As above, So below

Author: janesix

Total: 11
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
What does this ACTUALLY mean, in literal terms? 

Holographic universe?

Fractal universe?

Ye are Gods?

This has popped up frequently in my synchronicities. Mostly in the form of, that the outside is a reflection of the inside. A while back, I was pretty paranoid that the outside world was LITERALLY a reflection of my inner world, the turmoil, the changing sociopolitical environment (not just the US, but the whole world.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@janesix
its a theme found in the Bible- it connects the above(heavens) to below(Earth)

EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@janesix
What does this ACTUALLY mean, in literal terms?

The most well explained general meaning I could find would be this....."In essence, the expression looks at any place there is a duality, one where half of the duality is deemed “above” while the other half is deemed “below,” and tries to establish a relation between the two."

While the originator of this phrase may have had a specific meaning the phrase itself can have many interpretations because the meaning of it can be applied to various context. The same way in which we use the same catch phrases which can be applied to endless situations.
So a lot of it depends on who's using the phrase to understand what exactly they might be referring to. For example an occultist or a witch of some sorts might be using the phrase as a way of undermining traditional Christian thought. Or it could even be interpreted in the way the Bible states "on earth, as it is in heaven"....A "new ager" might be using it to express all things are ultimately of one origin or expressing a singularity or maybe someone might be trying to say there is reason for all things and so on. So really you have to know the objective of the user.

This has popped up frequently in my synchronicities. Mostly in the form of, that the outside is a reflection of the inside. A while back, I was pretty paranoid that the outside world was LITERALLY a reflection of my inner world, the turmoil, the changing sociopolitical environment (not just the US, but the whole world.)

You can get caught up in a social network or social consciousness if you're not careful. This is where things get weird, this is why you have to be watchful and learn to subdue the mind, the thoughts and the emotions because many times we are being affected by things external to ourselves unknowingly. Powers that be are aware of this factor and use social consciousness as a means to manipulate, influence and control this world in certain directions and it works real well on those who are primarily focused on superficiality and the immediate physical perception. Ironically those being controlled mock outsiders and those who think outside the box and then are deemed stupid, mentally ill, crazy ect ect and they become categorized as outcasts and shunned so that the manipulation may prevail. It happens all the time, you see society being controlled by forces of political, religious and societal trends and then someone comes along and challenges that consciousness and they are targeted, ridiculed and even killed.

This took place in the time of Jesus on a massive scale, where Jesus challenged the authorities that were in control of that part of the world and he was murdered. His message got through because ultimately even though Jesus' message has been deliberately tainted He still managed to alter the face of religion and that power was eventually brought down. Unfortunately it wasn't long before the next power came in and took control, while distorting the same image that came to usher in freedom and the light of God.

Didn't mean to ramble sorry, you just got me thinking about some things. But yeah I get where you're coming from, just be careful and learn to detach yourself from what could be trying to control your output and experiences, your inner peace. Even though you are very much apart of the sociopolitical movement and social consciousness on one level living in this world you also have independence within your inner self/being. This is why I compare consciousness in creation with there being many channels of observation throughout radio signals. You could be thinking and even feeling things that are not even from you because you're the "receiver" so to speak of many various radio signals and frequencies of conscious activity, I know that may sound weird lol but I'm just trying to create an image for you.
It is true as you say on many levels that "the outside is a reflection of the inside" and you just want to make sure you're the watcher and the one who is in control of the conditioning, and the reflection. But if none of this resonates with you just disregard it, sometimes you bring up topics that get me thinking about other similarities!

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Dr.Franklin
With great respect - it is not a biblical idea - because the biblical idea about heaven and earth is not above and below - but heaven and earth together. Heaven on earth. Consider the two great pictures we have of it - like bookends in the Bible - at the beginning and at the end. 

In Genesis - Heaven is pictured as the Garden of Eden - on earth.  When God created - he began with the heavens and the earth. Not with heavens and not with earth - but together. 

Similarly at the end of Revelation - heaven is pictured at the City of Jerusalem - the new heavens on the new earth. 

It is a Greek idea that separates heaven from earth and why we in the West tend to think that way. Yet  The Hebrew idea is much less separate. Remember Jesus pictured his people as coming and going into the kingdom of heaven.  The two are intrinsically linked - not above and below - but together - joined at the hips as it were. 

Whatever Janesix is wanting to know about these aspects of "heaven" - I am merely pointing out I would disagree it is a biblical picture. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Tradesecret

Yet  The Hebrew idea is much less separate. Remember Jesus pictured his people as coming and going into the kingdom of heaven.  The two are intrinsically linked - not above and below - but together - joined at the hips as it were. 
Yeah that is what I was trying to get at too when I said it connects the two together 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Back peddling Doc.

Though you should have stuck to your guns and not fallen for Trades charm.

Biblical Heaven is above the Earth.

Trade just reinterprets accordingly.

And don't pretend that you know what janesix is going on about. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
i dont know what janesix was gettint at
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@janesix
"As above, so below"  or "Quod est superius est sicut quod inferius, et quod inferius est sicut quod est superius" is rooted in Hermeticism. Tradesecret is correct in stating that this has nothing to do with Heaven and Earth. While I agree with EtrnlVw that the phrase can be used in different contexts, it should be noted where the phrase comes from and how it's currently used. The phrase originates from (Hermetic) Mysticism. It renders that "we are the universe, and the universe is us," a concept to which witches, wizards/warlocks subscribe(d.) Currently, it's popularly associated with the Baphomet, an incarnation of Lucifer:

There was a 2014 horror film titled "As Above So Below" (I think it's still on NETFLIX) in which the main characters tunnel through the catacombs of Paris to find the Philosopher's Stone (alchemy.) They would eventually find the gates of Hell.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Athias
I'm glad you commented on this

It renders that "we are the universe, and the universe is us," 

Wow, that's interesting, Do you have any thoughts about that in particular?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@janesix

There is no such thing as a fractal universe. The universe is fractal-like out to many distance scales, but at a certain point, the mathematical form breaks down.
The finding comes from Morag Scrimgeour at the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) at the University of Western Australia in Perth and her colleagues. Using the Anglo-Australian Telescope, the researchers pinpointed the locations of 200,000 galaxies filling a cubic volume 3 billion light-years on a side. The survey, called the WiggleZ Dark Energy Survey, probed the structure of the universe at larger scales than any survey before it.  The researchers found that matter is distributed extremely evenly throughout the universe on extremely large distance scales, with little sign of fractal-like patterns.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@EtrnlVw
Wow, that's interesting, Do you have any thoughts about that in particular?
Those who practiced Hermetic mysticism in part learned that they were conduits for "universal forces," which is just code for Astrological forces informed by Greek, Roman, and Egyptian/Kemetic polytheism. In essence, they are gods as long as they "channel" the "energies" of the Universe.