let's talk technology

Author: seldiora

Total: 21
seldiora
Debates: 158
seldiora
what's new with tech? I haven't been caught up lately despite my usual interest. This subsection has been the most dead so I'm trying to revive it.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@seldiora
i suppose the new generation of consoles
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@seldiora
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201104143644.htm

9 days later

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@seldiora
Have you heard about GPT3?

Also, RISC chips now outperform X86 (which might put intel out of business).
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
I expect that Intel already have something new up their sleeve....If they haven't, then they will inevitably go out of business....

It's the nature of  technological evolution....It's not going to hang about waiting for slow coaches to catch up.

11 days later

Username
Debates: 9
Username
I'm worried about the future advancement of tech. It doesn't seem like it plans on stopping its development any time soon... That's probably bad
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Intel was overconfident and painted themselves into a corner.

It's exactly the same warning Feyerabend tried to give Popper.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Username
I'm worried about the future advancement of tech.
I believe you are an AI bot.

If you are an AI bot, please deny you are an AI bot.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Quantum Computing.  Rather than store information using bits represented by 0s or 1s as conventional digital computers do, quantum computers use quantum bits, or qubits, to encode information as 0s, 1s, or both at the same time. This superposition of states—along with the other quantum mechanical phenomena of entanglement and tunneling—enables quantum computers to manipulate enormous combinations of states at once.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@FLRW
Quantum Computing.  Rather than store information using bits represented by 0s or 1s as conventional digital computers do, quantum computers use quantum bits, or qubits, to encode information as 0s, 1s, or both at the same time. This superposition of states—along with the other quantum mechanical phenomena of entanglement and tunneling—enables quantum computers to manipulate enormous combinations of states at once.
I also lets you crack any keyboard based password instantly.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@3RU7AL
Yes, Chinese scientists claim to have built a quantum computer that is able to perform certain computations nearly 100 trillion times faster than the world’s most advanced supercomputer, representing the first milestone in the country’s efforts to develop the technology.
The researchers have built a quantum computer prototype that is able to detect up to 76 photons through Gaussian boson sampling, a standard simulation algorithm, the state-run Xinhua news agency said, citing research published in Science magazine. That’s exponentially faster than existing supercomputers.
The breakthrough represents a quantum computational advantage, also known as quantum supremacy, in which no traditional computer can perform the same task in a reasonable amount of time and is unlikely to be overturned by algorithmic or hardware improvements, according to the research.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@FLRW
Next stop, Artificial General Intelligence.

Username
Username
-->
@3RU7AL
I believe you are an AI bot.

If you are an AI bot, please deny you are an AI bot.
What?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Username
I'm worried about the future advancement of tech.
I'm worried about the current advancement of tech.
Username
Username
-->
@3RU7AL
I'm worried about the current advancement of tech.

ok
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Username
I'm not worried about the advancement of tech.

It was always going to happen.....The creation and evolution of matter, as it were.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@seldiora
The Weyl Fermion is hybrid fermion and boson.

For those who already understand, that until 2015, humans knew that  the Universe was composed of only two kind of observed particles, fermions { see Enrico Fermi } and bosons { some indian dude  I offerring  the following sellected portioned excerpt --from Quora web forum--   from a historical perspective of the electron.

...." This picture was called the Dirac sea, and Dirac proposed that you could excite one of the negative energy electrons out of the sea, leaving behind a hole in the sea, which would have a positive charge. Eventually it was understood that the natural interpretation of the negative energy solutions is that they correspond to perfectly ordinary positive energy particles having the same mass as the electron, but having the opposite charge, called positrons. Soon after Dirac wrote down his equation, positrons were actually discovered.

And now at long last I can finally describe what a Weyl fermion is. If the electron had been massless instead of massive - then I think you can see that everything I said would have had to be very different in the above discussion. There would be no Lorentz transformation that could possibly be made that could reverse the direction of an electron's momentum.

This is because a massless electron would have to be travelling at the speed of light.

In this case the helicity, defined as I described before, would be both a conserved quantity and a Lorentz invariant quantity. The chirality would coincide with it.

So there would be two possibilities for a massless electron - it could be either left chiral or right chiral, and once that decision was made it would be fixed forever. Its helicity would always be either plus or minus, and this is the kicker: its antiparticle would have the opposite helicity.".........

Go to David Kahanas comments for more of the historical perspective at following LINK

Ive read elsewhere that this discovery will make quantum computing technology much more readily available much sooner, since these hybrid  electrons exist in more more use-able semi-metallic crystalline structure. 

So from something else I read preivously Diracs sea requried four equations to satisfy both conservation and lorentz invariance, for the electron, and now, with the hybrid electron { fermionn-boson } only two equations are needed.

If you look through history of huge discoveries that made truly changed human society, there are fsix primary ones;

1} abacus counting tool,

2} phonetics,

3} Hindu-Arabic { sifr/ziphra } numeral system, ergo the non-counting place holder zero arose and most  likely as resultant of the abacus tool that has a zero column,

4} printing press,

5} E = mc^2  --and may be the provide the quickest way for the end humanties existence on Earth---

6} electronic digital computing based on a binary on-of system.

The hybrid electron may turn out to be one such technological discovery and may provide the answers --via scenario models-- for humanities continued longer term existence on Earth.

10 days later

K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@ebuc
If you look through history of huge discoveries that made truly changed human society, there are fsix primary ones;

1} abacus counting tool,

2} phonetics,

3} Hindu-Arabic { sifr/ziphra } numeral system, ergo the non-counting place holder zero arose and most  likely as resultant of the abacus tool that has a zero column,

4} printing press,

5} E = mc^2  --and may be the provide the quickest way for the end humanties existence on Earth---

6} electronic digital computing based on a binary on-of system.

The hybrid electron may turn out to be one such technological discovery and may provide the answers --via scenario models-- for humanities continued longer term existence on Earth.

I'm curious, why did you choose these for your list? If I were to name six "huge discoveries that made truly changed human society," it would probably be more like

1. Domestication of animals
2. Agriculture/irrigation
3. Metal-making and metalworking
4. Printing Press (really writing in general, but the printing press scaled things up exponentially)
5. Industrialisation and mass production techniques (i.e., large numbers of factory-made goods that are standardized in shape and size)
6. Harnessing of electricity.

That would just be the first six really important ones. I would also probably mention:
1. Physics in general- Newton proved that the universe had universal laws. Post-Newtonian (Relativity and quantum models) physics will continue to be important to future discoveries.
2. The computer- I'm not super knowledgeable about the nuance and history of how computers were developed, but this has without a doubt changed the world.
3. Electronic communications- telegrams and telephones united the world
4. Flight- also united the world
5. Space travel- though still in development, this one will almost definitely play a large role in humanity's future. 
6. AI- Also still developing, bound to be a big gamechanger.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@K_Michael
Abacus was precursor to Algebra and universe use of Arabic numeral system.  Oldest know abcus's found in China had 13 columns. That is trillions.

You cant do complicated math with Roman numerals.  It was the Moors of northen Africa who brought Arabic numearl system to Europeans

Phonetics --sea-going phonician peples--  also took us out of pictographic era  into universal common language even tho many at that time found it a confusing tower of babylon.

We agree on printing press.

All of my above were one Bucky Fuller wrote about in "Critical Path" and perhaps in some of his other books.

E = mc^2 and industrial age may be the death toll bell for humanity.  2232, or there about is my best guess for end date fof humanity. I have thread on how I came to that date in Society.

Digital age results in exponential expansion of know-how.

The hyrid fermion may superpass all  known quantum computing technology cause of its ease of use and ability to do so much more than current quantum computing scenarios.

Again most of the above is associated with Fullers thoughts.  They all have two common threads counting and communication. Zero was key to counting that does so much more than Roman numerals could even begin to accomplish.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@ebuc
Thanks for the explanation. It seems to me that a lot of yours were really aimed at the furtherment of math and the pure sciences, whereas mine resulted in large changes in day-to-day life for the entire population. It's interesting that we thought of different things.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@K_Michael
Without counting and specificall more complex multiplication and division, much of what you consider is not possible.

Sea-people navigation involves trigonmetry.  The difficulty with Roman Numerals is non-surmountale to complex calculations of multiplication, division etc and they are all fundamentals of trigonmetry.

The greatest of ancient scientist/mathematician/inventor was Archimedes --in great city of learning/knowledge Alexandry { that Romans burnt down 3 times }---who approximated Pi with geometric processes.

Phonetics  { phonecian sea-peoples } > printing press { mass-production } > mass eduecational knowldege spread, that includes counting language that preceded written language y thousands of years.

I am not a math person i.e. math is a struggle for me, so in this following LINK, It is a huge struggle and my eyes and brain gloss over. The point of it for me, in sending to you, is the connection between geometry and numerical math.