Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
liberal christians? anyone?
Conway
Conway
-->
@Juice
 In the US, conservatism is basically a liberal philosophy.  Conservatives expect common people to be generally adept at contributing to society.  What is conservatism to you?

Can you be conservative if you don't observe both a church and state?

What do you have that is worth conserving? 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
u would think conservative atheism would be more common... given both world views are built on sand, subject to fuzzy thinking. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Stefen Molyneux comes to mind. I'm pretty sure he's a conservative atheist.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Juice
I'm registered as an Independent.
Though I do like the right to own guns.
Dislike illegal immigration.
Dislike the idea of people getting sex change operations in the military.
Take pride in being an American.
Still admire religion, and accept others practice of it, though more and less.
Dislike abortion, though I prefer avoiding the issue.
Support the police.
Dislike drugs.
Have mixed feelings on same sex marriage.
Have mixed feelings on gambling.
Mixed opinion about censorship.

I 'like tradition often I'd say.
Though it often conflicts with myself liking 'freedom.
Juice
Debates: 1
Juice
Here are some of my views

God isn't real
Religion is harmful
Pro Gambling (let idiots waste their money, not my problem)
Abortion is immoral 
Trans men are women 
Free market
BLM (blue lives matter) 
ALM (all lives matter)
Send illegal immigrants back
Pro Gun rights 

So I would be a conservative atheist? 
Conway
Conway
-->
@Juice
So I would be a conservative atheist? 
A quick answer to the question: No, that's not particularly indicative of conservatism.  Conservatism is not simply a traditional philosophy.  It is political.

God isn't real
Religion is harmful
Religious outlook - Apolitical

Pro Gambling (let idiots waste their money, not my problem)
Abortion is immoral 
Trans men are women 
BLM (blue lives matter) 
ALM (all lives matter)
Societal outlook - Apolitical 
Putting the general statement on abortion aside, this is a list of pretty uncontroversial things. 
Free market
Send illegal immigrants back
Pro Gun rights 
Here is a list of inherently political issues.  Sending illegal immigrants back is really just rule of law on it's face.  It's non-ideological.

Most people who want governments to respect an individual's right to bear arms might be called liberals.  If you are tolerant of ideas, understand the concept that rights may be respected rather than instituted by government bodies, and you respect individual property rights, than you have something in common with liberals.  Liberalism is a philosophy that promotes the ideals of liberty, justice, and equality.   In the US which was founded in the age of enlightenment, conservatism is basically a subset of liberalism, Some people confuse the matter using "liberal" as a colloquial reference to distinguish advocates of "New Deal" economics (modern liberalism) over what might be argued to be an undervaluing of things that conservatives concern themselves with equal weight in consideration of institutional integrity such as: family, education, community relations, charity etc...

I think this is a pretty good explanation for liberalism taken from Wikipedia. 

Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty, consent of the governed and equality before the law. Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support free markets, free trade, limited government, individual rights (including civil rights and human rights), capitalism, democracy, secularism, gender equality, racial equality, internationalism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press and freedom of religion.

Liberalism became a distinct movement in the Age of Enlightenment, when it became popular among Western philosophers and economists. Liberalism sought to replace the norms of hereditary privilege, state religion, absolute monarchy, the divine right of kings and traditional conservatism with representative democracy and the rule of law. Liberals also ended mercantilist policies, royal monopolies and other barriers to trade, instead promoting free trade and free markets. Philosopher John Locke is often credited with founding liberalism as a distinct tradition, based on the social contract, arguing that each man has a natural right to life, liberty and property and governments must not violate these rights. 

Note the philosopher John locke is mentioned.  "Enlightenment" thought is so influential in the United States, that the Supreme Court will occasionally reference his work.  In the 13 colonies of the United States he was an inspirational figure to those who decided the language in the Declaration of Independence. 

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Juice
Yes, I think those beliefs would make you a conservative atheist.
Conway
Conway
-->
@SirAnonymous
According to the philosophy of Theodore Roosevelt, conservatism and progressivism ought to go hand in hand.

Say that Joe Biden is a devout Catholic.  He seems like a conventional American to me.  He drives an old corvette.  He has a shotgun and says you should to.
Would you say that he is a conservative or that he campaigned on one of the most progressive platforms in history?
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Conway
Would you say that he is a conservative or that he campaigned on one of the most progressive platforms in history?
The latter, although "most progressive" is still less progressive than Bernie supporters would like.
Conway
Conway
-->
@SirAnonymous
If they ever get their revolution we might as well surrender to Canada and start recycling the monster trucks. 

Canada was right.  We were wrong. It's time to hoist a white flag over Old Glory and ask nicely. Just get it over with. 

The world doesn't need a free country, and it'll go on fine without.  There's no point in continuing this failed experiment.

17 days later

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Juice
Are you still here?

13 days later

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
liberal christians? anyone?
One of our mods claims to be a liberal Christian.

What do you have that is worth conserving?
I don't think you know what conservatism means.

I think this is a pretty good explanation for liberalism taken from Wikipedia. 
It isn't. It is basically a lie. I hope you are aware that anyone can write or edit a wiki article?

Say that Joe Biden is a devout Catholic.
He isn't.

28 days later

Jasmine
Debates: 4
Jasmine
They exist, I'm not 1 of them tho