9sk/seldiora's Gauntlet Tournament

Author: seldiora

Total: 112
seldiora
Debates: 158
seldiora
As the DART tournament comes down to its last round, I'd like to replicate the DDO "gauntlet tournament" since it seemed interesting. If anyone objects, let me hear it now.

As ClassicRobert said and I will paste: 

There will be a tower of five debaters. These debaters will be ranked from lowest seed to highest seed.

A challenger will then step up. This challenger must make his/her way through the entire tower of debaters undefeated, and if the challenger wins, he will be the first winner of the Gauntlet (which, to clarify, is not a physical award).

However, if the challenger loses any debates in the challenge-tower, the gauntlet is reset and a new challenger will have the opportunity to try to win the Gauntlet!

Within three days of the Gauntlet beginning, the challenger must PM me with the topic for the first debate, as agreed upon by both debaters. This is intended to be a serious tournament, and troll topics or excessively pop-culture based debates ("Miley Cyrus is worse than Hannah Montana" "The Broncos are the best football team ever") are not acceptable for the Gauntlet. The debate must then start within three days of my approval.

Debates will be 4 rounds (with the first round being for declaration of rules and acceptance), and will be 4000 to 8000 characters at the debaters discretion. The voting period can be however long the debaters want, but for the sake of rapid progression of the tournament, the winner will be declared after three days. If the challenger wins, the next topic must be sent to me within three days, and the debate will be started three days later, and so on.

So without further ado, let the sign-up begin!

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

Judges:

If there aren't enough guards I'll be a backup guard for the tower.

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
/in challenge tower

Where Ragnar and Oro is, where Wins.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
So basically Pokémon gym rules then?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@seldiora
@Intelligence_06
Where Ragnar and Oro is, where Wins.
and where's the fun in that?

• I'm willing to judge. 
  • If any challengers would rather I didn't judge them, I'll respect that too.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@oromagi
You can judge. If you are the challenger then we are dead. If you are a tower defender then, sucks to be whoever playing offense here.

seldiora
seldiora
Challenger: ???

Challenge Tower:
1. Intelligence_06
5. seldiora

Judges:
1. Oromagi

right now intel is the most capable who has signed up so he is at the top. Will we get enough people on the tower? Who knows.

seldiora
seldiora
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
pretty much. You wanna join?
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@seldiora
Ehhhhh... Sure but not as a challenger. I don't have time for all that sadly.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@seldiora
Change the first round being for rules and acceptance, that doesn't suit DART mechanics.

Explain how topics are chosen. I am /in conditionally based on topic choice mechanics.

I learned from previously joining a tournament that I don't enjoy being thrown into a situation where I'm playing devil's advocate in a very serious topic, all urge to debate well goes away as I don't feel comfortable passionately debating against what I believe if it's a 'big famous competition' where I'm doing it. It is important to me that the topic and side are in the hands of the debaters.
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@RationalMadman
edited rules:

There will be a tower of five debaters. These debaters will be ranked from lowest seed to highest seed.

A challenger will then step up. This challenger must make his/her way through the entire tower of debaters undefeated, and if the challenger wins, he will be the first winner of the Gauntlet (which, to clarify, is not a physical award).

However, if the challenger loses any debates in the challenge-tower, a new challenger will have the opportunity to try to win the Gauntlet from the start!

Within three days of the Gauntlet beginning, the challenger must PM me with the topic for the first debate, as agreed upon by both debaters. (They will choose their sides before beginning)This is intended to be a serious tournament, and troll topics or excessively pop-culture based debates ("Miley Cyrus is worse than Hannah Montana" "The Broncos are the best football team ever") are not acceptable for the Gauntlet.

Otherwise, any debates are acceptable. Some examples are http://www.edeb8.com/motions.txt (except "Only Women Should Be Allowed to Vote"), http://www.wacfl.org/joomlaweb/topics/116-lincoln-douglas-debate-topicsLincoln-Douglas, https://www.procon.org/, and even https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4690-i-can-i-bb-debate-topics (though be sure to ask me or Intelligence for the precise translation as Google Translate can be very wonky). The debate must then start within three days of my approval.

Debates will be 4 rounds, with rules in the description, and will be 3500 to 15000 characters at the debaters discretion. The voting period can be however long the debaters want, but for the sake of rapid progression of the tournament, the winner will be declared after three days. If the challenger wins, the next topic must be sent to me within three days, and the debate will be started three days later, and so on.

So without further ado, let the sign-up continue!

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@seldiora
Ok so I am /in
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@RationalMadman
As part of the tower, I presume?
(unless you can prove you're better than intelligence, I'm dropping you below him for now)

Challenger: ???

Challenge Tower:
1. Intelligence_06
2. RationalMadman
5. seldiora

Judges:
1. Oromagi

seldiora
seldiora
Since DD didn’t object to being part of tower I’ll throw him in for fun, defaulting to one level above me.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
Well, I’d offer to challenge, but the next couple of weeks I’m going to be slammed, so I can’t judge either. Guess I’ll join the tower, since that will give me some time before whoever decides to challenge has a chance to face me.
Ayyantu
Debates: 4
Ayyantu
I'd be a challenger. 
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
bravery(Ayyantu) = 100
risk(Ayyantu) >= 99%
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@seldiora
Well I think RM is more capable than me. You can put him above me once someone else joined in. He won over 100 debates while I don't even have half of them. 
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
Better get a backup by 11/16. I am going to school most of the week and will probably have little time to contemplate an argument for repeat and on and repeat.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Lunatic

MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
/in as a judge. 
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@seldiora
I'll take that tower slot bro
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@Ayyantu
Challenger: Ayyantu

I am not sure who is better out of DD or Sum, but based on Secret War debate I am guessing Sum is slightly stronger than DD.
Challenge Tower:
1. Whiteflame
2. RationalMadman
3. Sum1HugMe
5. seldiora

Backup:
1. Intelligence_06

Judges:
1. Oromagi
2. MisterChris

We can discuss various topics to debate to start off the gauntlet. I can debate anything, but if you wanna make it past I highly discourage any of my strongest topics (though you can take the opposing side and watch me cry). You can accept the 100 Character Limit Raise debate if you want, as well, for purpose of this tournament.
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@oromagi
@MisterChris
I guess we technically already have a finished debate. (https://www.debateart.com/debates/2476-it-is-preferable-for-beautiful-women-to-actively-go-after-a-career-than-go-after-a-man) It's a pretty good representation of my effort in a random topic. I'll throw a bone to him. You guys can judge this in place of our "first debate". IDK if he is serious about the Evolution debate so we can wait on that if I switch around DD & Sum1. I know Robert said four rounds but I think I can I BB topics work best with 3 rounds and I'll make an exception for those type of topics.

If Ayyantu loses then he can just try again lol. We got time.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@seldiora
uh, i don't think we should use that as R1. I know I at least put more effort into tournament debates, so we should start from the ground up again. 
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@MisterChris
fair enough. (you just want Ayyantu to suffer Charter School insanity, don't you :P)
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@seldiora
I think discipulus is more experienced than sum1.

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@seldiora
Well I would want to suffer “Charter school insanity” if I am pro. Arguing a thing I never knew is fun. Arguing something that I am specifically against is not.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@seldiora
maybe
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@Ayyantu
rearranged tower:

1. Whiteflame
2. RationalMadman
3. Intelligence_06
5. seldiora

I'm ready any time. Or I guess we could wait for another challenger.

Backup for intelligence: Discipulus_Didicit
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@seldiora
I am in the tower. Whatever.