If Perma-frost Melts ---OMG!---

Author: ebuc

Total: 8
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc

..."Melting permafrost, suspected by Russia of being behind an unprecedented fuel spill that has polluted huge stretches of Arctic rivers, is a time bomb threatening health and the environment, and risks speeding up global warming."....

..."Frozen diseases?

The thawing of the permafrost also threatens to unlock disease-causing bacteria and viruses long trapped in the ice.
There have already been some cases of this happening.

...In 2016 a child died in Russia's far northern Siberia in an outbreak of anthrax that scientists said seemed to have come from the corpses of infected reindeers buried 70 years before but uncovered by melting permafrost.

.....Released from the ice, the anthrax seems to have been passed to grazing herds.

....Scientists have also warned that other dormant pathogens entombed in frozen soil may be roused by global warming, such as from old smallpox graves.

...In 2014 scientists revived a giant but harmless virus, dubbed Pithovirus sibericum, that had been locked in the Siberian permafrost for more than 30,000 years."....

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
wow interesting
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
There's a big difference between interest and hiding in the backwoods with your assault rifle and your banjo.

You can't hide from them there viruses though, nor gun the f**kers down.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@ebuc
I think nuclear power can deal with climate change more effectively than forcing every home to have solar panels.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
ok and?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
If every new building was fitted  with solar panels, then that would be a real boost for the Chinese economy, and also very good idea...or vice versa.

And I think that the long term problems of nuclear power production in terms of decommissioning, outweigh the short term benefits.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Maybe you weren't being sarcastic. 

If so I will retract my previous statements.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
i wasn't