PETITION

Author: Wagyu

Total: 63
Wagyu
Debates: 9
Wagyu
As a follow up of my Satanism forum, I am starting a petition where, if successful, users on DART will be able to manually type their preferred gender, and religion. 

Ay

Ay

Ay

Ay

Ay
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@Wagyu
I'm anticipating many Attack Helicopters.

I second this. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I have not problem with it. Pagan is pretty vague and I would love to be more specific. 
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Wagyu
You have my signature
gugigor
Debates: 40
gugigor
Yahoo

8 days later

Wagyu
Debates: 9
Wagyu
bump
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@MisterChris
Attack helicopters? I prefer toasters.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@Mharman
toasters in bathtubs
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
According to the OED, relative to human biologic condition, "gender = sex," i.e., male or female. Only in grammar is "gender" defined as nouns  and pronouns[sometimes verbs] which are masculine, feminine, neutral, or common. Only by cancel culture phenomenon is the biologic condition of "gender" multiplied beyond male and female. Many multi-gender advocates refer to the variations as a ""social construct." Sorry, words mean what they mean. Only by cultural majority do meanings change over time, because culture drives language; not the other way around.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Let's not, the psychological definition, which in terms of gender has more authority than the OED, says they are distinct. No.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Let's not, the psychological definition, ...has more authority than the OED
According to whom? Wiki? You do know what Wiki says of its own accuracy...
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Also, you are just factually incorrect

Usage
On the difference in use between the words sex (in sense 2 above) and gender, see

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
No. Not wiki, the American Psychological Association Dictionary of Psychology

n.1. the condition of being male, female, or neuter. In a human context, the distinction between gender and sex reflects the usage of these terms: Sex usually refers to the biological aspects of maleness or femaleness, whereas gender implies the psychological, behavioral, social, and cultural aspects of being male or female (i.e., masculinity or femininity).
2. in linguistics, a grammatical category in inflected languages that governs the agreement between nouns and pronouns and adjectives.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
the American Psychological Association Dictionary of Psychology
So, the PADP is justifying its own authority? I could do the same, but the claim will not fly any further than your willingness to agree. I'm talking third-party, you know, like peer review? Let someone else of sufficient academic acumen claim the authority in the Shrink Dictionary. Such as https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-the-oxford-english-dictionary-went-from-murderers-pet-project-to-internet-lexicon. for the OED. You might also read "The Professor and the Madman"
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Your quote from lexico does what many dictionaries do, today, trying to be relevant. But in lexico [which, though "powered by oxford' is not the OED] it notes the original use of "gender," not as a sexual or even human societal definition, but one of grammar.  Root cause is the task we seek, which authenticates the OED as the ultimate dictionary of the English lexicon.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Wagyu
As a follow up of my Satanism forum, I am starting a petition where, if successful, users on DART will be able to manually type their preferred gender, and religion. 
100% THIS.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
Do you realize that HERMAPHRODITES were recognized in ancient GREECE?

There are demonstrably more than TWO "sexgenders".

This is not a "new" idea.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
That's an article describing why its a dictionary, not giving it the credentials to have authority over this, the American Psychological Association's Dictionary is the very accreddited. Every dictionary does what you claim, not only that, but the source was not "a peer reviewed article" you are incorrect.

The APA Commission on Accreditation (APA-CoA) is the primary programmatic accreditor in the United States for professional education and training in psychology. As such, it accredits programs, not institutions or individuals. APA-CoA accredits doctoral graduate programs in clinical psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology and combinations of these areas. The Commission also accredits doctoral internships in the aforementioned areas, as well as postdoctoral residencies in traditional (clinical, counseling, school) or specialty areas of health service psychology. 

APA accreditation is voluntary, and there are currently more than 396 accredited doctoral programs, approximately 645 accredited internship programs, and more than 174 accredited postdoctoral residency programs.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
This is not a "new" idea.
Did I say it was? No. And the ancient Greeks, even. in their religion, recognized Hermaphroditus, an androgen of male/female features. Back to the two sex types, just mixed. my distinction holds.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
 Every dictionary does what you claim
No, every dictionary does not.

My OED definition of 'salt' is some 34 column inches. What other dictionary does that? The whole bloody OED, in print from, is 20 volumes of 6- and 8-point type. It comes with a magnifying glass. What other dictionary does that?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
So... you gonna ignore the fact that the APA IS accredited. It has the authority to make that distinction, and the expertise, so I am perfectly justified citing it, and am being more topical then you.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
Petition seconded
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
Back to the two sex types, just mixed.
If you mix yellow and blue you get green.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
Well, at best, that only happens less than one percent, bio-genetically. And I can photoshop back to blue and yellow. And out of none it do you get red.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
Well, at best, that only happens less than one percent, bio-genetically.
How does this change the fact that not everyone is 100% girl or 100% boy?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
By natural means, they are, by a fraction of a percent, both girl and boy - 100% by additive means. This is your original, biological hermaphrodite, yes? Any other means, including by "choice" is an after-the-fact, artificial decision and means to alter what is had at birth. I don't buy artificial as a legit sex or gender, shrinks, or not.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
By natural means, they are, by a fraction of a percent, both girl and boy - 100% by additive means. This is your original, biological hermaphrodite, yes? Any other means, including by "choice" is an after-the-fact, artificial decision and means to alter what is had at birth.
You're also forgetting about KLINEFELTERS SYNDROME AND ANDROGEN INSENSITIVITY.

also.

Some individuals are born with a broken X chromosome that is not quite a Y.  It's like an X but with one short arm.  This can affect their hormone ratios.

also.

HUMANS ARE NOT ROBOTS THAT ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN TWO MODELS.

THE WORLD IS NOT BLACK AND WHITE.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
ALSO.

Why do you care if someone on this website self-identifies as a "girl" or a "boy" or a "potato"?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
I'm not forgetting anything. Yes, nature screws up, sometimes. You cannot, however, observe results and not perceive that at an origin, humans have but two gametes; a male and a female. In the case of biologic hermaphroditism, the person shows external features, and reproductive systems, that are combined male and female in a variety of expressions and functions. But the instance is extremely rare. There is not a resulting "green" gender other than by social, but not biologic construct.  https://www.britannica.com/science/hermaphroditism
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
Frankly, I don't care. However, I'd prefer there be more than "social construct" to demonstrate multiple genders. We don't get to invent how many moons we have. More to the point, we don't socially construct choices of hair color but by artificial means, so why expect we should construct multiple genders? As a demographic, gender does not change anything in our infrastructure but two types of bathrooms, and some private club memberships.