Banning Homework

Author: XLAV

Total: 13
XLAV
Debates: 0
XLAV
I heard from my uncle who lives in Australia that in Australia some schools banned homeworks. It surprised me because here in the Philippines there's no talk of banning homework what so ever. 

Personally I hate doing homework and I wish there's a homework ban here too, lol.

Thoughts? Do you think homework is a good thing?

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Homework is necessary to ensure that students understand the core concepts covered by the class before the exams. The only alternative is that the homework be done in class, in which case either the school day would be longer or there'd be less time for lectures, in which case the school year would end with students having learned less.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
The only thing I learned in school that mattered was how vicious people can be to eccentrics.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
I've concede to homework being dumb. Most of the time people goof off or lose focus during class so they retain less. Homework is a way to solve that, study show
XLAV
Debates: 0
XLAV
-->
@Swagnarok
@Vader
Problem is those who slack off usually can just copy off from their classmates. I guess homework will help those who are studious but not everyone. 
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@XLAV
When they copy answers, they use the homework to study for the test. Yes they didn't get it themselves but they still found a way to get it despite it being the wrong way. If they study those answers and write the correct answers in when you get it checked in, you score better because you have a reference. 

Username
Debates: 9
Username
I wouldn't abolish it. I hate doing it, though. 

10 days later

nmvarco
Debates: 19
nmvarco
Homework is one of the fundamental pillars of education and without students would not learn anything. Yes, I agree, homework is sometimes a bore. But simply having the teacher tell you “this is what happened” does not accomplish anything.

274 days later

LordLuke
Debates: 1
LordLuke
It's terrible.
I would agree with RationalMadman, you don't learn a thing in school, you might as well educate yourself.

LordLuke
Debates: 1
LordLuke
Hee hee I just noticed, "274 days later."
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@XLAV
I would let the experiment take place in other countries before testing it here.

Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
I don't think homework is the problem, but rather, tests themselves.

We all tend to forget most of what we memorized after a test, whereas with homework, it's easier because people can help each other.

292 days later

User_2006
Debates: 50
User_2006
I am certainly too late here, and I am in quarantine. 

Homework should be changed so it could be better. It should not be banned. If you are telling me that you are not doing anything at home, would that be practical?