and have been a huge world polluter.  I'm just not seeing any kind of path to fixes these situations.  The Chinese government would need to be overthrown and some form of democratic government installed.  But that's highly doubtful that could ever happen unfortunately.  

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
..."tbh I forgot the UN even existed......I don't have much confidence."...

And this attitude only leads to the demise of humanity.

One-world-nation or humanity ends on Earth.  500 - to 1000 years is my intuitive/speculative guesstimate.

Will it be a slow death from many various forms of pollution, that will be spurred on even faster by erratic climate  change aka Global Warming and Greenhouse effect,

or will it be somewhat quicker annihilation by nuclear detonation of hydrogen bombs, spurred on by smaller nuclear arms accidents or intentional acts of desperation from the likes of N. Korea, Pakistan, India, France orange-bad-man and orange-bad-associates?

I dont have much confidence in humanity using mind of brain/brawn when it comes to survival of our species.

Empathy over greed, etc.  :--( 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ebuc
I dont have much confidence in humanity using mind of brain/brawn when it comes to survival of our species.
agreed but not surprising.  there are clear microcosms right now with the rioters and looters, other criminals, cartels, gangs etc  They don't care and can't even fathom the future or humanity.  Perhaps it's getting better and I'm not aware of it,  if that's true I'm ok with being wrong :)

232 days later

ebuc
ebuc
....."6 billion peoples will suffer from clean water scarcity by 2050.

This is the result of increasing demand for water, reduction of water resources, and increasing pollution of water, driven by dramatic population and economic growth. It is suggested that this number may be an underestimation, and scarcity of clean water by 2050 may be worse as the effects of the three drivers of water scarcity, as well as of unequal growth, accessibility and needs, are underrated.

....While the report promotes the spontaneous adoption of nature-based-solutions within an unconstrained population and economic expansion, there is an urgent need to regulate demography and economy, while enforcing clear rules to limit pollution, preserve aquifers and save water, equally applying everywhere. The aim of this paper is to highlight the inter-linkage in between population and economic growth and water demand, resources and pollution, that ultimately drive water scarcity, and the relevance of these aspects in local, rather than global, perspective, with a view to stimulating debate.."

..."By 2025, an estimated 1.8 billion people will live in areas plagued by water scarcity, with two-thirds of the world’s population living in water-stressed regions."...

..."More than two billion people worldwide rely on wells for their water.

25-33% of Chinese do not have access to safe drinking water.
There will be about 1 billion more mouths to feed worldwide by 2025 and global agriculture alone will require another 1 trillion cubic meters of water per year (equal to the annual flow of 20 Niles or 100 Colorado Rivers).
By 2035, the world’s energy consumption will increase by 35 percent, which in turn will increase water use by 15 percent according to the International Energy Agency."...

139 days later

ebuc
ebuc
Lake Powell, 2nd largest reservoir in USA has fallen to lowest records ever.

24 days later

ebuc
ebuc
Dont want to keep loosing our soil in wash out rains?
Its called prairie  tall grasses { Big Blue Stem, Little Blue Stem, Indian Grass, Virginia Wild Rye, Switch Grass, etc. }.

..." The discovery of Glomalin in 1996 improved our understanding of soil affinity for carbon. Glomalin is the superglue that soil uses to attract and hold carbon. Because of glomalin, prairie soils are able to sequester large amounts of carbon which over time changes the soil into Mollisol, a soil type found only under prairie grasslands. Mollisol soil is extremely rich in organic matter and can extend to a depth of three feet.
Ironically and sadly, because they produce the best, deepest and richest soils, grasslands have been their own worst enemy as they have been rapidly converted to agriculture. '....

sadolite
sadolite
You can take me off the list, I have plenty of fresh water. I have a 15,000 gallon reservoir  in my back yard and pretty much unlimited supply that flows into my house that I pay for.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@sadolite
if only it actually was unlimited
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@drlebronski
if only it actually was unlimited

If most of Earths water comes from comets, then we just need to attract a few comets.   We need a tractor beam Scotty.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@ebuc
agreed sigma male ultra capitalist elon musk save working class like a hero and make tractor beam its not like he's trying to put advertisments in the sky rather than helping with anything.
drlebronski
drlebronski
jokes aside the water shortage really says something about todays crumbling capitalist society 

"corporations are able to dump waste in water reservoirs without consequences because they own the means of production, these corporations have lobbying power, and their ability to fund political entities plays an influential role in commoditizing the water industry. Through the exhaustive efforts of our capitalist system to commoditize a natural resource, what we end up with is water disenfranchisement.

Leaving a natural resource like water in the hands of the private sector makes it a commodity item vulnerable to the free market. Poor cities are most damaged by private utilities providers because without the resources to fund their services, companies are less inclined to provide them with the proper infrastructure and access to water. "

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@drlebronski
....Poor cities are most damaged by private utilities....

..." When the team compared the new SOFIA data with previous studies of comets, they found a surprising commonality. The ratio of regular to heavy water was not linked to the origin of the comets — whether they were from the Oort Cloud or the Kuiper Belt. Instead, it was related to how much water was released from ice grains in the comet’s coma compared to directly from the snowy surface. This could imply that all comets could have a heavy-to-regular water ratio similar to Earth’s oceans, and that they could have delivered a large fraction of water to Earth. "...

..." New research shows that approximately 3-9% periodic comets will form liquid water as they pass close to the Sun during the end stages of their lifetimes. The research is published in the journal Icarus. The research team included Dr Matthew Genge from Imperial College London and colleagues at the University of Pisa, and was led by Dr Martin Suttle from the Natural History Museum. "....

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@drlebronski
Leaving a natural resource like water in the hands of the private sector makes it a commodity item vulnerable to the free market. Poor cities are most damaged by private utilities providers because without the resources to fund their services, companies are less inclined to provide them with the proper infrastructure and access to water. "

Sounds like someone didn't pay their water bill.

Usually under crony capitalism (which for heavily regulated water it's always crony capitalism) the politician gets to set the price which then sets the quality.

And most politicians don't mind cutting the voter's water bill in half as long as the inevitable future problems don't pop up until after their time in office is over.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@drlebronski
It is unlimited, I can use as much as I can pay for. Oh and there are not 8 billion people.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@sadolite
you are so fucking braindead dude.

Oh and there are not 8 billion people.
im weally sowwy Ebuc shouwld have puwt exactwy 7.6 biwwion so sowwwy abouwt that.

It is unlimited, I can use as much as I can pay for
did you not read anything posted in this forum god damn dude im starting to think trumpeteers have 3 brain cells at max
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@drlebronski
Why do you think I support Trump and what the fuck does Trump have to do with anything? I am brain dead? How does that even figure into anything
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
You're perhaps of the age where you weren't taught to care, never needed to care, and where you don't need to care.

Me too....But I do care.

Kids are taught to care now, so that's how people will evolve and process data in the future.

Trump is a remnant of the past.

Unfortunately, the U.S  still has lots of them, remnants of the past that is.

949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@ebuc
Your #1 is a clear indicator that the world does not lack sufficient resources; it lacks efficient resource distribution, and that primarily due to greed.