Do the math...

Author: Grugore

Total: 8
Grugore
Debates: 1
Grugore
Do some historical research on the countries that outlawed guns and how many years it was before the government started shooting its citizens. You can do it without taking your shoes off.
So, if someone asks you to give up your guns, here's how you should reply...
"I'll relinquish one bullet. Where do you want it?"

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Grugore
Guns aren't outlawed here and the government is shooting citizens anyway. So what's your point?

So, if someone asks you to give up your guns, here's how you should reply...
"I'll relinquish one bullet. Where do you want it?"
Fine advice. Which law school do you go to again? The idea that an armed populace is capable of resisting a government backed by a modern military (combined with a militarized police force) hasn't been valid since the civil war.
Grugore
Grugore
-->
@drafterman
I don't see our government shooting anyone except criminals. Also, no government can rule without the consent of the people. Do you really think that our military could defeat 300 million armed citizens? If Americans ever said enough is enough, no force on earth could stop them.
drafterman
drafterman
I don't see our government shooting anyone except criminals.
Then you aren't looking hard enough. Remember that you're not a "criminal" until after you are tried and convicted in a court of law. And, in the US, there is no mechanism for summary execution without due process.

Also, no government can rule without the consent of the people.
Well that's just patently false. I'm not saying that the US is one of those governments, but they clearly exist.

Do you really think that our military could defeat 300 million armed citizens? If Americans ever said enough is enough, no force on earth could stop them.
While there is almost 1 gun per person in America, not everyone is armed. Only about 25% of Americans have a gun, and many of them are probably in the military and law enforcement professions that would be on the antagonistic side, here.

Breaking it down into realistic numbers, we're talking about 1.5 million military and law enforcement personnel versus about 80 million armed civilians.

And, of course, that's assuming that every single one of them raise up in armed rebellion.

So the question is, can a single military or police officer, with modern gear and equipment, with tanks and fighter jets and nukes, take out 50 untrained armed civilians armed with hunting rifles and purse guns?

I think so.
Grugore
Grugore
-->
@drafterman
Actually, we wouldn't even need guns. All those fancy weapons the military has need to be made by civilians. Same with parts and ammo. Civil disobedience would do the trick. The government needs us. We don't need them. If they get no support from anyone, they can do nothing. The government produces nothing. Everything they have comes from us. Also, it would not be a stand-up fight. It would be guerrilla warfare. Those tanks and jets would be mostly useless. There is also the certainty of collaborators in the military who would help us. 
drafterman
drafterman
Actually, we wouldn't even need guns.
Congratulations, you just undermined your own argument.
Grugore
Grugore
-->
@drafterman
Not necessarily. It would only work if everyone did. I'm sure there would be plenty of Democrats who would be more than happy to shit on the Constitution by helping an oppressive government.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Grugore
You don't need guns to stop a government you disagree with.

Gandhi did a pretty effective job of dismantling the British power structure.

It was a simple matter of, you want us to do what?  Um, no, we aren't going to do that.

If you shoot at the cops or attack government officials, then you are dismissed by the public as a terrorist.

If the government is forced to shoot crowds of unarmed people, they are instantly recognized as fascists.