Atheists, why?

Author: janesix

Total: 10
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
Why do you atheists always deny the Christian God,and make all of your arguments against that particular God? There are many many versions of God you guys never even address. 

It seems like most atheists are deconverted Christians, whining"You're not the boss of me!"

Well?
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@janesix
They think claiming to be "usetabee" christians makes them more legitimate. Almost all of them claim to have been "devout" christians.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@janesix
Typically, especially if your describing the American atheist, its because the majority belief over here is christian. So that's what the majority of Atheists are specifically familiar with and what they engage with most regularly. That was my earlier experience as an atheist, but honestly I see a lot more arguments regarding just a general personal god these days. This is especially true of Atheists in the bible belt, whenever being exorcised because you came out to your parents as an atheist doesn't raise an eyebrow, you can guess where you are in the US aprox. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Theweakeredge
From at least my perspective, America is nominally Christian, but damn near the most overtly pagan place on Earth. As overt as a nominally Christian land can be.

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Mopac
From my experience yeah, I would agree, especially around less denomination centered places
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
Atheists do not deny a GOD principle, they simply are not conditioned to accept without unequivocal proof, a specific GOD hypothesis, such as the Christian version.

It just so happens that on this site most theists tend to have a Christian bent....Or hadn't you noticed?

Deconversion...Nice word...Though pre-set ideas tend to be what they became, rather than a deliberate alteration.  And the ritual splashing of water on a babies head is meaningless unless you back it up with ritual brainwashing........Sorry......I mean education.
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@janesix
It's really a numbers thing, there are far more Christians propping up their versions of god than there are other faiths around here. I'm willing to discuss any faith at all. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@janesix
Why do you atheists always deny the Christian God and make all of your arguments against that particular God?
They don't, but any English language site is bound to skew the conversation towards Christian examples.

There are many many versions of God you guys never even address. 
For example?

It seems like most atheists are deconverted Christians, whining"You're not the boss of me!"  Well?
deconversion is the rejection of a particular faith while Atheism rejects faith-based cosmologies generally.

whining suggests a complaint while the statement "You are not the boss of me" is generally a declaration of independence.  I think it is likely that many atheists are predisposed to both complain about and declare independence from a former religious belief much as one might complain about and declare independence from an ex-lover or estranged parent. When one loses a tooth, the tongue probes the wound obsessively unless and until a new tooth grows in.  So it goes when one loses a belief.

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@janesix
Why do you atheists always deny the Christian God,and make all of your arguments against that particular God? There are many many versions of God you guys never even address. 
If adherents of another god were injecting harmful aspects of their beliefs into my life (either directly or indirectly) moreso than Christians, then addressing that particular belief would become a priority over the Christian belief. That being said, I live in America and Christianity is the religion of choice here.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@janesix
I think it's a numbers game. That is, Christianity is the world's most dominant religion in population. In spite of our differences in specific dogma, all have Christ as the central figure of worship, and is, therefore, the primary target of atheists. The majority of them, if converted to atheism by some lack they could not fill, attempted the fill by Christianity, and failed. Thus, it becomes their boogyman. Not necessarily true of life-long atheists, nevertheless, the lifers are likely a smaller population of atheists.