Noah's ark makes no sense

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 55
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
Noah's ark makes no sense.  My contentions with Noah's ark are:

1) Noah's ark takes up less space than the titanic, yet holds 4x the passenger count.  The titanic was built by many people with great technology.  Noah was the sole builder of the ark and he did not have access to the same amount of technology.  He probably did not have enough time even in his long life to build the ark.

2) In the Titanic, all the passengers used the bathroom.  All the animals on the other hand, pooped on the floor.  Noah would have to pick up the poop of tens of thousands of animals.  He did not have enough time to get this done and he and his crew would have been overrun with poop picking up all on their own.

3) Noah and his crew would have to pick up the poop of tens of thousands of animals every single day, probably twice a day or so all in the dark.  Electricity was not invented back then, and there was no light getting into the ark except from maybe a window even though window were invented after the flood supposedly happened.

It is because of this that I'm now an atheist.

Thoughts on this?
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Couldn't one see it as allegory,
Or as a far more limited event, such as flooding in a particular region, and some guy oversees the construction of a boat, and puts some domesticated animals on it.

Though I'm more for the allegory interpretation, well that or myths/legends/folklore/story of a fictional event, or inspired by a real event.
Even just a large area of a region flooding 'without an ark, and people telling stories about it.
Or a family of fisherman surviving a regional flood.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
seems non-sequitur to me

• One ancient book makes some popular assertions about the nature and purpose of one ancient culture's God.
  • One story in that ancient book contains multiple assertions contrary to nature of the physical world.
    • Therefore, no human conception of God can be said to proven.
Seems like too great a leap.  I believe that George Washington was a real guy even though there's a lot of untruths about the guy told in a lot of literature.  Why should Genesis be the benchmark for evidence?  After all, the authors of Genesis never claimed that their story was true or that such stories should serve as proof positive.   I'm not sure I see why unscientific assertions in one very pre-scientific book have any influence on our determination of whether powerful, sentient beings guide our destiny.

There are many good reasons to argue that the existence of magical Gods is unproven.  I don't think finding fault with Genesis is one of them.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Well... The bible is basically a historical fiction series. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Intelligence_06
What's the difference between historical fiction, and history. When writers believe that they're merely making notes, or when writers are politically or otherwise biased?

Degrees I suppose. Though degrees do matter.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Intelligence_06
As of right now, I agree.
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@TheUnderdog

TheUnderdog,

Lest you forget, the following biblical axioms also have to be put into the Noah's ark equation:

First you have to start with Genesis 7:2, where Jesus, as our serial killer Yahweh God incarnate stated in the Old Testament: "Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate,”  Therefore the simple math states that 8 pairs of each kind of animal is to be loaded upon Noah’s Ark.   This is including 8 pairs of each of the 700 different DINOSAUR "kinds" that have walked the earth. Therefore, 700 X 8 pairs equal 5600 DINOSAURS, plus the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of those other "kinds" of animals X 8 pairs of each, are to find room upon the ark that is biblically stated in being only 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 40 feet high! ( converting cubics into feet in Genesis 6:15)

There are additional passages that state with specificity that ALL breathing life forms, birds, fish, insects, and of course, dinosaurs,  were to be put upon Noah's ark as well with the aforementioned animals, which is obviously true because these other life forms exist today, except the dinosaurs. The above biblical axioms are enough for you and others to chew on at this time, so why make Jesus'  Flood and Noah's Ark complicated even more?  LOL

Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@TheUnderdog
Really? It's because of the implausibility of this one myth that you're an atheist?

Does this story hold some special significance for you or something?
rosends
rosends
So creation ex nihilo makes perfect sense but somehow you draw the line at a boat?
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Lemming
What's the difference between historical fiction, and history. When writers believe that they're merely making notes, or when writers are politically or otherwise biased?

Degrees I suppose. Though degrees do matter.
In the case of Theism, historical fiction features a supernatural god at the center of most events, with some scattered cultural truths about the past thrown in.  History, though heavily biased of course, features actual events at the center of their stories, with some scattered cultural fiction about a supernatural god thrown in (one that sanctioned their wars and motivated their atrocities).
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@lady3keys
Well, how their religion is depicted and claimed to happen with history, 'is where theists would be biased I suppose.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@TheUnderdog

1) Noah's ark takes up less space than the titanic, yet holds 4x the passenger count.  The titanic was built by many people with great technology.  Noah was the sole builder of the ark and he did not have access to the same amount of technology.  He probably did not have enough time even in his long life to build the ark.

2) In the Titanic, all the passengers used the bathroom.  All the animals on the other hand, pooped on the floor.  Noah would have to pick up the poop of tens of thousands of animals.  He did not have enough time to get this done and he and his crew would have been overrun with poop picking up all on their own.

3) Noah and his crew would have to pick up the poop of tens of thousands of animals every single day, probably twice a day or so all in the dark.  Electricity was not invented back then, and there was no light getting into the ark except from maybe a window even though window were invented after the flood supposedly happened.

Thoughts on this?
Hi there TheUnderdog,

thanks for OP. 

I disagree with your view that Noah's Ark makes no sense.  Your contentions do not mean the story makes no sense - just that a literal understanding that Noah's Ark as a boat  compared with the Titanic seems hard to comprehend to the modern viewer.  And that I am not going to disagree with you. 

Yet, the story of Noah's Ark does make sense in the context. God made a world. The world stuck its fist up at God. God tolerated this for a while - and then when he could not anymore - he judged it.  And because he had made the world and he had made plans for it - he saved a remnant from its number of humans and animals etc and placed them into a boat.   The story in its context is one of judgment and grace. And that totally makes sense. 

I am afraid I do not understand what the connection between you not understanding the story of Noah's Ark and you being an atheist. That seems to be a large run hop and jump. That to me does not make sense. Noah's ark makes some sense - your jump to atheism from not comprehending it makes less sense. 

But thanks for your OP. 
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Lemming
ell, how their religion is depicted and claimed to happen with history, 'is where theists would be biased I suppose.
Yes.  But with history, as opposed to religion, there are more independent pieces of empirical evidence  --  at least to support the event itself, not so much each party's personal version of these same events.  :)
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@lady3keys
Well, in war and politics, some say history is written by the winners.
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Lemming
Well, in war and politics, some say history is written by the winners.
Right.  That was my point.  The empirical evidence exists for the event itself, not each party's version of how it went down.  I think we agree.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
The flood could easily be based upon an extreme weather event,  and the bloke and his much smaller boat perhaps rescued a few goats. Though like a lot of archaic, hand me down yarns, these stories get embellished and exaggerated and eventually attain a mythological status.

Sensible folk like you and I can understand such myths for what they are.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@zedvictor4
Not much a serious thought, but if there can be different types of intelligences, why shouldn't there be different types of sensibilities.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
If and why.....Yep,  there is  always the possibility....Though, Alternative Intelligence sources might just regard us as a somewhat illogical.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Castin
To me, it's evidence that God isin't real because how could this happen in an infallible bible?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@rosends
So creation ex nihilo makes perfect sense but somehow you draw the line at a boat?
Well stated.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheUnderdog
To me, it's evidence that God isin't real because how could this happen in an infallible bible?
There are thousands of religions. Many I will warrant you have not studied to the degree that you can dismiss them with the same casual flippancy as you are dismissive of the Yahweh. This story at best illuminates one possible god and at worst proves that one story about one god was likely apocryphal.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Tradesecret
he saved a remnant from its number of humans and animals etc and placed them into a boat.   The story in its context is one of judgment and grace. And that totally makes sense. 
How was there enough space for:

-All of the animals
-All of their food for 40 days, which for the carnivores means more animals, which require more food

In addition, how can Noah pick up the poop of all those animals?  There are tens of thousands of them.

The story makes no sense and I therefore don't think the bible is correct.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@TheUnderdog

TheUnderdog,

You mentioned only 40 days? NOT!  The Bible precludes that Noah and thousands upon thousands upon thousands upon thousands of "kinds" of animals, birds, fish, and insects X 8 pairs which equal 16 of each breathing life form were upon the waters for 371 days, which your position is worsened!  :(

Reread my post #7 above for more actual FACTS relative to the Noah Flood scenario.   

NOTE:  There is a certain pseudo-christian within your thread now that makes fun of the Noah's ark narrative by precluding that our serial killer Jesus, as Yahweh God incarnate, put INFANT animals, birds, fish, and insects, x 8 pairs (Genesis 7:2), equaling 16 of each "kind" X thousands, upon thousand, upon thousands, upon thousands of these "kinds" upon the ark!  Yes, it is true. This is why many call him a pseudo-christian zoology and Bible ignorant fool!  Because this individual is proud in stating this alleged fact, he will more than likely reveal himself to you in proffering such comical material!  Just wait.  LOL

When a pseudo-christian alludes to Noah's ark makes some sense, then that is not good enough to be an absolute in proving that the Flood actually happened. ALL Christians should only deal in absolutes for the faith to be accepted, not "maybes!"  
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@TheUnderdog
I guess the completely incorrect order of creation, where light preceded stars, didn't throw you either, huh?
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@TheUnderdog
he saved a remnant from its number of humans and animals etc and placed them into a boat.   The story in its context is one of judgment and grace. And that totally makes sense. 
How was there enough space for:

-All of the animals
-All of their food for 40 days, which for the carnivores means more animals, which require more food

In addition, how can Noah pick up the poop of all those animals?  There are tens of thousands of them.

The story makes no sense and I therefore don't think the bible is correct.

Hi again the underdog,

I agreed with you that a literal understanding of Noah's Ark was difficult for modern man to understand. This is why I said it needs to be understood contextually and with its purpose in mind. 

Hence, asking the questions you are - is like asking for a literal understanding of every poem that has been written. I have read many poems about the Vietnam War - describing and picturing the horrors that abound about war. Yet, many of the pictures described obviously did not make sense but was filling out the story and exaggerating things to emphasis particular things.  Should my conclusion therefore be - it does not make sense - so the Vietnam War did not happen? 
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Tradesecret
so the Vietnam War did not happen? 
It happened, but how could Noah's ark happen under the conditions that it did?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@BrotherDThomas
were upon the waters for 371 days, which your position is worsened!
Where in the bible does it say that?  Christianity makes no sense.  Also, you don't exactly make sense either.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
I agreed with you that a literal understanding of Noah's Ark was difficult for modern man to understand. This is why I said it needs to be understood contextually and with its purpose in mind. 

I am of the same mind as the OP  and for many reasons. So instead of  using that old excuse concerning context, why do you not break it down for those of us who you say are missing the "context" or do not "understand" the context and put the whole of the biblical story of the flood into a more  believable or at least understandable  context? 

Start here:

Genesis 6: 7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

I am of the understanding that god created the world and then regretted doing so. He then decides to destroy all of his creation with some exceptions. Am I correct so far and do I have the "context" right?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@TheUnderdog

This included all the fresh water to drink and all the different kinds of foods these different animals ate for the five months floating about on the sea.   Such as Eucalyptus for the Australian Koala. Bamboo for the Chinese Panda. Leaves of the toxic milkweed plant for the Monarch Butterfly.  Prairie dogs for the Black-footed Ferret. Natural fermented nectar of the Bertram Palm for Pen-tailed Treeshrew.  And  one has to ask how did Noah round up the Echidna and Aardvarks and Wallabies and Kangaroos or the 21 species of animals and birds native only to New Zealand. Then there are those only native to Madagascar such as the  Lemurs ,Pochards, Giraffe Weevil, Panther Chameleon and the Tomato Frog? 

And one would have thought that a  SERPENT!  would have been the last thing Noah wanted on his boat considering it was  a SERPENT!that corrupted ALL mankind in the first place and caused god to destroy every living thing on it bar a chosen few couples.  Yes I do see how ridiculous this all sounds. 

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@TheUnderdog

TheUnderdog,

YOUR IGNORANT QUOTE EQUALING THE PSEUDO-CHRISTIANS IGNORANCE: Where in the bible does it say that?  Christianity makes no sense.  Also, you don't exactly make sense either.

I have had to get used to Bible ignorant pseudo-christians within this forum, where Tradesecret is the #1 Bible ignorant fool in this category, but I didn't expect an Atheist like you would even have to question that Noah and thousand,s upon thousands, upon thousands of animals were upon the waters for 371 days!  How embarrassing for you being in a Religion forum.

Therefore, it is a lengthy process to show you this biblical fact of 371 days, therefore since you admitted that the Bible doesn't make sense, I am NOT going to take the time in trying to explain the length of time Noah was upon the waters. Therefore, YOU are going to have to figure this  biblical axiom on your own. Ready?  GOOGLE is your best friend, okay? Therefore, in the search window put "Noah on the waters for 371 days" and then press "return" then a plethora of links will show up, see how easy this works? Huh?  :(

YOUR QUOTE:  "Also, you don't exactly make sense either."

I cannot be held responsible for your outright stupidity relative to the JUDEO-Christian Bible when I bring forth its content, where to you I don't make sense.   Next time, before you open your Satanic mouth upon a religious topic, fully know the topic in question so as not be embarrassed again. God it?