-->
@Wagyu
Any fantasy concept can be legit.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@zedvictor4
considering I've MET satanists, yeahhhhhh....
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
??

As have I, they were legitimately some of the nicest people I have ever met.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Theweakeredge
I'm saying they're legit to Zedvector. Don't mean to implicate they aren't nice people.

Although of course, I think at its root their religion is detestable, but religion is one component of many in a person.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
Mm, overthrowing a violent oppressor? Seems legit to me.

I think most religions are harmful, and I regard Satanism as one of the less harmful ones, so... yeah.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Theweakeredge
meh, agree to disagree
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
Fair enough
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@MisterChris
You might have  met people who refer to themselves as satanists....Just another bunch of people with fantasy concepts in their heads.

And any associated activity is just typically contrived, ritualistic baloney.

No extra-terrestrial, super-natural, fantasy beings actually required.....Just wild imagination.
Wagyu
Debates: 9
Wagyu
-->
@zedvictor4
What you have said is unfair. For you to support, I presume, Christianity whilst making attacks on Satanism is absurd. I can say Christianity is a "bunch of people with fantasy concepts in their heads" which I personally believe, without the undertone of aggression, to be true. 

I recommend you reconsider attacking a belief on the basis that it is "wild imaginations" whilst standing up for Christianity. I can easily say Christianity is just a bunch of lunatics of whom have been corrupted by a belief with no support. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Wagyu
By traditional standards I'm atheist.

As far as I am concerned, the same applies to all concept based belief systems.....But in this case, specifically satanism.

Wagyu
Wagyu
-->
@zedvictor4
By traditional standards I'm atheist.
Interesting, considering you've completed a few theist related debates. 

As far as I am concerned, the same applies to all concept based belief systems.....But in this case, specifically satanism.
You clearly do not know what Satanism is. We do not worship the devil the same way theists worship God. Here's a short description provided by Wikipedia. 

LaVeyan Satanism is an atheistic religion founded in 1966 by the American occultist and author Anton Szandor LaVey. Scholars of religion have classified it as a new religious movement and a form of Western esotericism.

LaVey was an atheist, rejecting the existence of all gods.[32] LaVey and his Church do not espouse a belief in Satan as an entity who literally exists,[33] and LaVey did not encourage the worship of Satan as a deity.[34] Instead, the use of Satan as a central figure is intentionally symbolic.[35] LaVey sought to cement his belief system within the secularist world-view that derived from natural science, thus providing him with an atheistic basis with which to criticize Christianity and other supernaturalist beliefs.[36]He legitimized his religion by highlighting what he claimed was its rational nature, contrasting this with what he saw as the supernaturalist irrationality of established religions.[37]

In essence, it's pretty much a joke. But nevertheless, I would appreciative if Satanism was added as a religion. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Wagyu
O.K.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@MisterChris
I think at its root their religion is detestable
In what way? As far as I know I have never met a Satanist so I will withhold judgement but you seem to have strong feelings on the topic so must have good reason.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Mostly comes from my Christian background. People swearing idealistic allegiance to the one being responsible for all the world's suffering is something to be detested. Not to mention their beliefs: "encouraging materialism, egoism, stratification, carnality, ... and social Darwinism." It's a dangerous philosophy to spread. 

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
Founded on April 30, 1966 c.e. by Anton Szandor LaVey, we are the first above-ground organization in history openly dedicated to the acceptance of Man’s true nature—that of a carnal beast, living in a cosmos that is indifferent to our existence. To us, Satan is the symbol that best suits the nature of we who are carnal by birth—people who feel no battles raging between our thoughts and feelings, we who do not embrace the concept of a soul imprisoned in a body. He represents pride, liberty, and individualism—qualities often defined as Evil by those who worship external deities, who feel there is a war between their minds and emotions.

Not to mention, you admit it's based on biases (your view of it), and that tacked on descriptor "Social Darwinism" isn't actually something Satanists (Modern) believe in or practice. Using your own source, we discover that the primary source of information you have used is the Church of Satan (Probably not what the OG poster was talking about, but I can roll with it.) 

"Contemporary religious practice of Satanism began with the founding of the Church of Satan in 1966"

Therefore, instead of using Wikipedia's weird summation, I'll just go to the actual website and learn about its principles from there. 

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
  2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
  3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
  4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
  5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
  6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
  7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
  8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
  9. Do not harm little children.
  10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
  11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

Now there is some pretty obvious hyperbole, and some problems, lets not pretend there isn't, but some of the specific accusations you levied at it, are factually untrue. However, let's also stop pretending that this is what people are talking about whenever they say, "Satanist" in a modern context. There is clearly a group that we can more accurately describe as the majority of Satanists, and the Satanists we are actually talking about, the Satanic Temple:

For the people who don't understand undertone, yes, the next bit is satirical. 

"The group uses Satanic imagery to promote egalitarianismsocial justice, and the separation of church and state. Their stated mission is "to encourage benevolence and empathy among all people""

Oh? Benevolence and Empathy? Truly! The scum of the earth! They must be stopped before they teach our children to treat everyone with respect and kindness! Oh no! The absolute indignation! No other philosophy could compare to the legitimate danger that this one promotes!! Clearly, Christianity is superior to this ludicrous mockery and perversion of religion! Separation of church and state? How dare they?! Are they trying to undermine the clear theocracy that the USA is?!

"The Satanic Temple has utilized satire, theatrical ploys, humor, and legal action in their public campaigns to "generate attention and prompt people to reevaluate fears and perceptions", and to "highlight religious hypocrisy and encroachment on religious freedom".[7][8][9][10]"

Satire? Are they trying to confuse everyone into a gibbering mess?! Do they want to confuse future leaders?! Even more diabolical, LEGAL ACTION??? DO THEY REALLY HAVE THE NERVE!!! To continue on the heinous trainwreck we have people wanting to reevaluate their fears and perceptions??!!! I couldn't even consider letting go of archaic and harmful conceptions! OR ever moving on or recovering from a fear!

Truly, we must dispose of them at once
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Theweakeredge
you admit it's based on biases (your view of it)

Right. I don't like their religion because they the idealize Satan, who is literally the source of death and suffering according to what religious beliefs I have. 

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
Mmm..... right.... except you ignore the other massive bit of my objection

8 days later

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Satanism is taking oneself as being god.

It's a lot more popular than people realize. 

LaVey demystified this to a great extent, but he certainly didn't invent it.

It really isn't that strange for someone who takes themselves as god to profess atheism. 

Mopac
Mopac
Of course satanism is deluded. It's ego worship. Pride very naturally leads to delusion.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
There isn't a list of religions in the forum is there? Satanist can post there. 
Wagyu
Wagyu
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
no as in like in your profile
Mopac
Mopac
Why not add satanism?

Discordianism is totally a religion too.

The church of the sub-genius should even be recognized.

Wagyu
Wagyu
-->
@Mopac
In fact, you should be able to type your own religion
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Wagyu
I agree
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
But, according to Wagyu's source, Satanists do not accept a deity of any kind because they do not accept a presence of Satan at all; kind of like atheists. Then they are self-directed enthusiasts of upsetting all theo-carts. A perfectly acceptable position with which I disagree, but to each their own.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Wagyu
Ah ok. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
I agree.
Wagyu
Wagyu
hear that mods? get it done
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@fauxlaw
If agnostic and atheism count then definitely satanism. If you are opted to not add satanism, then ask them to remove atheism as well.