is it racist to consider asians as smarter than white people?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 13
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
asians have bigger brains than white people. period. bottom line. they also have the stereotype of being studious and smart , but it's a stereotype for a reason. they have slightly higher IQs. is it racist to simply point out that asians tend to be smarter than white people? 
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
Supposing it's true, what's the point of pointing it out? That's the question that would be on people's minds. The fact that blacks have lower IQs on average is well-established scientifically. Then there's the nature/nurture debate about the whole thing. But at the end of the day, lets assume that it's all true, that blacks are, on average, naturally less intelligent and that the average asian is naturally smarter - What then? What is to be done with this information?

The policy implications are what is really at stake. It's about collective blame and responsibility. Say that blacks are inferior, then this justifies their inferior lots in life. It becomes "they deserve it" rather than "this is wrong". It is this line of reasoning that we must reject - That being naturally inferior means that you deserve to have a bad life. Even if it is true, it is still the right thing to do to implement social policies which provide the greatest good for the greatest number.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
Brain size means very little when it is slight deviations. Albert Einstein had a smaller than average brain.

What means more is the way you were raised. If from the time your brain was easily malleable you were constantly fed Mozart, forced to play piano and violin, and did nothing but study astrophysics while taking an IQ test every 2 months... you could potentially be the next Einstein. That is true of any race. It just happens with Asians more frequently.

You definitely could make the case that Asians are smarter on average, just as white people are smarter on average than black people. But I don't know why you should.

It isn't because of biology, and saying such statements is of no use to anyone. It simply fuels the egos of racists. Non-racists do not care and see no use in pointing it out.

To prove my point, take all high IQ people of all races together. What makes them high IQ? You will find a lot of similarities across all racial categories. Generally they are wealthier, have high education, play musical instruments, etc... 

So, perhaps the more productive conversation is, how can we increase wealth and education for all people?
Do that, and you will see all IQ rates rise to the point of each race matching the other. 

TL;DR: All you are doing by recounting racial IQ statistics is highlighting a wealth and educational disparity, not a biological one. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@MisterChris
Asian culture is very family-oriented with very strong work ethics and self-investment enforced with public shaming.

African culture just isn't near the same level, nor European culture for that matter.

I suppose IQ tests are an indicator of the more "fit" (in the Darwinian sense of the word) cultures, but I don't advocate the involuntary enforcement of cultural hegemony...
(as China does.)

Incentives would be okay though.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Greyparrot
Yup. Like I said, if we increase education and wealth, IQ rates will increase. How do we increase education and wealth? Well, good policy for one. But also, there needs to be a culture of work ethic and smart decision-making. Asians have that in abundance, we need to catch up. 

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@MisterChris
Well, Asians don't need incentives to behave...Asian...

You won't see many cultural Asians wearing saggy pants.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Greyparrot
I am not arguing that we should implement incentives to behave a certain way, I am simply saying that Asian culture is very good at producing results. And, maybe we would be better off if we took some of their values (family, work-ethic) and taught them in schools. 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@n8nrgmi
is it racist to simply point out that asians tend to be smarter than white people? 
No? It’s statistically true at least in the US because of the strong family culture and support compared to whites and blacks. Affirmative Action is systematic racism against Asians.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgmi
What specifically is an Asian?

Or more specifically which Asian sub-group are you singling out for consideration.

As Asia refers to  the largest continental land mass, and Asian refers to the diverse array of people that reside therein.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@n8nrgmi
nope, asian parents expect a lot from their kids
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
No. Is it discriminatory saying disabled people can do less than abled-body people?

OK it is a fact that asians are statistically smarter.
Username
Debates: 9
Username
If you believe it is caused by their biological/racial traits then yes. Otherwise it's just a fact.

47 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@n8nrgmi
Yes and no,
To me it sounds like it would fit a dictionary definition.
"a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"

Though I might still think such a claim to be based on faulty premise.
Plenty of good and bad preforming people intellectually and physically in most races, that I've ever heard of.
And even if true, I don't like the implication that treatment of 'people of lesser ability can be disregarded so easily.
What defense can we make against the Vulcans when we meet them, and they declare humans inferior to their logical minds and physical strength?

I also think a number of the users before me, make decent arguments about how one's environment effects a persons development. Society, personal habits/inclinations/hobbies, effort.

I understand why people might implement or pursue policies based on racism, but much like my view of morality, at times it just feels like arbitrary aesthetics.
What one happens to value. Be it function, art, tribal loyalty, fear of the other, and so on.

edit,
Simply believing that groups of people can possess biological markers, doesn't really fit the societally 'negative 'racist term though, I'd say.