Evidence for the Christian god?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 5
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
If the Christian god didn't exist, how did the pope get into power?  The bible says Jesus promoted Saint Peter.  Science has yet to provide an alternative answer.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@TheUnderdog
If the Roman Catholic teaching of Peter being assigned as the first Pope in Matthew 16 was true, then the rest of the New Testament would clearly support this fact. But what we have instead is the complete opposite. None of the other apostles recognized Peter as the leader, and they all pointed to Christ Jesus as that "rock" upon which the church was to be built. So no, Peter was NOT the first "pope" or leader of the Christian church. But Simon Magus, the leader of the Pagan Church at that time fits perfectly as being the one who brought Paganism and Christianity together, which resulted in the Roman Catholic Church.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
Yep. I'm sure there's a whole load of logic in there somewhere.....Just can't put my finger on it though.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@TheUnderdog
Wow!

Hi TheUnderdog.

I believe in the Christian God. Yet I think that the pope got into power initially because he set out to do it and it happened.  Like most people, it did not happen immediately but took a significant amount of time. Nevertheless, it is also true that the pope does not have the same power he once did. Not even in his own church. 

Personally, I don't think there was any evidence in the NT that Peter even went to Rome. And certainly, when Paul wrote his epistles, and particularly his letter to the Romans, he does not address Peter. And this would be very awkward indeed if Peter really had been appointed to a particular place.  It would be insulting. 

The Orthodox Church and the Protestant Church does not recognize the papacy.  The OC (well some parts anyway) does not recognize the RC as a church.  The Protestant Churches are mixed in their views of the pope.  They range from the pope is the anti-Christ to he is the head of the Roman Church. 

As far as I am concerned the papacy could die out and it would not have any impact upon the reality of God. 
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@TheUnderdog
AD POPULUM!!! That's a fallacy that you just employed btw, how did the pope get into power? Incredulous people, they are everywhere.