Everyone's debating style

Author: seldiora

Total: 21
seldiora
Debates: 158
seldiora
here is a funny summarization of how I feel people would argue on a topic.

Example topic: Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels?

Oromagi: Just what is, "alternative energy"?

Ragnar: Based on these implications and ideas, let me show you how my side is winning...

Whiteflame: Given these exact statistics and trustworthy research sites, I have completely defeated my opponent in this topic.

RoyLatham: We must first analyze how the government looks upon the fossil fuels and alternative energy as a political policy...

Intelligence: Opp. BoP is not sufficient to prove his case.

Supadudz: there is a flaw in opponent's argument, here...

Me: argues the opposite side of what I believe in and loses

n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
-->
@seldiora
you seem to have a lot of insight into the debaters for a new account.... have you been around these debate sites for awhile? 
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@n8nrgmi
He is 9spaceking.
BearMan
Debates: 16
BearMan
What I don't like about this site is that people manipulate the resolution way too much, leaving no room for actual arguments. Sure, I have done it a few times, but those were distasteful and boring to write.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@BearMan
I thought the same way too tbh. That's how it was in Policy and it was annoying AF
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@seldiora
I think this is actual true. I do like to point out the flaws in my arguments when I did debate. Keen observations
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
RM: yes
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@BearMan
What I don't like about this site is that people manipulate the resolution way too much, leaving no room for actual arguments. Sure, I have done it a few times, but those were distasteful and boring to write.
Complain not, my friend. If you think your content is weak, how about change them or make them so it is not destructable even if the BoP is shifted?

simplybeourselves
Debates: 1
simplybeourselves
I'm, kind of, too verbose for my own good. If I want to win more then perhaps i ought to learn to be more concise. But, it's difficult, because I'd rather stay non-concise if becoming concise means leaving anything out because I want to be as absolutely thorough as possible. Thoroughness is paramount to me ... second only to authenticity (and I see honesty and non-sophistry as a subset of authenticity).

In any case, one can be very often right and an unskilled debater and one can be very often wrong and a skilled debater. Even in a debate my goal is never to win via sophistry* my goal is always to state what I think is true and do my best to explain it and if I win then that's a nice side effect of my honesty. As it happens, I am more likely to win through honesty than through sophistry anyways ... as honesty comes very natural to me but trying to win through sophistry would be like a honeybee trying to force itself to stop making honey.

*the point here is I am not somebody who tries to win no matter what. I try to win without any sort of dishonesty or sophistry but, luckily, I am more likely to win via honesty either. I am very very bad at dishonesty and sophistry—probably because I get so little practice  at it. And I'm not about to change. I live by my principles. Including my principle that consequences matter more than (other) principles.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@seldiora
I'm with Oromagi.

40 days later

seldiora
seldiora
Mall: You are not listening, you are not listening, tell me why I am FALLLSE, and why you are TRUEEE, WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE

Imabench: here's a different definition of fossil fuel.

Mikal: Predictions of energy use in the future....

Trent: Uses specific country knowledge under 3,500 characters and stacks sources together
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
The kritik that I want to write but probably don't: The world will end before alternative energy can be implemented on a substantial scale, Vote CON.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous: Why would I debate it when I can satirize it in a forum post?
seldiora
seldiora
9spaceking: Stacks a bunch of research and tries to prove, sometimes shooting himself in the foot
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@seldiora
Oromagi: Just what is, "alternative energy"?
I agree with your assessment of Oromagi, but, since I believe fossil fuel is a renewable energy [the earth just keeps making the stuff], if not alternative,  your proposed example would make an interesting debate.

31 days later

Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@seldiora
These were pretty funny
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@Sum1hugme
have some more here.

Undefeatable:

I. Invincibility
Alternative Energy cannot be shaken. I am winning from this point alone.

II. Research
Here is in-depth analysis of five different sources of why my stance is superior.

III. Flaws of Fuels
Opponent's stance is definitely imperfect and he cannot win because of these impacts.

Theweakeredge: Philosophically, we must consider the state of mankind, behavior, and analyze from there on, why the nature of alternative energy will not effectively replace fossil fuels.

Sum1hugme: Here are four neat little reasons why alternative energy is superior.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@seldiora
I don't really get mine, but those are pretty spot on
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@seldiora
Theweakeredge: Philosophically, we must consider the state of mankind, behavior, and analyze from there on, why the nature of alternative energy will not effectively replace fossil fuels.
To be fair - its kinda all I talk about, philosophy, though more logical structure and such, I'm still a green philosopher, and one of the profile names I was considering was: AspiringPhilosopher, but whatever. My point is that I'm still learning about philosophy. 
Username
Debates: 9
Username
RoyLatham. Haven't heard that name in a while. 
Username
Debates: 9
Username
Why did he post the n word on his own profile lmao