Debates: 12
janesix
Is it for spiritual growth?
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@janesix
Not at all, quite the opposite. The more Satanic you are, the more you'll prosper in life but it's not as simple as that because Satanist is full of simple-minded greedy fools.

The real Devil is God and God is all about long-term strategy that means repaying those who are loyal to and admire you. Be the devil herself, God herself and you will prosper in life. Do not have morals but also do not forget that lack of any moral-seeming code is lack of discipline and lack of discipline is the surest way to make dumb decisions in life.
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@janesix
What makes you think it has any and why?
Castin
Castin
-->
@janesix
Are you asking what its objective purpose is, or are you asking what purpose humans should assign it?
janesix
janesix
-->
@Castin
I am asking what it was created for
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
So, you're asking what purpose rocks were created?
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
It doesn't have a purpose. It is a rock spinning through space.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Goldtop
Earth is much more than "rocks". It is a living ecosystem. 
janesix
janesix
-->
@drafterman
Earth is much more than "rocks". It is a living ecosystem. 
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@janesix
Why are you asking about earth in particular?

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
An eco-system only on the surface, which includes the oceans and other water bodies, the rest is rock. And of course, the surface used to be molten when the Earth formed, so there was no eco-system then. Then, a large body collided with the Earth making it molten again.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Plisken
Because it is the cradle of humanity.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Goldtop
Do you have a point?
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@janesix
The entire biomass of Earth comprises about 0.00000000938% of all of its mass. It is not "much more" than a rock. It's a rock that has some wriggly carbohydrates smeared on its surface.

Spinning through space.
janesix
janesix
-->
@drafterman
I understand, you live in a materialist bubble. it's ok. 
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
Do you have a point?
Evidently not to those who don't wish to embrace reality.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
I understand, you live in a materialist bubble. it's ok. 
Reality sucks? Not interested in it? Sorry, won't bother your ongoing fantasy. It's ok.

janesix
janesix
-->
@Goldtop
Reality is much stranger than you can imagine Goldie.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
I don't find reality strange at all other than all the negative effects it's sustained over the millennia from religions.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Goldtop
You live in a myopic materialist bubble. I don't blame you. You can't help it.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
I'd much rather live in reality than a delusional fantasy. But, whatever floats your boat.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Goldtop
Your materialist "reality" is far from what is really going on.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
Yes, that is indeed your fantasy considering you can no more show that than I can show Leprechauns riding Unicorns.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Goldtop

you didn't address the question, yet again.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
Sorry, but that term is meaningless to me so I can't answer the question.

Things grow in nature.

Castin
Castin
-->
@janesix
I am asking what it was created for
I don't think it was created at all. But I think it's a miraculous and mind-boggling little gem that is like no other rock in space we have yet discovered, and it regularly fills me with amazement.

But if you think Earth was created and that's your jumping off point, you might ask yourself a few questions.

- Does Earth's apparent uniqueness as a life bearing planet imply a creator intended for us to be here?
- Mass extinction is inevitable for every life form on Earth. Why were we created just to be destroyed?
- Are the Earth's purpose and humanity's purpose two different things, or is the purpose of our planet bound to us in some way?
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Castin
I don't think it was created at all. But I think it's a miraculous and mind-boggling little gem that is like no other rock in space we have yet discovered, and it regularly fills me with amazement.

Now that is a puzzling statement. You don't think it was created, but you accept it exists. Surely you don't think it just magically appeared all by itself? Even if it is a fragment of something else … it still had to come from somewhere or  thing. You think it is a miraculous and mind boggling little gem? Well that is observant. It is unique - so unique "that is like no other rock in space". It feels you with amazement?  

But if you think Earth was created and that's your jumping off point, you might ask yourself a few questions.

I am pleased that you are able to engage with the author's question. It does demonstrate that your mind is not entirely closed. 

- Does Earth's apparent uniqueness as a life bearing planet imply a creator intended for us to be here?

Great question. And I think it is reasonable to presume a creator when it uniqueness is such as it is. Of course it does not prove the same, but it is quite reasonable to make the presumption. It certainly seems more plausible than the alternatives presented currently. It is more plausible to consider that everything was created by something rather than everything just "happened" for no particular reason. At least within the biological world of Darwin he posited the notion of "natural selection" as a means of change.  Outside of the biological world, and away from natural selection, it falls down to chance and randomness. I recognise that discussing the origin of everything is necessarily in the same ballpark as evolution but there are certain similarities. 

- Mass extinction is inevitable for every life form on Earth. Why were we created just to be destroyed?

It is not inevitable that mass extinction for every life form on earth will occur. That particular view is part of the eschatological reality for a non-theist worldview, but it is not able to be demonstrated or proved. It is based upon "chance", "randomness", "probability", "statistics" and intentionally omitting a Creator who made the earth with purpose and intent. Hence, your question is a form of the old chestnut "Can God make a rock so big he cannot lift it?"  Point being that if God made everything with a purpose then all of the things which are able to end the forms of life are also within his domain and control. 

- Are the Earth's purpose and humanity's purpose two different things, or is the purpose of our planet bound to us in some way?

This is a good question too. Firstly, if God did create everything, then the answer of purpose for the earth and humanity is the same. It is to glorify God and to enjoy him for ever. From a non-theist's point of view, the two would or may be vastly different.  I suspect that the earth's purpose in this latter case would as Hawking might suggest be nothing. Humanity's purpose on the other hand could not be a collective thing, unless it was to survive (although this raises more difficult questions such as why?) so it must be totally subjective to each individual. And their purpose would be to do things in order to live and to die. They might include things along the way - to look after their children etc, to live peaceably with each other, but all of these (without God) would still be directed their own individual purpose in life.

The second part of your question is also quite intriguing.  It almost implies a metaphysical force of some description either God or something else. Like trees and humans require each other to survive - a symbiotic relationship between the earth and humans for a purpose probably unknown to humanity as a whole although not necessarily to the earth.  Still, I suspect that as we become greener and more collective in our ideas that shape the way we think of this topic. A Christian does not take the view that we are symbiotic with the world but are totally dependant and reliant upon God. It is our responsibility however to tend to the earth and to look after it and each other as we serve the Lord. And the best way to do this is in accordance to the wisdom that God has given to us.   

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tradesecret
You don't think it was created, but you accept it exists. 
What about existing necessitates a creator?

Castin
Castin
-->
@Tradesecret

Now that is a puzzling statement. You don't think it was created, but you accept it exists. Surely you don't think it just magically appeared all by itself? Even if it is a fragment of something else … it still had to come from somewhere or  thing. You think it is a miraculous and mind boggling little gem? Well that is observant. It is unique - so unique "that is like no other rock in space". It feels you with amazement?  
secularmerlin appears to have beaten me to my response. What is the conflict between accepting Earth exists and not believing it was intelligently created?

But to answer the question: I think that Earth, like everything in the universe, can ultimately trace its origin back to the Big Bang.

* And my words were "that is like no other rock in space we have yet discovered". I know it may not seem like much, but it's an important distinction to me.

This is a good question too. Firstly, if God did create everything, then the answer of purpose for the earth and humanity is the same. It is to glorify God and to enjoy him for ever. From a non-theist's point of view, the two would or may be vastly different.  I suspect that the earth's purpose in this latter case would as Hawking might suggest be nothing. Humanity's purpose on the other hand could not be a collective thing, unless it was to survive (although this raises more difficult questions such as why?) so it must be totally subjective to each individual. And their purpose would be to do things in order to live and to die. They might include things along the way - to look after their children etc, to live peaceably with each other, but all of these (without God) would still be directed their own individual purpose in life.
It sounds like you're saying the meaning of life is to worship. Is that what you're saying?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@janesix
A spiritual answer for me personally is: To have a human experience enjoying the things you love about this reality. I don't think it is for spiritual growth. It's just one reality out of many your spiritual self visits. The reasons are many since they are all subjective to the person. For me, it's being here with my family, friends and enjoying the other things i love to do in this reality. For this is the only type of reality i can enjoy the things i love for how they are. Any other type of reality would be a different experience than this one... in essence, this is currently paradise or hell, most of the time both. It's just an experience out of the sea of experiences. It's the same thing if you asked what is the purpose of a movie... or more specifically to your op, the CD of a movie. To put it in the video player and watch it.