-->
@Dr.Franklin
alright then
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Intelligence_06
look the court got it 100%, i dont think we need to go back on it but i appreciate high effort posts like this

Unless you are outright white supremacist
im not quite sure why this was issued in the thread
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Intelligence_06
I mean, I don't deserve to be killed if I just stole some ordinary guy's wallet. Crimes has weight and I doubt Breonna Taylor is guilty enough for death penalty.
When your boyfriend starts shooting at cops, then that's kinda what happens. She wasn't shot for aiding a drug dealer. Had he not tried to kill a bunch of cops, everything would have gone peacefully. But no, it is always "THE COPS KILLED HER OVER DRUGS REEEEEEEEEEEEEE. THEY SHOULDN'T DO THATTTTTT"
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@bmdrocks21
It is at most her bf who deserved punishment. Breonna Taylor shot no cops.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@bmdrocks21
It is unrealistic for "Just obey the law", or "expect police killings duh", because Breonna taylor did nothing that deserves death.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Intelligence_06
I agree that BLM is a counter-intuitive slogan.

I also agree that ALM is more appropriate where equality is concerned.

I'm not sure what "extreme equality" might be, because as I see it equality is either equality or not.

Extreme equality would seem to just reverse the polarities of inequality, which I suppose you might say is what the BLM slogan inadvertently or even deliberately does.

Which brings me nicely back to Animal Farm.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
As a "fan" of Billie Eilish, I find it completely ironic at her criticism of "All lives matter", as she says "Stop making everything about you".

Black people are making the movement about themselves, or it at least appears so, because "Black lives matter" as the title does not include other minorities. Changing one word isn't that hard.

Stop making everything about you, Black people. We never said you don't matter when we said All lives matter. You are lives, you matter. There are other groups of people that need help just like you, the LGBT, the Muslim immigrants... Black lives matter isn't enough. All lives matter. All of them. Change the slogan. This isn't just about black people.

We should not generally use the interpretation of whoever is a part of a movement to judge the whole phrase and generally redefining it. If so, then anything anyone finds offensive could be banned or canceled, eventually, there isn't anything left. I mean, I am not even asking you to obey the laws made by someone who may or may not be corrupt. I am just asking you to understand your language maybe a little better: All means all. All doesn't mean the exclusion of blacks. Stop using a comic that misinterprets the issue like White people misinterprets BLM as "Only black lives matter!?" to determine what you trust. That is logically disproven alright. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Intelligence_06
Of course, whether lives matter or not is actually a question we do not know the answer to.

And we are all selectively moral and biased in our regard for life anyway.

And that's assuming that morality might actually mean something.

It's interesting how people of "mixed parentage" tend to assume blackness....Maybe black is the default setting.

A few thousand years from now, if humanity survives.  I suspect that the human species will have on the whole, reverted to type B.

There might still be a few of them there rednecks hiding in the back woods somewhere....That's assuming that there are still some backwoods left to hide in of course.

Though B as it currently stands is more representative of origin, and far less to do with skin tone.

14 days later

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
People say: “Black lives matter doesn’t mean other lives don’t”

I say, “BLM is correct doesn’t mean other statements, especially ones that convey the same meaning, is not.”

I will say it again: if you support BLM but think ALM is incorrect, go educate yourself on the nature of language that you are using.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Rich Lives Matter.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Yes. I love being the bourgeoisie, as long as I don’t actively suppress the proletariat. We want a world that is OK to be poor, not NOT OK to be rich.
Crocodile
Crocodile
once again, the problem with ALM, is that it's not taken for what it means.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Crocodile
Agreed. That is the status quo we need to change.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Crocodile
once again, the problem with ALM, is that it's not taken for what it means.
The problem is that not all lives matter. Name one poor person whose life matters.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
40th president of Uruguay.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Intelligence_06
is he poor?
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Yes he is poor. All he had is about $1,125 and a VW beetle. Looks like the normal poor person except he rules the nation.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Intelligence_06
Yes he is poor. 
Doesn't matter then.
bronskibeat
Debates: 3
bronskibeat
-->
@Intelligence_06
As a "fan" of Billie Eilish, I find it completely ironic at her criticism of "All lives matter", as she says "Stop making everything about you".

Black people are making the movement about themselves, or it at least appears so, because "Black lives matter" as the title does not include other minorities. Changing one word isn't that hard.

Stop making everything about you, Black people. We never said you don't matter when we said All lives matter. You are lives, you matter. There are other groups of people that need help just like you, the LGBT, the Muslim immigrants... Black lives matter isn't enough. All lives matter. All of them. Change the slogan. This isn't just about black people.

As someone who doesn't really follow Billie Eilish, I think the idea behind her statement may be that we live in a society that has often ignored many issues that are big within the black community, and has centered white people (there are benefits to being apart of a majority). So, white people being offended that something doesn't include their experiences comes across as hypocritical and unnecessary.

Black Lives Matter is about shedding light on prevalent in the black community. The problem with "All Lives Matter" is that, while it's true, it's not specific enough. If an organization becomes too broad in what it's trying to accomplish then it becomes very easy for people within the minority of that organization to fall through the cracks. We have organizations like the ACLU that cover the "All Lives Matter" approach. We have the Human Rights Campaign that centers LGBT issues, American Immigration Council that focuses specifically on issues that immigrants face, Muslim Advocates which centers anti-Muslim bigotry, etc. 

Issues and experiences that are prevalent in one community may not be prevalent in all communities so it's helpful to have multiple organizations that can speak in detail to the specific issues a particular community might face. Back to ACLU, they have included police brutality in their fight since the 1950s, but that's not all they focus on. They focus on many issues that affect many different communities, and it's important and beneficial work. Yet, in recent years, their campaigns have not make the same impact that Black Lives Matter did in regards to racism in law enforcement/legal system/society. Black Lives Matter influenced the ACLU on re-centering issues of racism in law enforcement/legal system, and ACLU has been a big support to BLM. It helps to have organizations/movements that center specific issues to make impact and change. These organizations can also work along side each other. 

Black Lives Matter has also been active in issues affecting immigration, LGBTQ, non-black victims of police brutality, etc. At the end of the day, actions speak louder than words. If you're getting hung up on the name, then you don't (and some are resistant to) understand the context.

20 days later

Conway
Debates: 0
Conway
A cop murders someone and I see these people are talkin about the damn social media slogan...and their sense of community is often distorted, a conflation with identity.

Unless you are running for office, your slogans are pretty much worthless.  Maybe if you put up enough signs the rioters will spare you.  Is that the idea?

You need to physically speak to people in your community for any genuine change to take place.
Conway
Conway
-->
@Intelligence_06
By the way, I think it's a fantastic article.  I read it before I went to sleep last night. 

Since #ALM started as a counter-protest to racism, there's naturally going to be different perspectives.   Some people probably mean no disrespect, and people like me live in the knowledge that I would be perceived differently than I intended to come across if I wasn't just the one who listens to people who spend half their day on the internet. 

12 days later

MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
-->
@Intelligence_06
The phenomenon that is occurring here racial in-group biases fighting against each other. From a purely literal position, both "Black Lives Matter" and "All Lives Matter" are phrases the majority of people will agree with, but it's the underlying connotations cause people to contest. Focusing purely on "black lives" angers the egalitarians and other non-black races with in-group bias, all because it takes the focus away from their perceived in-groups. For a similar reason, black people get annoyed when you take the focus away from their racial group with "All Lives Matter".

The truth is, when it comes to racial conflict, the details don't matter. It doesn't matter what actually happened with George Floyd. All that matters was that he was killed by a White man, therefore Black people lost out. It doesn't matter what happened with Breonna Taylor. She was a Black woman who was shot by police, there Black people lost out. Perhaps both were cases of injustice. Perhaps neither were.

When it comes to fighting between races, you push the truth when it aids your cause (if you can be bothered to determine it, which most people aren't), and you ignore it when it doesn't. There is no point in discussing these events because most people are not interested in the truth. Instead, they're interested in pushing their own race's agenda, damn everything else.

18 days later

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Intelligence_06
I will disagree and say most lives matter. Some people are only alive because it is against the law to kill them. Take pedophiles and human traffickers for instance. Their lives don't matter and only live because it is against the law to kill them.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
I would further disagree and say, that indirectly, but nonetheless relative to the reasons you gave above. No lives actually matter.

Certain people matter to certain people for certain reasons.

For example.... An earthquake claims hundreds of lives in Northern Pakistan...And some people will be overwrought, and some will be disturbed and the rest won't bat an eyelid.....Such is humanity.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
I will agree in the big scheme of things my life doesn't mean shit., The world will never miss me or you or anyone on this site if we died today. The world would even know or care.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
True.

Realistic but not nihilistic.

Our lives  for their duration, will have meaning for us and our loved ones.

And all my loved ones are "white" and so no black lives matter that much to me.

But I will always be respectful of those who are respectful  of me.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
By that logic, no one not in your circle of friends and family should care about you at all. If one of those people saw you, would they be justified in shooting you? Morally speaking, not legally. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Theweakeredge
Well...That's a somewhat stylised response that doesn't take into account the whole  gamut of modern social interaction.

I was suggesting that levels of care are relative to association, and so the more remote and dissociated we are from one another the less we tend to care.

If my wife died I would be affected for a long time...If my next door neighbour died I would be temporarily affected....But this does not mean, that shooting my neighbour would be morally justifiable. 
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@MgtowDemon
No. Black Lives Matter actually argues for All lives matter in its cores, but it is the slogan that is counterintuitive. BLM and ALM wants the same things: Equity. Battling of which one is correct is meaningless. Saying BLM is correct because ALM is "racist" is an appeal to tradition fallacy.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
Well, I was looking at it as an ought problem, as in, what ought you care about? More specifically, what ought we should focus our efforts in, there is nothing stylized about it, its just a moral quandary. If you only levy your care on knowability, the quality that let you make the statement of black lives not mattering to you, then that is the logical conclusion.