Why Do Evangelicals Follow Trump?

Author: lady3keys

Total: 126
lady3keys
Debates: 0
lady3keys
Okay, I'm new.  I'm not just new to this forum, but to this entire website.  In fact, I haven't been on an online forum for over 10 years.  So bear with me. 

I'm not trying to be rude or combative; I just really want to know.  I've heard the abortion argument.  But that is more of a republican argument.  I'm not asking why religious evangelicals support republicans.  I want to know why religiously-moral people support Trump specifically.  He has led a very immoral life.  There are the numerous sex scandals, the Trump charity that was shut down because of fraud (and the money he had to repay to a real charity of the court's choosing), the Trump university fiasco, his tax evasion, his Obama birther-ism hoax, etc., just to name a VERY FEW.   He also nicknames people based on the characteristics they most wish they could change about themselves, such as their weight the shape of their face (horse-face), their age, whether or not they stutter or are mentally disabled, etc . . . 

I know I will probably be slammed for this post and this topic.  But be gentle.  I am VERY NEW.  I honestly just don't get why religiously-moral people like Trump.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@lady3keys
Separation of Church and state for one.

Secondly, people care more about the economy than the afterlife when voting for a president generally speaking.
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Greyparrot
Secondly, people care more about the economy than the afterlife when voting for a president generally speaking.
I was raised religious.  Nothing was more important than the afterlife.  If a man is immoral, you don't vote for him --- period.  I no longer believe myself, but my father is VERY religious.  He and I almost never speak.  But neither of us voted for trump.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@lady3keys
As I said generally speaking. Others will vote as their church leaders and peers suggest.
Castin
Castin
"St. Peter, why won't you let me in??"

"You cared more about the economy than the afterlife, my child."
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Greyparrot
Separation of Church and state for one.

Really?  Are you saying that evangelicals are setting aside their religious beliefs (or at least looking the other way) in order to support the state?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@lady3keys
There are plenty of religious people that believe in the New Testament saying "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's"

This phrase has become a widely quoted summary of the relationship between Christianity, secular government, and society. The original message, coming in response to a question of whether it was lawful for Jews to pay taxes to Caesar, gives rise to multiple possible interpretations about the circumstances under which it is desirable for Christians to submit to earthly authority.
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Greyparrot
There are plenty of religious people that believe in the New Testament saying "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's"
This phrase has become a widely quoted summary of the relationship between Christianity, secular government, and society. The original message, coming in response to a question of whether it was lawful for Jews to pay taxes to Caesar, gives rise to multiple possible interpretations about the circumstances under which it is desirable for Christians to submit to earthly authority.
I understand this reference but not the relevance.  Caesar in this example could be any republican or any democrat.  It therefore still doesn't help me understand why they wouldn't render unto a "different" Caesar.   The economy has been great under both republican and democratic leadership.  Do you mean that evangelical voters can only look back as far as the economy before COVID?   And this being the case, are willing to support an immoral president based solely on the pre-COVID economy?    BTW, I DO AGREE that many vote based on their peers and their church leadership.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@lady3keys
Plenty of evangelicals voted for Obama. None of them are probably going to hell for doing so.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
Evangelicals tend to side with Trump because he is a hell of a lot better than the alternative, not because he is a virtuous figure.
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Greyparrot
Plenty of evangelicals voted for Obama. None of them are probably going to hell for doing so.
Don't know if this is a joke or not; but I am not saying voting for Trump will send you to Hell.   I'm just asking why a religiously-moral person would pick an immoral candidate.  The pros would have to seriously outweigh the cons.   Also,  you didn't really answer my question about the different Caesar in your example.  But that's okay. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@lady3keys
All politicians are Caesars.
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@MisterChris
Evangelicals tend to side with Trump because he is a hell of a lot better than the alternative, not because he is a virtuous figure.
That makes a lot of sense.  But wouldn't you want to have another more "moral" republican choice?  And yet the leaders of the republican party wouldn't let a republican primary happen.   I don't understand this.  

But, you say he is a "hell of a lot better" based on what?    Are you saying Trump is better because any republican is better than a democrat?  That, at least, would explain a little.  Or are you saying you would vote for Trump, even if he was not a republican.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@lady3keys
Because the Democratic Party is against their religion. Donald Trump has done nothing to curb religion, Democrats actively had. The question you’re asking is should you support an immoral man who will protect religion or a moral man who won’t. The answer is clear.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
any republican is better than a democrat?

McCain and Romney sure as hell were not better.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@lady3keys
And yet the leaders of the republican party wouldn't let a republican primary happen.   I don't understand this.   
In a lot of states there were primaries. But elections are run by the states and their political parties. It’s not uncommon for primaries to be cancelled. Democrats did it in 2012 when Obama was the incumbent. It’s purely the choice of the state party. And it’s pretty clear that Donald Trump would overwhelmingly win anyways, so why waste resources? There were challengers to Trump like Bill Weld and Mark Sanford but they were ants and no one liked them hence why they didn’t win a single primary.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
This
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Greyparrot
All politicians are Caesars.
Yes!  That was my point, republican or democrat.  Therefore, why choose an immoral republican over a moral republican?  In the November election it does come down to republican vs. democrat.   So I understand general non-religious republicans.  I just don't understand evangelicals.   Republican or democrat,  religiously-moral people should care about corruption, unethical behavior,  fraud, sexual abuse, etc.,  ----- more than they care about the economy.
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Greyparrot
PLEASE!  McCain was one of the best politicians in the past 50 years!  I would vote for him over almost anyone!
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@lady3keys
The Dem party has openly anti-Christian and immoral policies (for example, abortion). I'm not surprised Christians continue to elect Trump over the alternative.

That said, there are probably some better Republican candidates that have lost out to him. But when I say "better" I mean from a purely "Christian ethics" standpoint...

So, why don't the evangelicals choose to support a different candidate?

Well, most aren't involved in the primaries. That would be the way to express distaste at the selection of Trump. So that's one reason.

Secondly, other candidates don't have the ability to win that Trump seems to have. His charisma is unique, and his appeal is wider than just the Christian base. Lot's of voters recognize this and are counting on it.

Lastly, because of the historic separation of church and state, I think most Christians view candidates through the lens of policy. They analyze whether a candidate's policies line up with the Bible... Not necessary their personal character. It may or may not be right, but that is what I think happens. 
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@ILikePie5
And it’s pretty clear that Donald Trump would overwhelmingly win anyways, so why waste resources?
I will admit, this is a very valid reason not to run a primary for the second term of an incumbent president.  Even though I hate to read the words "Trump" and "overwhelmingly win" in a sentence.   <grin>
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@lady3keys
 Therefore, why choose an immoral republican over a moral republican?

Because morals doesn't create jobs or protect you from Antifa riots. Policies do that. McCain and Romney didn't understand this, so they predictably lost big to a Democrat.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@lady3keys
PLEASE!  McCain was one of the best politicians in the past 50 years!  I would vote for him over almost anyone!
Yup the Hanoi Songbird
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@MisterChris
The Dem party has openly anti-Christian and immoral policies (for example, abortion). I'm not surprised Christians continue to elect Trump over the alternative.

Yes, I get that.  I mentioned it in my opening post.   But that is a republican stance, not really Trump's.   He adopted it when he ran for office.  So I understand why he might have won in 2016, but do they think that his abortion stance really outweighs all of the corruption;  especially when abortions will still happen, just not safely (unsanitary backrooms, trashcans at proms and even in their own homes).

Secondly, other candidates don't have the ability to win that Trump seems to have. His charisma is unique, and his appeal is wider than just the Christian base. Lot's of voters recognize this and are counting on it.
Wow, are you right on this one!!!  Trump understands the power of emotion-based repetition.  I just don't think the democrats can grasp this one simple concept.  They need MORE VOCAL COLOR and more repetition on the small things you want people to remember, not just big, meaningless slogans.   Although, I will have to admit, "Make America Great Again" was the greatest slogan ever.

Lastly, because of the historic separation of church and state, I think most Christians view candidates through the lens of policy. They analyze whether a candidate's policies line up with the Bible... Not necessary their personal character. It may or may not be right, but that is what I think happens. 
But his policy actions do not line up with the Bible (IMHO).  Only the things he publicly "says" line up (other than abortion, of course, which he rarely talks about).  But you make a good point.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTFUL RESPONSE!
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@ILikePie5
Yup the Hanoi Songbird

"A Fox News analyst was fired from the right-wing network in May 2018 after regurgitating a long-standing, long-debunked smear against Sen. John McCain (R-Arizona) and his experiences as a prisoner of war."

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@lady3keys
Lol he made propaganda videos for the NVA. He gave info to the NVA that killed Americans. He sealed all the Vietnam POW records forever. Sounds like a man who has something to hide.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@lady3keys
NP. A  thoughtful discussion is always pleasant 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@lady3keys
Because they are as deluded and cynical as he is....Simple.

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@lady3keys
I agree with you. As a Christian, I can't support someone who's been accused of sexual assault by dozens of women or who boasts on a live camera about groping women. Why do evangelicals support him? I think it's mostly because they think he's better than the alternative policy-wise. David French of The Dispatch and formerly of National Review has written some articles on why evangelicals support Trump (as well as some on why he doesn't). You can look those up if you want.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@SirAnonymous
Yoooo welcome back my man. How’ve u been?