I Used to be a Young-Earth Creationist AMA

Author: TheMelioist

Total: 20
TheMelioist
Debates: 0
TheMelioist
I'll admit it, I used to think the earth is 6,000 years old, that evolution was fake invention of atheist scientists, and that the Big Bang never happened. This is mostly because I was raised by Young-Earth Creationists, my parents have at least 7 Ken Ham books in Their house. But Also partly because I wasn't exposed to other forms of Christianity.  

I'm no longer a Young-Earth Creationist, and I accept evolution, the Big Bang, and the Age of the Earth (roughly 4.6 billion years).

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@TheMelioist
What made you change your views?
TheMelioist
TheMelioist
-->
@SkepticalOne
The scientific evidence for evolution, the big bang, and the age of the Earth being 4.6 billion years old. I will not go into detail about that here. 
Also, There are many biblical problems for a young earth you can find here:

My views have been mainly influenced by people like  Francis Collins (an American physician who lead the Human Genome Project), William Lain Craig (a Christian philosopher and Theologian), and Cameron Bertuzzi (maker of the Capturing Christianity YouTube channel).
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@TheMelioist
Cool I used to be an atheist, an old earther, and evolutionist and now I am not. 

I have never read Ken Ham.  

I read the bible. I re read my text books. I read Francis Collins - and I like William Lane. 

All are quite intelligent. Yet,  are part of the culture they have been raised in. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 
TheMelioist
TheMelioist
"All are quite intelligent. Yet,  are part of the culture they have been raised in. "

do you mean by this?  are you saying that the "culture" has more effect on them then the evidence? do you define "culture" by the scientific conscience? 
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@TheMelioist
Most of the claims in the video have refuted long ago
TheMelioist
TheMelioist
-->
@ronjs
how so?
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@TheMelioist
You can find refutations on the internet, such as cross examined.org,. Here they point out the dissimiarities to Christ.
TheMelioist
TheMelioist
-->
@ronjs
can you give me an exact link? it's not my job to do research to support your claims.
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@TheMelioist
Sorry, but in my experience most people are not really looking for answers, but if they are they will make the effort. 
TheMelioist
TheMelioist
-->
@ronjs
I literally could not find anything like that on cross-examined. Just provide sources man.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheMelioist
Are you still a Christian? 
TheMelioist
TheMelioist
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Yes I am
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@TheMelioist
"All are quite intelligent. Yet,  are part of the culture they have been raised in. "

do you mean by this?  are you saying that the "culture" has more effect on them then the evidence? do you define "culture" by the scientific conscience? 
No, not really, though that certainly is an implication of this thought.  Our culture has redefined "evidence".  What was once considered evidence by all is no longer considered evidence by all.  For example, in the past, affidavits were considered legitimate evidence.  But now it is only accepted as evidence by some and not at all by others.  Likewise, facts are no longer facts as understood in the past.  Now, facts are only whatever select people say are facts.  

When it comes to discussions over the age of the earth, facts are discarded or interpreted differently by a wave of "experts".  All dissenting voices are silenced. 

Our modern culture has become a cancel culture. A culture that uses shame to dismiss any alternative voices.  This means that a particular voice is louder than every other voice to the extent that no other voice is permitted to speak or adduce evidence.  In fact ALL evidence from an alternative voice is immediately labeled as not real (fake) evidence. 

Hence, when I say that these intelligent people are raised in their culture, I mean no disservice to them.  They all appear quite genuine in their views and wish to appear reasonable.  Yet all, also are quite aware, that some topics are untouchable.  Lane might well argue well for the resurrection of Jesus, and he does so with persuasive words, yet, he does not apply the same logic to the question of the age of the earth.  That is a non-negotiable and untouchable subject.  People may well smile at you for believing Jesus rose from the dead, but don't tell me the earth is not old.  The first is considered a religious doctrine, the second a scientific one. The first one people will tolerate because of freedom of religion. The second is a high doctrine of the scientific community. 

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@TheMelioist
Thank you for sharing your journey. I know it is not easy to have such a drastic change in your understanding of the world. Kudos.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@SkepticalOne
Agreed. It is a brave thing to share such a change.  
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Tradesecret

When it comes to discussions over the age of the earth, facts are discarded or interpreted differently by a wave of "experts".  All dissenting voices are silenced. 

Our modern culture has become a cancel culture. A culture that uses shame to dismiss any alternative voices.  This means that a particular voice is louder than every other voice to the extent that no other voice is permitted to speak or adduce evidence.  In fact ALL evidence from an alternative voice is immediately labeled as not real (fake) evidence. 
Yep! You nailed it!!!

This sums up the Dover Trial perfectly!
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@TheMelioist

I'll admit it, I used to think the earth is 6,000 years old, that evolution was fake invention of atheist scientists, and that the Big Bang never happened. This is mostly because I was raised by Young-Earth Creationists, my parents have at least 7 Ken Ham books in Their house. But Also partly because I wasn't exposed to other forms of Christianity.  

I'm no longer a Young-Earth Creationist, and I accept evolution, the Big Bang, and the Age of the Earth (roughly 4.6 billion years).
One of the problems is, since we don't really know/understand creation (the practice of creating a universe), how can we really claim we know how long it took to create?

We're subject to visual perception. And we know it can be faulty. Have you ever walked into a glass window? I have. An entire wall of squeaky clean glass with no markings. I was told it happened a lot, and since then they markings on the glass. Without those markings, it looked like a large exit out of the office. A problem of perception. Not being able to recognize a barrier that prohibits pedestrian access/exit.

When we look out at the stars, are there barriers originating from creation that prohibits accurate visual perception? Or even space travel?

Do you think there was an actual Adam and Eve?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
@TheMelioist
Trade....You are also quite intelligent, and are also a part of the culture that you have been raised in.

I think that this statement sums up an awful lot of people...... Everybody perhaps....Depending upon your measure of "quite".

I accept that the Earth is as old as it is, and I also accept  a GOD principle, and I also accept that an evolutionary principle is a likely consequence of a GOD principle.

But I do not accept the concept of a floaty about bloke, who has existed for ever.

Perhaps a floaty about thing, that goes BOOM every few billion years or so.
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@TheMelioist
If one looks up the actual myths you will see that these mythical gods bear little resemblance to Christ. For instance, mithras came after Christ and was born from a rock, not a virgin and he didn t rise from the dead , nor did he have 12 disciples. This just one example but the others are much the same in that they are only slightly similar Christ.
 I am unable to copy and paste links on my tablet. ( no mouse, no physical keyboard)