MBTI personality types...

Author: MisterChris

Total: 44
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
Looks like I'm an ENTP.

What do you guys get for this? I'm curious.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@MisterChris
I don't really buy  into this stuff.  When I used to work for Merrill-Lynch they were really into building teams based on MBTI and the results were grimly bro-tastic.  I get different results every test.

From MBTI wikipedia page

"Most of the research supporting the MBTI's validity has been produced by the Center for Applications of Psychological Type, an organization run by the Myers-Briggs Foundation, and published in the center's own journal, the Journal of Psychological Type, raising questions of independence, bias, and conflict of interest.  Independent sources have called the test "little more than a Chinese fortune cookie", "pretty much meaningless",  "one of the worst personality tests in existence," and "the fad that won't die".

Though the MBTI resembles some psychological theories, it has been criticized as pseudoscienceand is not widely endorsed by academic researchers in the field. The indicator exhibits significant scientific (psychometric) deficiencies, notably including poor validity (i.e. not measuring what it purports to measure, not having predictive power or not having items that can be generalized), poor reliability (giving different results for the same person on different occasions), measuring categories that are not independent (some dichotomous traits have been noted to correlate with each other), and not being comprehensive (due to missing neuroticism)."

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
This isn't accurate, at all, in fact I have a study that goes into it:

In a recent review of the MBTI, commissioned by the Army Research Institute, it was concluded that the instrumentshould not be used for career planning counseling.13 The Institute's analysis of the available research showed noevidence for the utility of the test. Indeed, with respect to career planning they note that "the types may simply bean example of stereotypes." I agree.

The MBTI reminds us of the olvious truth that all people are not alike, but then claims that every person can be fitneatly into one of 16 boxes. I believe that MBTI attempts to force the complexities of human personality into anartificial and limiting classification scheme. The focus on the "typing" of people reduces the attention paid to theunique qualities and potential of each individual.

Many readers may be surprised by my interpretation and objections to such a popular test. It has been my experiencethat this reaction stems from how they view the MBTI. In many cases, the popularity of the instrument is interpretedas an indication of its accuracy and utility, which then leads to wider use and less inclination to question thefoundations of the test. As a consequence, the MBTI has become a popular instrument for reasons unrelated to itsreliability and validity.

The publishers do a very good job of promoting the test and providing support for its users. The MBTI also hasmuch intuitive appeal. The descriptions of each type are generally flattering and sufficiently vague so that most peoplewill accept the statements as true of themselves. If you tell people that they are "innovative thinkers and goodproblem solvers, and good at understanding and motivating people, but may have trouble following through ondetails of a project," they will believe that the statement is an accurate description of themselves regardless of thetruth of the statement. This phenomenon is known as the "Barnum Effect," named in honor of the great entertainer.14

Because of its apparent simplicity, the MBTI may be misused unintentionally by some people. A manager, forexample, may come to believe that only certain personality types are appropriate for specific jobs. After learningabout type, such a manager may conclude that only ISTJs make good accountants whereas the best people for thesales force will be the ESFJs.15 Thus, the type label may bias a manager's decisions on hiring, firing, evaluating, andpromoting. Similarly, employees may use type labels inappropriately. Thus, one might feel that "She's an INFP, soI will never be able to work with her on an assignment," or that "I'm an ESTP and don't do well when it comes todetails."

It has been my intention here to raise questions about the fundamental concepts that underlie the MBTI, and tocaution against undue reliance upon its use without fully investigating the accuracy of its test results. There isconsiderable more research available than I have cited that supports my allegations. My hope is that career counselorsand recruiters who use or plan to use the MBTI will review this research and take a long look at the value of usingpersonality type labels in their work.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@oromagi
Yeah, I saw that it wasn't so scientifically validated after taking it... It's kinda fun to see your results though. Just curious to see what other people get, as there's enough there that's correct about me to convince me it's at least somewhere in the ballpark. 

Out of curiosity, what would be a more scientifically validated assessment?
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yeah, I'm sure it's not anything to be taken seriously... Still fun to do though. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
That's fair, it has been a while since I actually took the test, maybe I'll take it again and see what it thinks now. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
I like the Five Factor Model, as it is the most widely accepted personality theory:

"The Big Five Model, also known as the Five-Factor Model, is the most widely accepted personality theory held by psychologists today. The theory states that personality can be boiled down to five core factors, known by the acronym CANOE or OCEAN:"

Just for some context I'll quote the summing up:

Take-home Messages
  • The Big Five personality traits are extraversion (also often spelled extroversion), agreeableness, openness, conscientiousness, and neuroticism.
  • Each trait represents a continuum. Individuals can fall anywhere on the continuum for each trait.
  • The Big Five remain relatively stable throughout most of one’s lifetime.
  • They are influenced significantly by both genes and the environment, with an estimated heritability of 50%.
  • They are also known to predict certain important life outcomes such as education and health.
The same website
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Theweakeredge
Fascinating. I wonder where you could take a credible exam using that model... Seems that the model is in the public domain, so I'd be surprised if there weren't many tests available. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris

I'm not sure if this is the most credible representation but it is one
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
It is not perfect however, and to uneducated or the undeveloped countries, the test isn't as predictive:

Why doesn’t the Big Five test hold up around the world? Lead author Rachid Laajaj, an economics researcher at the University of Los Andes in Columbiasaid many of the reasons are rooted in literacy and education barriers. Many personality tests used in WEIRD countries are intended to be self-administered, designed for people who can read and write. But because of lower literacy rates in developing countries, tests may need to be given verbally. This introduces the possibility of translation or phrasing differences that could skew results.

Researchers also think that face-to-face questioning allows social desirability bias to creep into the process. This means that respondents may try to interpret social cues for a “right answer” or give answers they think would be viewed more favorably by others. “Yea-saying,” or the tendency to agree with a statement even if it’s untrue, is also more common in developing countries, where there’s less access to education, the researchers say.

“People may have a harder time understanding abstract questions. Acquiescence bias may be accentuated when people do not fully understand, in which case it feels safer to just agree,” Laajaj said. Additionally, the idea of personality tests — or personality itself — may not be a natural concept everywhere. Understandably, people who aren’t familiar with the idea of personality testing might be a bit wary of revealing personal details about themselves. 

“Imagine that you live in a poor area and someone comes to you to ask you a bunch of questions, such as how hardworking you are, whether you get stressed easily or whether you are a polite person. If it is not common for you to fill out surveys, or if it’s not clear what will be done with it, you may, for example, care more about giving a good impression than being completely truthful,” Laajaj said.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I'd say I'm

Very low on Conscientiousness
impulsive, disorganized
High on Agreeableness
trusting, helpful
Very high on Neuroticism
anxious, pessimistic
Very high on Openness to Experience
imaginative, spontaneous
Very low on Extraversion
reserved, thoughtful

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@MisterChris
It can only be an accurate test if the testee gives accurate answers....Which is generally not the case....A. Because they do not know and B. Because they do not want to.

Though maybe the MBTI test builds this into its analysis....Which nonetheless, would still indicate a certain level of guesswork, and therefore inaccuracy.

Just another example of labelling really.

In respect of Job applicants....It is reckoned that most unsuccessful interviewees are subliminally rejected within 60 seconds of the commencement of an interview, irrespective of accompanying data.

Basically, whether or not a face fits the conditioned expectancies/bias of the interviewer/s.....Though it might be suggested that this is as good a test as any other....If not better.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
For me personally I used to get the "debater" type, can't remember what code that was specifically - retook it just now, I got INTP (logician) https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MisterChris
As for a Five Factor Test

(Using Ocean as the acronym)
High Openness
Low Conscientiousness
Mid Extraversion
Low Aggreeability
High Neuroticism

Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@MisterChris
I got ENTP - A (debater)
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Sum1hugme
I expected a lot of people to get that here. Although sounds like the test is baloney unfortunately
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Theweakeredge
Hmmm,

for me:
High openness
Lower conscientiousness
High extraversion
low agreeability
low neuroticism
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
Very low on Conscientiousness
impulsive, disorganized
High on Agreeableness
trusting, helpful
Very high on Neuroticism
anxious, pessimistic
Very high on Openness to Experience
imaginative, spontaneous
Very low on Extraversion
reserved, thoughtful
In other words, INTP.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@MisterChris
I expected a lot of people to get that here. Although sounds like the test is baloney unfortunately
Are you kidding me?

The fact that this website is loaded with ENTP types seriously validates the test.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Sum1hugme
I got ENTP - A (debater)
You're the second best type.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@3RU7AL
Next to INTJ
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Though it might be suggested that this is as good a test as any other....If not better.
The efficacy of the test can be verified by actually taking the test.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Eh... it can be fun, and its technically meh, but the fact that you continously called me ENTP or something should only show that it's really not that accurate. I got INTP upon taking it recently.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Sum1hugme
Next to INTJ
INTJ is BATMAN.

INTP is DATA.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
that you continously called me ENTP or something should only show that it's really not that accurate. I got INTP
I'm INTP but I become ENTP when I'm over-confident.

The two are only very slightly different.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Exactly, but they are framed as opposites, one of the reasons its not the most accurate in that way. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Exactly, but they are framed as opposites, one of the reasons its not the most accurate in that way. 
Who frames them as "opposites"?

Even just going by the letters, they're 75% identical.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@MisterChris
I've come up as a number of variants when I take the online test, but when I've taken the full-length study test (and yeah, I realize none of them are perfect), I get:

ISTP

In case you're wondering, the flips for the other tests came up I/E and P/J. When I took the long form, the sliders had me pretty close to the line on both of those. When I'm debating, I'm more of an ESTP, and when I'm focused on scientific research pursuits, I'm more of an ISTJ. I'm a very strong ST.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@whiteflame
When I'm debating, I'm more of an ESTP, and when I'm focused on scientific research pursuits, I'm more of an ISTJ. I'm a very strong ST.
Excellent analysis.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@3RU7AL
Thank you.