Why am I not surprised?

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 8
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge

This is a Tweet from PragerU, December 21st 2020. 

Inside is an compilation of alleged facts that are presented in a sort of argument for not removing the statues of Robert E. Lee. One of the things presented were as follows: 

"Lee led U.S Marines to crush the attempted slave rebellion by radical abolitionist John Brown in October 1859."

This was framed as a reason why we shouldn't take down the statue by the way. They try to justify the argument a little later on after trying to give some background on the issue itself, the defense is.. well:

"considered it a 'a greater evil to the white man than to the black race' since 'blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa.'"

This is a Nazi tier argument... and is very much a pro-slavery position on PragerU's part. This channel is legitimately harmful, Free Speech is one thing, but this kind of rhetoric? It is what slave owners use to employ to A) Make themselves feel better, but also B) Justify it to other people. 

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Theweakeredge
We might note that PragerU

• Is not a university but just a talk show host named Prager, the U is a lie employed to impress the gullible
  • is one of the top ten advertisers on Facebook
  • is mostly just a non-profit spokesperson for the oil industry, which funds Prageru to the tune of $25million last year alone 
"Free Speech is one thing but" sounds like the beginning of an argument I can't get behind.  Of course, PragerU is free to uphold the heroes of White Nationalism and despise the first commandment of Americanism- that all humans begin with an equal and inalienable right to liberty.  If we wish to take action, perhaps it is time to reconsider the $40 billion dollars in US taxpayer money that we dole out annually to the oil industry, some of the world's most profitable corporations and also challenge the tax-exempt status of a media maker that is entirely partisan and successfully promotes far too much false information to justify any claim of social benefit.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@oromagi
I overall agree that we shouldn't take put that much money into the oil industry, but taking it away all at once is a disaster waiting to happen, a smarter plan would be transitioning the workers and budget across fields, that way the economy is fulfilled, people don't lose their jobs and become poorer, and we can actually use that money effectively, while stopping a source of misinformation. 

Not only that, but that isn't the point. People often claim that "limiting free speech" is a slippery slope, and they are being obtuse. You're free speech is limited. Oh? You didn't know? You aren't allowed to make terroristic threats in public, and saying you will attack this or that person can also have legal charges levied against you. Whenever you are arguing in favor of human property, you will be censored. That's a hard line. 

Dismissing a claim because of a bias against specific topics is not a cogent argument.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Are you saying anything more noble than that censorship has a cause? Either you allow freedom of speech, period, as long as no one else or their property is physically harmed, or you don't, your dislike of some speech be damned. Censorship is not the answer. A thick skin and a backbone is. Y'all call it tolerance, but don't know what the word means.

As for Lee, you're willing to take him down because on one subject, abolition, he was on the wrong side? What about the rest of him? Take any hero you want, they have a bad streak. We all do. Do we take each other out for that? Or do we properly love our enemies, if for no other reason than we would prefer they love us. We are expected to forgive, or we do not deserve it ourselves. I don't like Joe Biden, but I'm not calling for his head.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Theweakeredge
Whenever you are arguing in favor of human property, you will be censored. That's a hard line. 
The Bible argues in favor of human property, should we ban the Bible?

The US Constitution argues in favor of human property, should we ban the US Constitution?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@fauxlaw
As for Lee, you're willing to take him down because on one subject, abolition, he was on the wrong side?
Of course, you know that Lee's crimes against the USofA were more serious than the mere ideology you suppose here.  One might easily argue that Lee was responsible for the violent end of  more American lives than any other person ever.  That Lee's failure to honor his oaths and  his failure to understand the fundamental rights of  humans should be fumbled by the heir to  Washington made that crime all the more tragic and heartbreaking.  Lee used Washington's estate against the very government and presidency his inheritance founded.  I think we are correct to remember Lee but as a traitor grudgingly forgiven or as a murderer who has done his time,  not honored as faithful or even as friend.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@oromagi
I can accept that. My argument is that removal of his statue only serves the forgetfulness of future generations. We do not need to bury history. In fact, we're more at peril if we do bury history. It must be remembered to enable our prevention of its recurrence.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@oromagi
Yes, the bible should be banned, and the US Constitution didn't say anything about Slavery until it was literally outlawed.