Yes to Trump and Parler Bans

Author: Danielle

Total: 57
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
I fully and 100% support banning Parler and Trump's twitter account. First, it is important to note that despite the false claims by Trump Jr. et. al,  there is absolutely no first amendment violation at play. Nobody has a right to utilize platforms like Twitter or Google. Business discrimination is permissible so long as it is not predicated on a legally protected class. But of course just because something is legal does not mean it is justified. However, it is easy to argue that banning Trump and Parler from big tech platforms is perfectly justified. 

Not only have Trump and Parler repeatedly violated the terms of service of the platforms that have hosted them, they have arguably used these platforms to facilitate breaking the law. It is entirely possible that Trump could be charged with the crime of inciting violence, in which case these platforms may not feel it is ethical or legal to potentially help him do so. For instance is reported that the tweet which prompted twitter to remove Trump's account is the one where he clarified he would not be attending Joe Biden's inauguration; it was a not so subtle way of telling his violently agitated supporters that they are welcome to attack the event without Trump being in danger.

This is far from being unlikely and it could easily be seen as the intent of his tweet. Just minutes after Giuliani told a crowd of Trump supporters that we should have a "trial by combat," which they celebrated and cheered, Trump told his cult followers to storm the capitol and said he would join them (he didn't) where they proceeded to chant "hang Mike Pence" while frothing at the mouth before scaling the wall + busting open windows at the Capitol building after being let in by some police.

We have seen the president attempt to stage a failed coup which he was reportedly happy about according to sources from inside the White House. We have seen the president utilize social media platforms to peddle false conspiracy theories which threaten the republic and have people calling for civil war, despite the alleged justification proven to have been demonstrably false after investigations. We have routinely seen the president disparage these very platforms he relies on and uses for free, attempting to regulate them into submission despite allegedly being "pro freedom" and "anti authoritarian" which his supporters are obviously too dull to notice is contradictory.  And we have seen the president show no culpability or remorse for any of the damage he continues to cause, including getting some incredibly misguided follower(s) of his shot over his massive lie. 

Despite this, and despite twitter warning him about potentially losing his posting privileges if he continued to fan the flames of a bloodthirsty mob, the insanely narcissistic Mr. Trump simply could not help himself. He ignored twitter's warnings -- just like Parler ignored Apple and Google's repeat warnings of TOS violations -- and as a result he was FINALLY removed. 

Now keep in mind when libertarians and conservatives insist we don't need government regulation, it's because they say the market will regulate itself. The market will weed out the bad apples, right? That's why they are perfectly okay with a Christian baker not baking a gay wedding cake. They insist it is the baker's right to discriminate based on their beliefs, and they say that the market will punish them through boycotts and slander. Well here it is, folks! LIBERTARIANS, REJOICE. We can see the market at work just like you said it would. These private platforms have acted in defense of their deeply held beliefs (among other things I just mentioned above) without the government being able to force them to host these potential criminals.

Or... do "anti authoritarian" conservatives and libertarians suddenly have concerns about private businesses discriminating? o_O HMM. Interesting that the Law and Order enthusiasts would get up in arms (literally, no pun intended) over a private company silencing criminals but will defend to the death the right for bigots to discriminate against people who love someone of the same sex. 

Anyway fuck Trump, fuck Parler, and god help the poor people that have been manipulated into supporting them. 

The most amusing posts are the ones insisting CONSERVATIVE VOICES ARE BEING SILENCED from right-wing pundits and accounts with huge platforms like Fox News, Breitbart, and a bunch of other demented "pro patriot" sources. It's too much. 
Conway
Debates: 0
Conway
-->
@Danielle
Google, Apple, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook are all based out of the San Francisco Bay area of California. 

This really reflects more upon their culture than it does voters, or the White House.

CNN is from Manhattan.  Fox News is based in New York as well, along with MSNBC and NBC.  I think ABC is largely broadcast out of Los Angeles, California.

You mentioned Beitbart.  I do not personally know anyone who takes it seriously enough to admit to reading it.  That company is also based out of California if I'm not mistaken.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Conway
The locations of the company's HQs have nothing to do with the audience the publications service or target.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Thank god we have crony private business to make sure we get the correct information about the world.

What an amazing country we live in today.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
Yeah twitter is so horrifyingly bad that Trump and his cult are having an epic meltdown over his removal. 

Thank god there are so many better alternatives like government officials and administrations to tell us the truth.

You make another excellent point as usual :D And it's totally on topic too! How very on brand. 
Jasmine
Jasmine
I agree, but they say Twitter is a public company/business.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
Trump who?

I'll have to remind you that the Electoral College has confirmed Joe Biden as President-Elect.

Authoritative sources are the most reliable (and safe) sources.
Jasmine
Jasmine
Are private companies and private business the same? Idk lol.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
Authoritative sources are the most reliable (and safe) sources.

Tucker Carlson's briefcase is the most safe and reliable source of all. 

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Jasmine
Twitter is a private corporation that is publicly traded on the stock market. This simply means that anyone in the public can buy a share of twitter. Having their stock publicly traded makes them a “public corporation,” but they are a private company because they exist in the private (non-government) sector of the market. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
Tucker Carlson's briefcase is the most safe and reliable source of all. 

Correct. He has donated plenty to crony private media.

It's absolutely authorized information.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
“Liberals used to be funny. They edited magazines like National Lampoon. They had a claim on cool. Then something happened. They became sour and earnest and neurotic about secondhand smoke. The Democratic party became the party of the uptight establishment, the that’s-not-funny-young-man party, the party of no fun.”
-Tucker tha God
Conway
Debates: 0
Conway
-->
@Jasmine
Are private companies and private business the same? Idk lol.
Closely held corporations can be treated differently than public companies according to the law.  Both are considered a matter of private business.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
so the left is ok with a  few megacorporation's determining what we are allowed to say and think on the internet?

i would say thats a new low, a very steep low to think that
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Danielle
agreed.  no constitutional provision compels any American corporation to help organize treasonous lynch mobs. 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Dr.Franklin
so the left is ok with a  few megacorporation's determining what we are allowed to say and think on the internet?

#1 You have no right to be on the internet. #2 Businesses have a right to discriminate. #3 Conservatives and libertarians are the ones who consistently advocate for a business' right to discriminate, and for the government to not be able to force a business to provide service if they ideologically disagree (now ya'll are just whining because YOU'RE the ones being discriminated against, but you have no problem when it's gay people that are discriminated against haha EAT SHIT).

#4 There are plenty of spaces for conservatives to continue peddling their false conspiracy theories and regurgitating lies. For instance I see ya'll do it on this website every single day. #5 Conservatives are still all over twitter and not being silenced; they are being tweeted and retweeted and cited by the media and consistently referenced and shared, so they're all still there unless they're calling for a blood thirsty mob (though I still see lots of people stupidly post that, and I tag the FBI under those posts... god the Trump cult is stupid).

#6 You aren't allowed to violate the terms of service of an agreement. If you do, you lose your alleged right to continue use. #7 Trump was silenced, and Parler is being silenced, because they are tools for instigating violence. Trump literally committed the crime of inciting violence if you read the words of the statute cited in the House impeachment. That is absolutely, positively, 100% not protected speech and no platform should have to host Trump spreading misinformation to help him start a civil war and upend a lawful election.

It's hilarious that Trump complains about twitter on twitter and thinks they should have to host him. That's like me saying you have to let me in your restaurant and allow me to stand on the tables and scream about how shitty the food is. Don't like it? Leave. That's freedom baby. The hypocrisy and cry baby whines of legally ignorant and morally repugnant, bootlocking conservative cucks for Trump is so shameful. Usually amusing, sometimes scary, and always pathetic. 

Stop watching Hannity and Tucker lol. Fox News is good until like 7 or 8pm. 

Jasmine
Jasmine
-->
@Danielle
I feel like your just twisting words so that they correlate with your beliefs 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Jasmine
It is common knowledge what public vs. private company means. You are free to Google and see that my description was correct. If you choose to remain ignorant on what those terms mean, that is your prerogative. 
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman

Why?
Jasmine
Jasmine
-->
@Danielle
But Twitter is a public company. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Danielle
#1 You have no right to be on the internet.
irrelevant point

#2 Businesses have a right to discriminate
not when it comes to big tech-

"In principle, restrictions on Big Tech can be constitutional. In its March 2019 report, the Congressional Research Service concluded that such restrictions could be legal if social media sites “threaten the use of the medium for communicative or expressive purposes …”[1]

"In its 1994 decision in Turner Broadcasting, the Supreme Court ruled that the Cable Act's must-carry provisions might satisfy intermediate First Amendment scrutiny, but the Court rested that conclusion on ‘special characteristics of the cable medium: the bottleneck monopoly power exercised by cable operators and the dangers this power poses to the viability of broadcast television…’ When a cable operator has bottleneck power, the Court explained, it can ‘silence the voice of competing speakers with a mere flick of the switch’ …  In subsequently upholding the must-carry provisions, the Court reiterated that cable's bottleneck monopoly power was critical to the First Amendment calculus … The Court stated that ‘cable operators possess[ed] a local monopoly over cable households …”[1]

#3 Conservatives and libertarians are the ones who consistently advocate for a business' right to discriminate, and for the government to not be able to force a business to provide service if they ideologically disagree
which to correct for businesses who serve products, not publishers and big tech giants, it was a local  business, not a publisher who advocates for ideas and has a monopoly

now ya'll are just whining because YOU'RE the ones being discriminated against, but you have no problem when it's gay people that are discriminated against haha EAT SHIT)
the only ones who are eating shit is twitter who lost 500b dollars in market value since the trump ban[2] 

#4 There are plenty of spaces for conservatives to continue peddling their false conspiracy theories and regurgitating lies. For instance I see ya'll do it on this website every single day. 
No there isnt, this isnt a large platform at all and all of the platforms like Parler are pushed off by monopolies like Apple. the only regurgitaing lies are from the left because almost every case of police brutality has been debunked, to i cant breathe, hands up dont shoot, and  russia collusion, the pathalogical liers are all on the left.

#5 Conservatives are still all over twitter and not being silenced; they are being tweeted and retweeted and cited every single day so they're all still there. 
so what? it is obvious that big tech wants to influence elections from their algoriminth to censorship

#6 You aren't allowed to violate the terms of service of an agreement. If you do, you lose your alleged right to continue use.

trump didnt violate any TOS services, the reason why he was perm banned  because of the tweet

“To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.”[3]

Please show and demonstrate why it is a violation of TOS

#7 Trump was silenced, and Parler is being silenced, because they are tools for instigating violence. Trump literally committed the crime of inciting violence if you read the words of the statute cited in the House impeachment. That is absolutely, positively, 100% not protected speech and no platform should have to host Trump spreading misinformation to help him start a civil war and upend a lawful election.

that is a lie, trump did not incite violence, that is a Post hoc ergo propter hoc. In his speech he also said-

"I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

It's hilarious that Trump complains about twitter on twitter and thinks they should have to host him. That's like me saying you have to let me in your restaurant and allow me to stand on the tables and scream about how shitty the food is.
nope not at all, you would be most likely violating the restaurants rules and disturbing others, trump never violated the TOS and twitter rules.

That's freedom baby. The hypocrisy and cry baby whines of legally ignorant and morally repugnant, bootlocking conservative cucks for Trump is repugnant. Usually amusing, sometimes scary, and always pathetic. 

the only thing that is legally ignorant are democrats trying to impeach trump over false claims

Stop watching Hannity and Tucker lol. Fox News is good until like 7 or 8pm. 
I dont

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@drafterman

Why?

the idea of souless evil corporations that have no regard for anything(including their fake gay pride and BLM stunts) deciding what ideas and news companies can be on their monopolous platforms to interfere with democratily elected elections which doesn't concern the left is a pretty bad thing

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Good thing they aren't monopolies, then.

There are plenty of issues regarding these massive social media companies and how they collect information on users, what they do with that information, and their decisions on what material they allow and disallow. Sure.

But literally making them mouth pieces of the State is worse. It's text book totalitarian.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@drafterman
the government can easily bring big tech to its knees, its done it to tiktok and microsoft in the 90's
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Not sure what that has to do with anything I said. 

But you haven't explained why it's a "new low" for a company to set up a platform, create rules for it's platform, and then enforce those rules.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@drafterman
well that isnt why i said it was a new low- i said it was a new low because  the left is ok with a  few megacorporation's determining what we are allowed to say and think on the internet?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
They're allowed to do that because it's their platforms and they set the rules for their platforms and you agree to it when you sign up for those platforms. Why is it a "low" to be ok with that? Especially when the alternative is to make private corporations State mouthpieces?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@drafterman
there were no rule violations and adding on to the fact that this is a coordinated effort to steer the country left
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Danielle
Who censors? Weak minds who refuse to hear alternative critical thinking. Of what are they afraid to hear? Democracy should not, and a real democracy is not afraid to hear anything. What can words do? Who is incited by words? Weak minds who do not have the strength of their own self control. 
There are three kinds of people in the world:
make things happen [by action, not words]
watch what happens [too weak to be involved]
wonder what happened [too dumb to be involved]
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
there were no rule violations and adding on to the fact that this is a coordinated effort to steer the country left
You're missing the point: It's their platform, they get to say who can be on it. Why is this a problem for you?