The Ego

Author: Danielle

Total: 10
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
What is "ego" and why do some folks believe it is something bad?
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Danielle
Lexico defines Ego as the following:

NOUN egos

A person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.
‘he needed a boost to his ego’

1.1 Psychoanalysis The part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity.
Compare with id and superego
‘Jung also found that in practice both anima and animus act in dreams and in the imagination as mediators of the unconscious to the ego, so providing a means for inner as well as outer adaptation.’

1.2 Philosophy (in metaphysics) a conscious thinking subject.
‘In this being the empirical ego has its origin, and through ethical conduct it returns to its source.’

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Danielle
If your asking why some people believe colloquial ego-ism is bad, I presume your asking why arrogance or pride is bad. I don't think pride is necessarily bad, though religious interference may have been a reason for people believing it to be bad. Arrogance often leads to faulty reasoning, uncalled for disregard for people and their arguments, etc, etc..

Of course thats just a short thought from me, what do you think?
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Danielle
It's always talked about by self-important people that think they've gone past their egos so they are out of the system therefore it's better... i think that's all crap. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Danielle
Because it's usually associated with an overaccentuated self, too much of anything ain't good lol. Ever known anyone with a "big" ego? possibly self-absorbed?
There's difference in references too, as the ego associated with spirituality which often refers to a persons identity or personality, and too much of that ain't good either. In spirituality it's also good practice to "let go" more and more of the self to allow for a more sacrificial attitude/nature, a more wholistic understanding and perception of things. Basically, the "ego" can get in the way, get in the way of what depends on what we are referring to.
The ego is needed obviously, but it's when it becomes an obstacle or over pronounced is when it's frowned upon.

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
The ego is good. Reality depends on it. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
Generally i think there are pros and cons to a colloquial ego, and a philosophical ego is needed ya know for logic in general.

38 days later

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Danielle
i { ego } is Metaphyisical-1 { spirit-1 }, mind/intellect/conceptual abstraction

ego = i .....self identity listens and feeds back to self and  others with neutral fixation on self or others first or 2nd.......

Ego = I......I comes first, and feedback others is always 2ndary....

EGO = I...narccistist....I is above  all others  and feedback to self defines reality that reduces all others to lesser significance always......

>>>>>Past>>>Arrow-of-time>>>>>In( * ) i ( * )Out>>>Arrow-of-time>>>>>>Future>>>>>>

................................................Space( * ) i ( * )Space.....................................................

<<<<<Flow-of-Time.<<<<S.....Out..( * ) i ( * )<<<In<<<<<<<<Flow-of-Time<<<<<Future<<<<
Jasmine
Debates: 4
Jasmine
-->
@Danielle
They're jealous of their confidence.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
The ego is just a part of our consciousness. It is only a problem when it takes over one's personality and is used to make one seem more than they are.  A balanced ego isn't called ego, but in psychology that is still what it is, ego.