why should we improve our world due to climate change?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 41
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
think of all the benefits we'd get if we switched to clean, renewable energy.....

... but, what all this climate change talk is all a big hoax, and we create a better world for nothing??
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
I think you answered your own question
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
stupid better world.  what a dumb consolation.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgmi
Nuclear power is what I support to deal with climate change, but let the states decide how to tackle climate change.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@n8nrgmi
Localized climate change exists at any rate, and is disgusting, irritating, and annoying to deal with.
Even dangerous at times.

Whether a cities river being polluted, smog choking the city, cities and communities made of dump yards, or the Great Dust Bowl.
All of these seem reason enough to me.
And improving their condition, would go at least a ways 'toward the larger claims.
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Lemming
Localized climate change exists at any rate, and is disgusting, irritating, and annoying to deal with.
Even dangerous at times.

Whether a cities river being polluted, smog choking the city, cities and communities made of dump yards, or the Great Dust Bowl.
All of these seem reason enough to me.
And improving their condition, would go at least a ways 'toward the larger claims.
Local?  Yes, but rivers flow between states and cars and factories are everywhere.  We need a federally organized plan to make any progress.  In California alone, the 6 worst wildfires of all time have happened in the last couple of months.  We have yet another hurricane heading to the Gulf as we speak.  Three 500 year floods have come in rapid succession in the last year.  Climate change is not about the future.  It is NOW.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Man is way too opportunistic and adaptable to care about optimizing every square inch of earth for human life.

Which is a good thing, because optimizing the planet for human life is probably a terrible thing for the ecosystem. Humans already can't figure out if it's okay for one species to be saved at the expense of another. Usually they let anthropomorphism guide their hamfisted attempts at terraforming the planet, which is insanely dangerous for the future of the life on the planet.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Lemming
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Greyparrot
@lady3keys
@lady3keys
I don't disagree that humans effect on the environment and climate is pretty much everywhere, humans have populated much of the globe after all.
But to me 'global climate change is still in the future, because I have no faith in the nations to react to it 'together.
To me way of thinking, what matters about climate change, is all countries looking after their own local interests, and taking advantage of the global scene, if the disaster is bad enough to weaken the other nations.
But that's still a way away, if at all.

What do you think the best way to react would be?

@Greyparrot
Well, at least everything isn't all brown/yellow/orange hued in the part of Oregon anymore, at the moment anyway.
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Lemming
Well . . . I would start by reinstalling the United States into the Global Climate Change conversation.  You are right that politics will be a major problem.  But this is an "Earth" crisis, not a "some countries but not our country" crisis.  The carbon dioxide clogging up our atmosphere is above us all.  A few countries reducing emissions just won't cut it.  If we don't do something within the next few years, it will be irreversible.    The worst thing we can do is nothing.  Greta Thunberg (17 now) is up for the Nobel Peace Prize for addressing the UN and uniting nations to bring about real climate change -- not the USA of course.  Trump dislikes Greta.   He is also up for the Nobel Peace Prize. 

But Greta or no Greta, this is a problem WE ALL CAUSED and WE ALL NEED to fix it.  Only by working together can we hope to save the planet.  This isn't hyperbole.  This is simply very real.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@lady3keys
I suppose I'll agree, that it's a reasonable position to take before a crisis, and even during it, that it's something people should struggle against 'together, and not as a free for all.
It 'would be better if we were part of the Global Climate Change conversation, I think.
And better progress could be made if more politicians made environmentalism part of their platforms and actions.
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Lemming
And better progress could be made if more politicians made environmentalism part of their platforms and actions.
If only . . . . :)
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@lady3keys
Greta Thunberg (17 now) is up for the Nobel Peace Prize for addressing the UN and uniting nations to bring about real climate change -- not the USA of course.  Trump dislikes Greta.   He is also up for the Nobel Peace Prize.  
What does climate change have to do with peace? And I’d be more than happy to join a deal if every country had to achieve their goal by the same time. Not US by 2030 and China by 2050 - that just ships off our jobs to China
lady3keys
lady3keys
Greta Thunberg (17 now) is up for the Nobel Peace Prize for addressing the UN and uniting nations to bring about real climate change -- not the USA of course.  Trump dislikes Greta.   He is also up for the Nobel Peace Prize.  
What does climate change have to do with peace? And I’d be more than happy to join a deal if every country had to achieve their goal by the same time. Not US by 2030 and China by 2050 - that just ships off our jobs to China
There is no direct line between climate change and conflict.  That is why many think she didn't get the Prize last year.  But this year she has been nominated again.  She did get many nations to cooperate who hadn't come within a few feet of each other before.  But that is hardly the same thing as "peace", even between merely two nations, let alone multiple nations.

And I agree that the climate change rules and goals for the US should be commiserate with the other First World Nations.    The US should not allow China or any other nation to take advantage of us.  But it is the very politics of this goal that make many want to considerate it for a Nobel Peace Prize.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5

Greta hasn't said a single word about China who outputs 3 times the USA load of global CO2. And trending up.

Why should you get an award for being a coward in regard to China? Assuming China is the greatest single national threat to the future of the planet.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Greta hasn't said a single word about China who outputs 3 times they USA load of global CO2. And trending up.

Why should you get an award for being a coward in regards to China? Assuming China is the greatest single national threat to the future of the planet.
Shhh, you can’t criticize a child who doesn’t know anything about climate science!!
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
😂😂😂
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Something tells me China gives zero fucks for participation trophies from Norway.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Something tells me China gives zero fucks for participation trophies from Norway.
Trump is gonna be on China’s ass after he wins again
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Good.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
@ILikePie5
China has over 4 times the population of the U.S.A.....So per capita, only 3 times the CO2 output is much better in comparison.. 

And anyway,  who is going to produce all those cheap commodities that we all so greatly desire.

Good old China...Providing for the World.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@zedvictor4
China has over 4 times the population of the U.S.A.....So per capita, only 3 times the CO2 output is much better in comparison.. 

And anyway,  who is going to produce all those cheap commodities that we all so greatly desire.

Good old China...Providing for the World.
What does population have to do with this. Most of the Chinese population is poor in the first place. It would be easier to the CCP to do it in China if anything but no, they don’t. As for production you’re just proving my point we will suffer and China will prosper - glad to see you want to outsource jobs to China like Joe did for 47 years
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
Yah fuck the planet. Go team CHYNA!
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@n8nrgmi
how well is it working in Kommyfornia?

windmills keep the skies clean of birds......hydro generators kill and block fish to the point they need to build "ladders" for salmon.

if you are talking about nuclear energy, that is a viable alternative and imo the most logical.

rooftop gardening, plants etc in cities cool the area.  There are many, many non controversial things that could have been done for the past many decades and yet....here we are arguing these, what I call extreme, ideas.  Why not implement all the things people won't argue about first, once those are exhausted then move on if needed.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ILikePie5
If the U.S. cannot produce a commodity profitably then somewhere else is going to do it....Who's fault is that?...And credit where credit's due.

And statistics is statistics and the statistics I referred to are totally pertinent...The problem for you is, they are not statistics that you want to hear.

And of course you are fearful and a tad jealous of a rapidly expanding super-power  just across the pond.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@zedvictor4
If the U.S. cannot produce a commodity profitably then somewhere else is going to do it....Who's fault is that?...And credit where credit's due.

And statistics is statistics and the statistics I referred to are totally pertinent...The problem for you is, they are not statistics that you want to hear.

And of course you are fearful and a tad jealous of a rapidly expanding super-power  just across the pond.
If you want the nation to be destroyed then you’re more than welcome to defend that position. Destroying our nation while China continues to prosper is not the obligation of the President of the United States.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Team China's going, and there's F all we can do about it.

And Trumps posturing ain't going to worry them much.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ILikePie5
Who's destroying the nation though?

China's just capitalising on the U.S's  internal disorganisation and the over expectancy of the "American" people.

If you don't want cheap labour from south of the border, then who's going to do all the cheap and dirty manufacturing work that "Americans" just  aren't  interested in any more.

Same here in the U.K....Industries such as agricultural, hospitality, healthcare, food production. etc. etc. etc. Would have ground to a halt years ago if it wasn't for the efforts of hard working people from Eastern Europe, Asia, North Africa etc.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
And Trumps posturing ain't going to worry them much.

Greta's silence is probably purchased from CCP.

You know MSM won't expose Chyna. Sheeps follow the bleats.