"Thy will, be done".

Author: Stephen

Total: 11
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
 What actually is  "the will"  to be done?   

How is the  "will "  to be  done on earth?

How is the "will" done in Heaven.

And by whom is the "will" being done, on earth?

How long does it take to carry out this "will" of the "father"? 

Matthew 6:9-13                                                                                                                                                                       Luke 11:2-4 

9 After this manner therefore pray ye:                                                                                               2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say,                                       
Our Father which art in heaven,                                                                                                           Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Hallowed be thy name.                                                                                                                            Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, 
10 Thy kingdom come,                                                                                                                             as in heaven, so in earth.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.                                                                                   3 Give us day by day our daily bread.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.                                                                                                    4 And forgive us our sins;
12 And forgive us our debts,                                                                                                                   for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us.
as we forgive our debtors.                                                                                                                      And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
13 And lead us not into temptation,                                                                                                     
 but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory, for ever.
Amen.

Not unusual the other two of the four gospellers probably  don't think it important enough to include this "prayer"   taught by Jesus in their own version of events as they do  leave out other episodes in the Jesus story..    Interesting though that all four gospels close with the word - Amen as does only one of the two versions of "the lords prayer". 
Stephen
Stephen
Can no one explain the " will" in  this prayer?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Stephen
Can no one explain the " will" in  this prayer?

The answer is as various as there are people saying the prayer, since the will of God would be different and specific to each individual person saying the prayer no? what is the will of God for each individual? I don't think that is answerable, which is why it doesn't need to be specific in this template for prayer.

For example, every day I make hundreds of choices, perhaps thousands. Some important others not so important. I would imagine that the gravity of each choice would determine the importance of God's will being done. As Jesus also said "let not thine will, but your will be done". That's sort of the attitude I believe is to be expressed as we carry out our decisions in our day to day activities. And as I mentioned, the more salient the choice, the more significance in allowing for God's will to be done. I imagine that it's not always known what God's will is to be done in any given scenario, the importance is allowing for such an opportunity. And that simply involves a persons attitude and willingness. Whether or not they end up doing the will of God is immaterial to the point behind Jesus' prayer, which is to at least acknowledge the option.

As we read further along in the chapter it says...
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

It's the same principle involved. It just means to put God first in all that you do and decide, and hopefully in doing so the will of God may be done. Again, the will of God is specific to any given scenario, so it needs not to be answered as it apples to many things not just one thing.

No one knows, until a choice is to be made. That's why it just says, "thy will be done." There's a will for each decision to be made, I can do my will or God's will...

It's carried out in any given scenario, depends on the choice being made. The objective is to be open to it and ask God, whether or not you get it right 100% of the time is irrelevant.

It's just an analogous sentiment, meaning that the thing God would want you to choose is the same thing God would want for both heaven and earth.

It's carried out by the individual, again which is specific to each choice being made. Some more important than others. For example, someone pisses me off and I want to punch them in the face, or someone lied about me and now I have to get even...perhaps your girlfriend cheated on you and now you're going to do something bad. Well God's will in each scenario might be different than your will in each scenario, so that's where we have to learn how to let go and ask before we react. What is your will God in this moment and choice? do I do what I want or do I ask God what to do first?

It depends on how long you reflect on the choice being made, and how long you wait until you feel there is a sufficient resolution. 
The point being, is to reduce the reaction of what I want, and reflect more on what God would want me to do. 
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
We are all eagerly awaiting your inspired wisdom.  There is no point in responding, you have the answers. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
We are all eagerly awaiting your inspired wisdom.  There is no point in responding, you have the answers. 

So after thousands of years!!!!! of repeating one or the other version of this mantra, you don't have clue as to ; What actually  is  "the will"  to be done?   

Or How the  "will "  is to be  done on earth?

OR How  the "will" is done in Heaven.

OR  by whom  the "will" is to be or  being done, on earth?

OR How long  it takes to carry out the "will" of the "father"?

And no one should be surprised.

you have the answers. 

I don't, that is why I am asking YOU, Reverend. 

YOU should be able to answer this simple question with all of your self confessed qualifications and background of  high education and titles of being both a Pastor AND a Chaplin  in matters of religion. So many strings to one bow,  #57  . It is after all,  YOU that your university students  turn to  because of your  "proper accreditation"  of god " inspired wisdom" no to mention your " Pastoral care " isn't it?

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Why would I want to answer Stephen, when you are clearly the font of all wisdom? 

You don't need any assistance from me.   

Besides,  you would disagree with me anyway.  So there is no point in engaging with the topic. After all, I am sure your answer is going to top anything I have to add. 

Hence why I am waiting for your inspired words. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
Why would I want to answer Stephen, when you are clearly the font of all wisdom? 
No one  will be surprised by your evasive response Reverend. Especially me. 

Like I have said, after thousands of years repeating this Mantra from Jesus himself  YOU  don't have a clue what "his will" actually is. Or how the  "will "  is to be  done on earth?

OR How  the "will" is done in Heaven. OR  by whom  the "will" is to be or  being done, on earth? OR How long  it takes to carry out the "will" of the "father"?

Besides,  you would disagree with me anyway. 

My, my, your god has endowed you with many strings hasn't he?   You even now believe you know what I am thinking. But you maybe right.  So what? 

So there is no point in engaging with the topic.
I didn't drag you here Reverend. You came of your own accord, as you always do.  I am perfectly happy to be left alone to highlight all of these biblical anomalies, ambiguous verses and half stories that are riddled throughout the scriptures. And you are free to leave.

After all, I am sure your answer is going to top anything I have to add. 
You'll never know  though even if I  did have something to "top you " will you.

Hence why I am waiting for your inspired words. 

They are questions Reverend. I didn't start this thread by saying I will or can  answer my own questions if no one else can.

And please remember just for once, that it was you that came here with sarcasm  intended to offend.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
When the intent of your posting is not to obtain knowledge but to negatively criticize, then I have a right to offend. Yet I am not offended so there is no motive or desire to offend you. 

After all, you are the great font of all wisdom.  Please show us your wares.  
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
When the intent of your posting is not to obtain knowledge...

The sole reason that people ask questions is to  "obtain knowledge", Reverend  Your just too frightened of that fact that one question will lead to another  leaving  yourself in yet another great big hole to climb out of.  I have lost count of how many times you have shot yourself in the foot. 

And you  must have missed  my short list of questions then Reverend:
 here you are

but to negatively criticize,

Do you mean  by  me just using "words that are just words that can't do anything" ? Or was it your other pearl of wisdom that you shared with the forum  that :

"Words are words. And that is all they are".   #45 

And your forgetting that this thread is actually my thread ,  that you have joined AGAIN, Reverend.  I didn't drag you here.

then I have a right to offend. Yet I am not offended so there is no motive or desire to offend you. 
Your sole intention on this thread so far have been to offend and   with no intention of addressing the subject matter. But like everything else in your  empty, miserable life, you have failed, AGAIN. 

Yet I am not offended

Your whining and whinging and  allegations that I have  "mocked  " attacked"  "humiliated"  and accusations of "harassing and stalking"  you  simply for quoting you, are well and truly documented to the contrary.  And  I don't doubt that before long you will throw up these same old allegations again, when you run out of replies and or answers.

After all, you are the great font of all wisdom.  Please show us your wares.  

This thread - MY THREAD is a thread of questions about "gods will" , Reverend. You keep ignoring that fact. I haven't come to show anything,   but to have something revealed to me.

Now you may as well leave . Your attempts  to offend me using  ridicule have failed as have your veiled childish insults. 

That after 2,020 years you have  not a clue between you all -  that  is what I would  call quite offensive.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
That old hairy chestnut again.  

I do not think Words in the Bible can cause people to become homophobic.  

You have asserted it. Not me. 

You refuse to admit that provocative clothing worn by females which is visible and much more overt is able to cause men to assault them but are prepared to suggest that words in a book which are far less read and even less overt have the power to cause people to become homophobic. 

I think that words and clothing are unable to cause such things. People respond to words and people respond to clothing. This is the product of them as people and how they choose to respond is a personal matter.  Their response is not caused by clothing and it is not caused by words.  Words and clothing are unable to cause anything - because unless words and clothing CAUSE the exact same response in everyone - then the cause is not the words and the clothing but the person responding.  

If some people rape and some people do not - then what is the cause? Is it the clothing or the individual response? And if some people become homophobic and some people don't then is it the words or the individual response? 

My view is that the individual is responsible. Not the clothing - and not the words. 

14 days later

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Tradesecret
That after 2,020 years you have  not a clue between you all...
Is it me or does every single one of Stephens threads end with him making this conclusion no matter what replies he gets?

Why does a person not get bored posting the same lame thread and making the same lame conclusion over and over?