Sports - What are they?

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 36
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
SO - This forum - Basic interpretations of sports - what are they? why are they designed how they are? how many people enjoy them? why should one play or watch them? It's to simply quantify anything and everything about a sport. 

May seem kind of cliche, but football, anyone wanna tackle all this for football, just to get the ball rolling?

I'm sorry.

Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
A physical competition with a specified rule set?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Like - the motivations behind them, why? What is the essence of football? What does it do? What does it accomplish? Why and how does it work?
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Well I'm a combat sports guy so that's what I'll speak to, and I can tell you that motivations are different for everyone.  Most people in a given MMA class are there for either self defense training, or to get in shape. The sport itself had motivations of creating a setting where martial arts "styles" could be putted against each other in a time where most people thought fighting was like the karate kid. I've heard that the Gracie clan set up Royce with easy fights in UFC1 to promote Gracie jiu-jitsu. And theres of course the monetary gain. 
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
If you're looking for "essence." The three most important aspects in fighting are : technique, athleticism, and aggression. And a surplus in one can often make up for a deficiency in another
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Huh that's really interesting actually - you know - this is kinda random, but if I could ask a favor? 

I actually write quite a lot, and I'm working on several short stories, where fighting is a pretty popular thing to do within. Do you think you give me some tips on some basics off combat? Or at least some typically used techniques? I'm not terrible I would say but I feel like I could definitely do better. 

Anyways- to the topic at hand -I would figure something like that for MMA at least, it makes sense to me anyway.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yeah that's fine, but I'm no expert.

I would say the same three fundamentals apply to football too, and maybe tennis. Although the rules of the sport tip the balance in different directions

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
That makes sense I suppose - certain limitations would mean certain aspects are more emphasized than others. In football, there are pretty strict rules about how you can tackle your opponent, which severely limits physical aggression. I think? 
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Really the rulesets modify the technique. But like the size of a tennis court and the weight of the ball require a light, technical touch, rather than an aggressive one in most cases.

Judo was fundamentally changed by olympic rulesets. Judo used to have a really good ground game, but with the olympic rulesets scoring throws and not allowing ground fighting, olympic judo, and as a result almost all judo became a sport of pretty much just throws instead.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
As an addition to what I said about the surplus of one making up for a deficit in another in fighting. I think that's why former football players do really well in MMA when they first start because their athleticism is so developed, that their technique can be lacking and still dominate. But then when they start getting into harder matches where their competition is equally athletic and more technically developed, they start losing
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Huh, so their raw physical attributes, their ability to react to others, strength, stamina, endurance, hand-eye coordination and so on, allows them to compete with what more technical people? Yeah, I would think so, I think its just athleticism in most cases helps most of those things.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yeah, and going by the same "three main aspects of fighting model," a person with lower levels of technique and athleticism can win fights through sheer aggression alone.

Also, consider the essence of stand up fighting alone. Muay thai is the most complete stand up art, and it is fundamentally a game of extremely high speed, high risk, rock-paper-scissors. Only it's knee-elbow-highkick-lowkick-stright punch-etc. And many things counter many things.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Interesting, is there a particular reason that certain techniques cancel out others? And I would presume that there are exceptions, such as the fighting equivalent of scissors being used by a very experienced fighter may beat the fighting equivalent of rock?
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
  Well first we need to define technique as the efficient application of strength and athleticism.

One good example is a straight punch as a counter to a low kick. In most cases, a straight punch to the opponents jaw will do more physical damage than the low kick you're receiving in return. It's mainly about the physical characteristics of the technique in conjunction with the ability of the athlete to apply it more efficiently than the opponent, as there are plenty of cases of someone ending fights with low kicks, even though they've been punched in the face.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Oooh, I see. So it's more along the lines of how this attack does damage in this circumstance compared to another? Not in particular that this attack will always beat out that one. Okay, I think I understand it a bit better.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yeah, fighting has an insurmountable amount of variables to be able to say that one technique will always work as a counter to another. So we have to talk in terms of percentages. Also, some people don't have the baseline athleticism to pull off certain techniques. 

One example is an escape from the thai clinch that is literally putting your hands in the opponents armpits and deadlifting them up and pushing them away. Without the certain baseline strength, it's not a technique that will work.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Ah, yeah, a vast amount of techniques are out there that I do not have the strength nor endurance to really pull off. Once I'm out of quarantine I'm actually looking forward to starting conditioning, I'm fairly out of shape.

As for the other side, yeah that also makes sense, people and techniques are very vast, so combining them would make it hard to try to quantify it beyond percentages. 
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Also, some people are so strong that they can apply it less effircently than an opponent with textbook technique and still be successful.

To quite Gordon Ryan, "Lifting is the most important thing for jiu-jitsu. The second most important is being good at jiu-jitsu."

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Do you have a recommended middle ground? Also what would you say the difference in conditioning may be between sports? I know in some obvious cases, like endurance and the like would be more emphasized in cross-country and track when compared to football, stuff like that, but what would be like some fundamental differences there? If you don't mind my asking
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
I'm not sure what you mean by middle ground, so I can't answer that exactly. 

I have played a few sports in my time, and really it boils down to practicing fundamental techniques and improving relevant athleticism for greater technical efficiency.

But there is some martial arts specific conditioning that isn't necessarily athletic. Shin conditioning by thai fighters is a good example. Kicking a hard bony part of a person like the knee hurts, so fighters will condition their bones to be harder and their nerves to be deadened so that when they throw a low kick and it gets checked, it doesn't feel like they just broke their shin bone.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
By middle ground, I meant between my state of not conditioning and not over conditioning, as in overworking myself. 

So the conditioning is just dependent on the sport, and the physical improvement is more of a side effect of developing technical skills?
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Our bodies will adapt to the demands we put on them. So if you want to be reasonably athletic, doing some burpees and pullups every day will get you there. But if you train with killers every day, you will adapt to that environment also.

It's more what you mean when you say conditioning. In boxing, we do lots of functional training (jump rope, calisthenics) before we do bag work or sparring. And it all comes together for you in the ring. If you haven't been training relevant athleticism, it'll show when the technique isn't very efficient.

67 days later

Jasmine
Debates: 4
Jasmine
-->
@Theweakeredge
People play sports because it's fun.

85 days later

Nevets
Debates: 35
Nevets
The first rule of sport is that it be a game. This could also include fighting, which would be sport at its most extreme. 

Sport should be won by the participant that has displayed the most skill and physical ability, and this is ultimately true with fighting were you would expect the person with the most skill and physical ability to win the fight.

Sport should also be entertaining to spectators, and from the school playground to Roman amphitheatres nothing has thrilled crowds more than the spectacle of sport at its most ultimate. The most ultimate being a good old fashioned fight.

Sport can be participated in at an individual level, or as part of a team. Team sport at its most ultimate would be mob fighting, which if legal would draw in far bigger crowds than two individuals fighting. Possibly the closest thing we currently have to mob fighting might be tag team wrestling.

Sport usually has more than one participant and is usually part of a tournament set up such as a league or knock out competition. The objective is to win the tournament and be announced champion in that field. Taken to the ultimate, the objective would be to be named hardest person in the world.

In order to excel at sport you usually require key attributes such as athleticism and dexterity, and also intelligence. It is inconclusive which attributes outweigh the other. Sometimes a person with lots of experience and intelligence may defeat a person with lots of physical ability and athleticism. on other occasions a person with lots of physical ability and athleticism may be too much for a person with lots of experience and intelligence to handle. Taken to the ultimate there is only one way to resolve this dispute and that is to get in the ring.

However, usually what seperates sports from illegal fighting is the adherence to rules and customs. Real fighting has no rules and no customs and the winner can only be decided when one surrenders, is incapable of continuing or people from the crowd have intervened.

The downside of rules and customs is that we are not always getting a true reflection of what would actually happen without the intervention of a referee. 

Sport should also usually come with a reward for the winner. With rules and customs that reward is usually a trophy for the winner and medals for the runners up. Taken to the most ultimate sport would be a gamble between two participants betting on themselves with the winner taking everything and loser losing his/her money. Though under current rules and regulations this would be considered illegal unless the bet is placed in a licensed premises. Two individuals putting money in to a pot with a winner takes all agreement is the equivalent of pool sharking. Something which goes on regularly in most pubs with a pool table.

Football has likely became the most popular sport as it contains elements of every single attribute you could think of which are required to participate in sport.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Theweakeredge
Male competition for the most part. Boys need to have a way to deal with their hormones, when they can't go to war or hunt.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@janesix
You do realize that females also have testosterone, right?
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Theweakeredge
Sure. But you get the general idea.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Sum1hugme
But there is some martial arts specific conditioning that isn't necessarily athletic. Shin conditioning by thai fighters is a good example. Kicking a hard bony part of a person like the knee hurts, so fighters will condition their bones to be harder and their nerves to be deadened so that when they throw a low kick and it gets checked, it doesn't feel like they just broke their shin bone.
Actually the Muay Thai fighter tends to 'knee the shin' as opposed to the way around you are describing. The part of the knee at the very top of the shin, just below the knee-cap is where they toughen their muscle so their 'funny bone' doesn't react as strong. 

The 'knee-kick' is much more of a Krav Maga move.

Tae Kwon Do, Karate and Kung Fu aim to avoid leg-to-leg kicking as they want to use the legs to kick the upper body at crucial points, in general.

I'm not sure about Jiu Jitsu or other variations of martial arts.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@RationalMadman
While there's a bunch of ways to check leg kicks, it  is more technically sound to check leg kicks with the bonier part of the shin towards the bottom. Less soft, and hurts the opponent more. Shin conditioning isn't about toughening muscle, but instead toughening the bone itself through the process of microfractures and the subsequent repair, the bone heals back stronger until Muay thai fighters have weapons for shins.

The technique you're referring to, where the kick is met higher on the shin, towards the knee, is a way of checking body kicks. It's an innate problem with how high up the leg has to go in order to check a body kick with the shin.

The 'knee-kick' is much more of a Krav Maga move.

Not sure if you're referring to the "high check",  kicking the actual knee, or striking with the knee. 

Tae Kwon Do, Karate and Kung Fu aim to avoid leg-to-leg kicking as they want to use the legs to kick the upper body at crucial points, in general.

As a green belt in TKD, I can confirm that leg kicks are not allowed in sparring, which was always a hindrance imo. However, they teach you to kick with the foot, which I can say from experience, and from watching many fights, is a bad idea. In TKD sparring I used to hurt my foot on the opponent's elbow when throwing body kicks; and in actual fighting, I bruised and swelled my foot badly from accidentally striking the opponent's knee with a round kick that I landed with the top of my foot.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Theweakeredge
Sports are competition and ability,
Though there's a heavy cultural focus on the physical aspect.

Football, golf, Video Games, Chess.