Secret, why?

Author: janesix

Total: 8
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
Why are secret societies, like the masons, rosicrutians etc secret? They are supposedly modern mystery schools, and the ancient mystery schools were secret as well. What's the secret, and why are they hiding? I can understand that during the middle ages that they had to hide things from the church, but before and after that? What's the deal?
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@janesix
The freemasons are a christian organization that traces their origins to the original masons that built king solomon's temple in the bible. I've personally decoded a handful of masonic texts and it's mostly rituals and codephrases. They have levels of membership and you have to have some kind of craftsman ability to be considered. Master mason is I believe the highest rank, and usually is obtainable after like 20 years as a mason.

"I have seen his star in the East, and I have come to worship him."
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@janesix
Why are secret societies, like the masons, rosicrutians etc secret? They are supposedly modern mystery schools, and the ancient mystery schools were secret as well. What's the secret, and why are they hiding? I can understand that during the middle ages that they had to hide things from the church, but before and after that? 

It's always the case where the self proclaimed "elite" have access to information, powers or motives that no one else should except for those who believe they are equipped to handle it or capable of carrying out the intent. Secret societies and groups are basically like little clubs on larger scales. Remember as kids there would be some brat that would start a club and try and keep all outsiders from gaining access to it lol? it's the same premise really where some brat or brats have access to something or have special interests and then tries to keep it only accessible to the "privileged" or some bull like that. You'll usually see some type of silly initiation, rituals or ceremony involved with those permitted to belong. And the more secretive the source the more bizarre the initiations and rituals.
Then there are societies or powers that are open to the public but have inner hierarchies within the organizations that are kept secret from the majority eye. In any case it most likely signals someone's up to no good.
This is more of a mentality and ones that mostly have ulterior motives so it's nothing really rational, reasonable or ethical so asking "why" might not get you very far. I mean there may be situations where this type of mentality could prove to be reasonable but usually secrets play out to have negative consequences.

What's the deal?

There are many factors involved so it's not that simplistic to answer depending on whom we're discussing. Remembering that forces and authorities extend beyond the immediate physical realm and that they have real influence over this world is something to consider. They of course have motives, interests and intentions so it's not always easy to uncover.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@janesix
Athias is a good person to get with, he seems to have put a lot of time and effort into researching this sort of behavior. So I would consider what he might have to say about it. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
It's basically an iteration of our pack animal nature,  plus the appeal of supposed secret knowledge. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
If your not willing to do the work and show some loyalty why should they share. There are all kinds of debated on witches keeping their craft secret. Some think you should share with new people to the craft and some think it takes power from your work. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
@Sum1hugme
It's just groups of people who like to think that they are special.

And freemasonry has long since had anything to do with craftsmanship......It's simply a social club, based on wealth and status.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@janesix
Why are secret societies, like the masons, rosicrutians etc secret? They are supposedly modern mystery schools, and the ancient mystery schools were secret as well. What's the secret, and why are they hiding? I can understand that during the middle ages that they had to hide things from the church, but before and after that? What's the deal?
The original secrets of the freemasons were probably masonic in nature.  That is, the correct proportions and weights and  measurements and recipes required to raise a roof hundreds of feet in the air, the secrets of making an arch or a dome- those were incredibly valuable trade secrets that were worth guarding during the Middle Ages.  As the guilds separated more from church and state,  I think the secrets became more about the promotion of democratic governments- Masons were at the core of most of the big early revolutions in the Americas and Europe.

I don't think the Masons are currently guarding any really valuable secrets but its hard to tell with secrets.