Sum1hugme
  From where do you derive your ethics?
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Sum1hugme
From where do you derive your ethics?

Myself, from experience (learning) and from extrinsic influence.
I don't believe there is a single answer, some are innate some are extrinsic and much is from experience. Things change a lot with age as well, because experience and maturity plays a big role in ethics and how a person will eventually conduct themselves.

Remembering that ethics are a persons moral principles and behavior they can be negative or positive.

I think that compassion and empathy are innate, that also means that selfishness can be innate as well as apathy. Here a person will discover which one they wish to work more with. I think compassion naturally co-exists with the inner conscious being. Of course I'm not a materialist so I don't believe we are reduced to a series of impulses and neural brain activity. I believe in the soul (not to get off topic). 

I think when it comes to behaviors that are learned obviously they are from experience....what bad I could do to you I don't want done to me so it's better not to do it, so on and so forth...

I believe when it comes to much more subtle attributes, ethics and strong character there could be an extrinsic influence.... an external source or perhaps a mentor. These are things one could do that no one would ever really notice if you did them or not. So in this category I think an extrinsic factor plays a big role. 
I don't necessarily need anyone to tell me how to act, though I may need an influence to deepen my understanding and resolve. 
I could give examples for each, but maybe you know what I mean.

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Logic, me, humans, etc, etc
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@EtrnlVw
@Theweakeredge
How much should consequences matter when weighing the moral value of an action?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
A good deal
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Utility > Duty ?
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Sum1hugme
How much should consequences matter when weighing the moral value of an action?

It should matter a great deal, but the more subtle actions are going to be dependent upon a persons understanding of the world and their recourse or resolve. 
Questions like "who's watching, who cares, what does it really matter, who does it matter to, why should it matter, is this even important, to whom is it important?" are going to vary greatly among different people. 

61 days later

PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@Sum1hugme
They have to come from a necessary being - God - to be made sense of. Other than that, all you have is what is preferable. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Are you asking if the utility of an action is worth more than a moral obligation? The moral obligation that you have is based on the moral utility of a thing or action.